Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2013, 07:15 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times

Advertisements

I've noticed a lot of smaller homes being torn down in the Lakewood area and huge 2 story homes being built in their place. These newer homes are looming over their neighbors with very little space between them. I can't help but feel these towering homes are ruining the next door neighbors privacy as well as available light and are creating a domino effect, since often the small homes are put up for sale once the larger homes are built.

I would hate it if I were forced to move because my neighbor wanted a huge home (which do not fit in with the general look of the neighborhood imo). Anyone going through this? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2013, 09:47 AM

6,125 posts, read 7,471,004 times
No one is being 'forced' to move. You may want to talk with some of the owners of the older and smaller homes in Lakewood to see how they feel. Many of the tear-downs are/were outdated houses owned by older people that either die or need to live elsewhere, or the homes are owned by people that want a newer/larger home and their house has not been updated in many decades. The land value [alone] of the tear-downs is often $350k or more, and the structure is not worth saving...or just a part of it is saved and used. Many of the people living in the older homes like seeing the value of their property increasing - others not because of the property tax. But...no one is being 'forced' to move as you exclaim.

Old 03-10-2013, 10:06 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,282,852 times
I, too, love the original look & character of older neighborhoods and generally detest when new homes are built that don't fit into the original scale and range of architecture. However, if you buy in a neighborhood that hasn't been designated a "historic district" or "conservation district", that's a risk you take. The flip side is that historic / conservation districts often have so many rules about new construction (on Swiss Avenue , can only tear down & rebuild after a fire or other debilitating disaster), paint colors, architectural details, etc that house values don't rise/fall like they would on a more "open market" neighborhood.

If you #1 preference is the integrity of the neighborhood's character, I would recommend looking at the conservation / historic districts in East Dallas. You will probably want to read through the districts' bylaws so you clearly understand what rights homeowners do and don't have with regards to altering/ improving their properties.

Welcome to the City of Dallas, Texas - Sustainable Development and Construction
City of Dallas, Texas - Landmark Districts

Old 03-10-2013, 11:32 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highcotton View Post
No one is being 'forced' to move. You may want to talk with some of the owners of the older and smaller homes in Lakewood to see how they feel. Many of the tear-downs are/were outdated houses owned by older people that either die or need to live elsewhere, or the homes are owned by people that want a newer/larger home and their house has not been updated in many decades. The land value [alone] of the tear-downs is often $350k or more, and the structure is not worth saving...or just a part of it is saved and used. Many of the people living in the older homes like seeing the value of their property increasing - others not because of the property tax. But...no one is being 'forced' to move as you exclaim.
That was the point of my posting.

Old 03-10-2013, 03:52 PM

21 posts, read 34,360 times
Most of the original homes in Lakewood proper are small (2200-3000 sq ft), single-story, and old (1920-1950) by today's standards. But remember they were considered upper middle class to upper class homes in their prime. Today many of those homes are still in great shape because they have been remodeled and/or expanded. A few of those original homes have not been updated and/or have become rundown over the decades, typically because the owner is elderly, perhaps alone with the passing of his/her spouse, and is enjoying his/her last years in his/her house without doing maintenance/repairs for the long-term. The homes that are getting torn down are these non-updated and/or rundown homes. It's a net positive for the neighborhood in my mind, and as the former owner of one of the smaller, original homes and now one of the larger, newer homes I can say that most (not all, but the vast majority) of the new homes are very well constructed and fit in with the character of the neighborhood (which let's be honest is mostly about the trees, hills and proximity to White Rock Lake and its many creeks).

My data points below are my own estimates (YMMV).

The smaller, original homes that are not updated sell for land value. In 2008, this would have been $280-$400K. Today, it's $325-$450K. More acreage, distance from the big roads and the lake, trees, all make a difference.

The smaller, original homes that are updated sold for approximately $200+/sq ft in 2008 and today sell for close to $250/sq ft. See example below. Hard to believe a small, old home is selling for over $750K, but I see them listed and sold quickly all the time now.

6904 Bob O Link Drive, Dallas, TX 75214 - MLS/Listing # 11911927

The larger, newer homes are all over the map. A bare bones, semi-custom spec would sell for $180/sq ft minimum in 2008, and now typically sells for $200/sq ft and up. These would be Blanchard, J. Gregory, Ron Davis type homes, which are all great quality but still generally designed and built for high end mass appeal. The higher-end custom builders (Maestri, Michael S. Wilson, Newport Group, More Design, and a few others) are typically considerably more.

The above is meant to say that the new homes are not a threat, but instead a boon, to the neighborhood. They are designed and built to fit in the neighborhood. They replace worn out old homes. They complement the well-maintained old homes -- like the originals, their styles are unique: spanish, modern, traditional, italian/mediterranean, prairie/craftsman. . If you envision Lakewood in 10, 20 or more years, most of the homes will be larger, two story homes, will have been remodeled since around this time and, of the original Lakewood homes, only the best maintained older homes (and in particular the old mansions on Lakewood, Tokalon, etc.) will remain. It will continue to be a cohesive, beautiful neighborhood and will continue to appeal to professionals working downtown, who want to be near the action and who want exceptional schools and the character of trees, hills and water. Again, enjoy the change, as it's good for your neighborhood and for your property value.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:43 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
Also see NSOs, which are not quite as restrictive as conservation districts but regulate the setbacks, height and some size issues: Welcome to the City of Dallas, Texas - Sustainable Development and Construction

Some of us remember when the northern parts of University Park looked a lot like the northern part of Lakewood, with maybe slightly larger homes. In the late 70s, well-built one story ranch style homes started to be torn down for new two-story homes.

This seems to be taking off north of Lakewood Elementary and most of that area is not under any restrictions.

Yes, some of us lament this because it's changing the area from what we loved and also for us "Lakewood Lifers" it's often the home of somebody we knew.

Old 03-11-2013, 08:59 AM

2,206 posts, read 4,745,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I can't help but feel these towering homes are ruining the next door neighbors privacy as well as available light and are creating a domino effect, since often the small homes are put up for sale once the larger homes are built.

I would hate it if I were forced to move because my neighbor wanted a huge home (which do not fit in with the general look of the neighborhood imo). Anyone going through this? Thoughts?
I cannot believe that people still live in those tiny shacks in Lakewood, with the dry rot taking over the roof and the foundation problems causing cracks everywhere. And the plumbing problems in the slabs...what a mess. And the ratty landscaping. Someone should do something about this - maybe pass a law to force everyone to join an HOA so we would not have any more eyesores.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:45 PM

82 posts, read 126,442 times
Slabs? Your attempt at sarcasm falls short by displaying a lack of knowledge about the area.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:08 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I've noticed a lot of smaller homes being torn down in the Lakewood area and huge 2 story homes being built in their place. These newer homes are looming over their neighbors with very little space between them. I can't help but feel these towering homes are ruining the next door neighbors privacy as well as available light and are creating a domino effect, since often the small homes are put up for sale once the larger homes are built.

It's simple economics.

Old 03-11-2013, 07:10 PM

19,769 posts, read 18,055,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnabasc View Post
Slabs? Your attempt at sarcasm falls short by displaying a lack of knowledge about the area.
There are plenty of slab homes in Lakewood - same with Preston Hollow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas