Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2013, 11:41 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,615,724 times

Advertisements

Backing up to woodsy areas or creeks and lakes will definitely make them more plentiful. Most are indeed harmless though. I live about 2 blocks from the lake and see maybe 1 or 2 snakes a year but all so far all have been harmless. The biggest was a 4 foot water snake. When I owned lakefront property, I saw a lot more of them and poisonous ones too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 AM

62 posts, read 143,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ObamneyI View Post
Where did you buy? Only lucky one gets a wooded backyard in DFW, most homes have alleys or share fence with back door neighbors.
Wont be buying until summer at the earliest as I wont be moving there permanently until the school year ends here in WI. It seems the market is heating up there though right looking at listings online in demand areas, especially those on greenspace and with good schools.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:44 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,829,411 times
Worry more about the wild rabbits eating your garden. I didn't know they liked roses and my new ones are decimated.

Old 03-04-2013, 11:53 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
Too much Tom T Hall?

Sneaky Snake Lyrics - Tom T. Hall

Snakes are rare in the DFW area because there are few locations to overwinter due to the clay soil and the fact that the domestic cats keep the rodent population down. They also have to worry about owls or possums eating them or their babies.

I do see a few water moccasins in the creeks and water snakes in the ponds. baby copperheads are common along the creek banks. But again, possums are rough on snakes. But never up near homes.

Further West on the stony ground they become more numerous but even then do not have as much to eat due to cats - and predation is just as high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC74 View Post
At about two foot tall she was an absolutely awesome creature and I'm sure along with the bald eagle would be peerless in the air.
Owls are crow magnets. They do not look so regal with crows or mockingbrids hounding them.

Old 03-04-2013, 12:04 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
If you are near a body of water in Texas, just assume there will be water moccasins. Those are poisonous, and the females are known to be aggressive when defending their nests.

Personally, I would never want a house that backed up to a creek or lake. I'm terrified of snakes!

Old 03-04-2013, 02:02 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
New development can cause snakes to roam more as their habitat is disrupted. My place of work in Frisco borders a wetland and we saw several on the grounds the first couple of years after construction was completed, but since then rarely see one.

I saw snakes much more often when I lived in metro Atlanta than I do here in DFW. As others have mentioned, if you don't mess with them, they will scurry out of your way quickly.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:20 PM

29 posts, read 45,821 times
I butt up to a farm in Mckinney and I never see 'em. Good news is that the rattlesnake roundup is this weekend in Sweetwater, so that should suffice as your damage control

Old 03-04-2013, 02:32 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
Are there any rattlesnakes in the Dallas area?

Old 03-04-2013, 02:43 PM

87 posts, read 135,504 times
I've lived near mountains, beach,woods, creeks, lakes all my life. So good sooooo(54 years) far. I love nature and refuse to live in a bubble. Plano has its fair share of water bodies, green spaces and woods, that is what makes it tolerable to live in a DFW burb.

There are rattle snakes but I've yet to see one and its been years since I moved to Collin County.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:47 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,405,851 times
My yard in Plano has snakes - tiny black or green ones about 6" to 10" long. They are very slender, thinner than a pencil. I've probably seen a half dozen in the few years I've lived in this house. Also lots of tiny gekos, many that are albino.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas