Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2013, 04:14 PM

32 posts, read 61,541 times

Advertisements

After an appraisal and being listed by a broker specializing in REO, I don't understand how this could have slipped through.

Here's the message:

"This is a courtesy notice to let you know we are currently working on the following title issues that have been recently brought to our attention:

Potential bankruptcy against foreclosed party

Please keep in mind these issues, if unresolved may delay closing. Purchaser has the right to cancel or may wish to wait for resolution. If purchaser chooses to wait for resolution, HUD will only allow up to 2 extensions (30 days) and I cannot guarantee if or when these issues will be resolved. HUD will not be responsible for or reimburse purchaser any additional expenses incurred."

Do I have any recourse against the broker if I lose the house?
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 04:18 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,375 times
nope. But it's good that you found it now, vs. being informed after you've moved in and are then evicted.

Old 03-11-2013, 04:26 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,683,373 times
No you don't have recourse against the broker. They accepted the listing in good faithl and the purpose of a title search is to discover "muddy" titles. If you are extra nervous, go ahead and phone the title company and ask what the progress is in a few days. If the house was vacant when you viewed it, I believe it will probably be resolved.

Old 03-11-2013, 05:02 PM

501 posts, read 1,462,926 times
Appraisers don't check the "cleanliness" of title, we only verify the current listed owner. That's the purpose of the title search.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:21 AM

4,207 posts, read 15,253,696 times
What HUD says and what they do are 2 different things a lot of times. There are always exceptions.

They will reimburse you your earnest money but depending on what other expenses you have into it, inspection and appraisal (if you're doing an FHA loan, you shouldn't have paid for the appraisal). They are indeed in breach of contract and your Realtor should fight to get all the monies your are out.

You may want to seek legal advice from an actual lawyer or legal forums.

Naima

Old 03-12-2013, 07:04 AM

32 posts, read 61,541 times
I've cancelled the inspection until this is resolved and expect no further expenses. Does anyone have any insight or opinion as to the likelihood of this being resolved in less than 2 months' time? That is my window before HUD delists the property.

Old 03-12-2013, 07:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,274,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris006 View Post
I've cancelled the inspection until this is resolved and expect no further expenses. Does anyone have any insight or opinion as to the likelihood of this being resolved in less than 2 months' time? That is my window before HUD delists the property.
I found out before I even attempted to refinance my house that my house does not have clean title; a subcontractor sent me a 'courtesy' letter informing me of a lien he filed on my house over three and a half years ago. I just found out about it in January. I can't sell or refinance until it's cleared. (The lien is completely invalid and he would never ever be able to get one thin dime from me in court. My GC did not pay the sub. Sucks to be him, but it's not my problem.)

I immediately contacted a lawyer and we got the ball rolling on a threatening letter to the sub explaining in excruciating detail why the lien was BS. He agreed to sign a lien release if I agreed to sign a release of liability. My lawyer and I are waiting for the sub to sign these docs, which he said he would do. We should have them in hand this week, hopefully filed with the county the end of this week or early next.

Start to finish this process will have burned up 2 months and $200 of my money...and that's friend prices. And that's me being proactive and the sub being civil, agreeing to talk and deal, and not dragging their feet.

I doubt you'll get this resolved in 60 days.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:06 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,092,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cris006 View Post

LOL! Possible, but EXTREMELY unlikely. Probabilities are in the 95-98% range it doesn't happen in time. Unless you want to spend money and get a lawyer involved...but even that won't guarantee the 60 day window.

Old 03-12-2013, 11:57 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,556,577 times
I'd walk at this point unless this house is a real deal. Buying a foreclosure that had no issues like this was hell for us and took SOOO long with so many threats. I doubt 60 days will be enough.

Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 PM

2,348 posts, read 4,817,400 times
Run as fast as you can..There are too many homes with clean titles to bother with this one.

I am at the tail of a nasty title issue. Took 4 years to resolve. The land laws aren't in your favor, and even when they are don't make much sense or have any teeth. I would recommend bailing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: