Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2013, 06:12 PM

3 posts, read 4,565 times

Advertisements

Hi all --

I have seen all kinds of variations of questions about the nuances of the 30-days-to-get registration, 90 days to get drivers license law in TX, but haven't seen anything about this particular issue.

I'll preface this by saying: it was stupid of me, and I should've paid better attention.

The problem: my husband and I have two cars, one in his name, one in mine (they were each of ours before we married). We were new residents here in December. Our cars were registered effective December 13th. Somewhere in my brain I knew that I had 90 days to get my license, but I totally just blanked on this and remembered today that I need to do this. Anyway, it is March 21st today, which I calculated is about a week or so over 90 days from the day we registered the cars.

My question is, since I have to show the registration when I go get my DL at the DMV (or DPS or whatEVER it's called here in TX), are they going to give me any problems about this?? -- I'll go like, tomorrow, but I'm pretty darn nervous now. I'm guessing this is the type of thing where the fine for breaking this law would be secondary to another offense/being pulled over for a traffic violation -- or am I wrong and are there any fines I could incur or any trouble I could get into AT the DMV for this??

Thanks in advance. I'm flaky, but usually not THIS flaky
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 06:15 PM

212 posts, read 408,727 times
I moved to TX just short of 4 years ago. I let well over a year go by before I got my drivers license although the car was registered in TX. They didn't mention it at the DMV at all. Just make sure you have all the paperwork in order - ID, proof of insurance, social security card, etc.

Old 03-21-2013, 06:29 PM

awesome, and a relief to hear, thank you.

I have to say that I, in my naivety, thought that moving from a blue state to a red state I could expect to encounter less government red tape. Holy moley was I wrong -- I really think I could adopt a child with less information than they are asking of me for my driver's license!!

I'll just be glad to have it taken care of. If anyone else has any experience with this they could tell me I'd appreciate it as well. Thanks again.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:20 PM

440 posts, read 863,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac7778 View Post
awesome, and a relief to hear, thank you.

I have to say that I, in my naivety, thought that moving from a blue state to a red state I could expect to encounter less government red tape. Holy moley was I wrong -- I really think I could adopt a child with less information than they are asking of me for my driver's license!!

I'll just be glad to have it taken care of. If anyone else has any experience with this they could tell me I'd appreciate it as well. Thanks again.
I guess they want to make sure you are who you say who you are! You think that's bad try getting all the paperwork for a "green card"-now that's paperwork!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:28 PM

yeah, I can't even imagine. My understanding though is that Texas is just about the most restrictive state in terms of drivers licensing laws (e.g. most other states don't require you to disclose all cars you have registered, don't require proof of SSN, etc).

It's not a particular inconvenience to me because I keeping all my important things organized is the one way I'm not flaky I just hadn't realized how involved it would be here.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:37 PM

440 posts, read 863,945 times
Quote:
yeah, I can't even imagine. My understanding though is that Texas is just about the most restrictive state in terms of drivers licensing laws (e.g. most other states don't require you to disclose all cars you have registered, don't require proof of SSN, etc).

It's not a particular inconvenience to me because I keeping all my important things organized is the one way I'm not flaky I just hadn't realized how involved it would be here.
They require you disclose it-You check the box on the form to say yes or no-we did this just a few months ago-really not a big deal-s/s number (the actual card) is usually the big problem for most-I remembered mine-my hubby didn't! But we went down the road and had it sorted very quickly-they were very nice about it-unlike most other places I have gone when getting my license done-they even saved our spot so when we got back we didn't have to wait!

Old 03-21-2013, 07:40 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,182,828 times
Quote:

I've often said in the forum to those asking about a move to Texas, 'Be sure you WANT to move to Texas. Nothing like making the move only to discover you've landed in the pits of hell.' But then, once you've done the paper work, it's easier to stay. As long as you've got good air conditioning.

Welcome home

Old 03-22-2013, 07:25 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,147,614 times
DPS employees are overworked and generally apathetic. They don't have time to lecture you because they have a whole building full of people trying to get licenses. Just bring your required paperwork and you should be fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas