Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 11:43 AM

456 posts, read 1,170,172 times

Advertisements

If I were to be living in one of the financial districts of either Dallas or Houston, would there be a difference in rent and am I looking at around $1000/month to rent a room in someone's apartment?

Also, which city is better suited for someone without a car? (assuming I will be living in the main business downtown).

And is there a large difference in weather? I personally can't stand humidity during the summer and I scream at the sight of bugs, so is Dallas a better choice weather-wise? I LOVE the cold. I know Texas doesn't sound like the best option for someone that loves the cold, but I'm mostly looking at Dallas and Houston, because of low taxes and a lower cost of living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 12:16 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times
You can find a nice small apartment in a good neighborhood for under a $1000 in either. Neither are good for someone without a car. They are both humid, but Houston is noticeably more humid. There are bugs in both. It's a personal preference choice, both are similar. Houston is on the coast, so you may prefer the weather in Dallas.

I would be happy in either. In fact, I've been looking for jobs in Houston.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 03-08-2013 at 12:30 PM..

Old 03-08-2013, 12:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Both are great for young professionals. Both are incredibly difficult without a car; Dallas may be slightly better but you will be extremely limited on where you can live & work (need to be on DART rail line; busses are so slow).

Both are hot & Houston is quite humid- think about that while waiting for a bus or train (or walking or biking) in your work attire when it's 95 and 90% humid in Houston (or just a steaming 105 in Dallas). Summer lasts from May through end of September and highs are in the 90's-100's for most of those 5 months.

I'd suggest looking for a $600 share and buying a car with the other $400. You should be able to easlily find a 2 BR share in a less trendy, but close in, area of Dallas for $1200/mo.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:18 PM

18 posts, read 28,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieinDallas View Post
You can find a nice small apartment in a good neighborhood for under a $1000 in either. Neither are good for someone without a car. They are both humid, but Houston is noticeably more humid. There are bugs in both. It's a personal preference choice, both are similar. Houston is on the coast, so you may prefer the weather in Dallas.

I would be happy in either. In fact, I've been looking for jobs in Houston.

Don't believe any of this, I live here just fine with no car at all. It is very doable.

Old 03-08-2013, 01:22 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maloy View Post
Don't believe any of this, I live here just fine with no car at all. It is very doable.
I said it's not good for someone without a car, not that it's impossible not to have one. It's much easier to drive here, and public transportation takes much longer to use, compared to cities like NYC or DC. It's getting better, but let's be realistic

Old 03-08-2013, 01:27 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,747,091 times
If you do not have a car, do not get a job in either city where you have to go visit clients or go to business lunches. Taxi service in Dallas is not as good as NYC either.

Old 03-09-2013, 09:45 PM

1,187 posts, read 1,420,043 times
I live in Houston, but I pretty much agree with the advice given already. If you moved to Houston and hated the humidity and bugs, I imagine you'd regret not going to Dallas. But ... anywhere in the eastern half of Texas might be too buggy and muggy for your taste, despite that.

I don't know about the bus systems in the two cities, but DART is way ahead of Houston in light rail. So, if you could orient your life around that, Dallas would be a better choice.

Decisions like this involve a lot of personal choices and can also be swayed by random chance of events and places. However, I'll repeat the advice I've seen elsewhere: if you have a much more attractive job offer in one of the places, take it. You'd get a nice think to put in your resume and you are still young enough to move elsewhere if you wind up not liking the city.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:27 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
I'd suggest looking for a $600 share and buying a car with the other $400. You should be able to easlily find a 2 BR share in a less trendy, but close in, area of Dallas for $1200/mo.

Without a car, your employment options in DFW are extremely limited. For example, you can't even get to/from DFW airport on a Sunday using public transit because the TRE train doesn't run on Sunday...

Old 03-10-2013, 08:42 AM

456 posts, read 1,170,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post

Without a car, your employment options in DFW are extremely limited. For example, you can't even get to/from DFW airport on a Sunday using public transit because the TRE train doesn't run on Sunday...
Well, all of the companies I will be applying to are in the downtown (and actually happen to be a few blocks from each other in the very center), so I would live a few blocks away in any case. How much would it cost to take a taxi to the airport?

Old 03-10-2013, 09:23 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Taxi from downtown to DFW is about $50... There are shuttle services but they aren't much cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: