Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 07:11 PM

27 posts, read 53,256 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I have only made one post on here a year ago when I was planning on moving back to Dallas. I was born in Carrollton and then my parents started moving us cross country every year in 1973 when I was 8 1/2 years old. We did come back to west Plano in 1977 but left again in 1978. I have been in Phoenix (Scottsdale) since 1996 and off and on since 1974.

I moved back here in October and am in an apt looking now for a house. I have been approved for a mortgage up to $250K which I actually thought was low bc I make $110K/yr and have $115K sitting in my savings acct from my home sale in Phoenix. I have no debt, no loans, no credit cards, etc...but that's ok because with the crazy high property taxes I reckon I'd better aim for a lower price!!

I'm currently living off of Marsh and Forest by the LBJ. I work at the Dallas medical center on Webb Chapel and LBJ. I attend church and sing in choirs at St Rita's at Inwood and the LBJ by the Galleria. I love shopping at the Whole Foods and Central Market on Preston. I would LOVE to live in that area but sadly cannot afford it.

I have looked at multiple zip codes including 75234, 75229, 75240, and 75243.

I have been with a realtor almost three weeks now. Aside from the area that I cannot afford off Preston, my favorite area seems to be the Brookhaven country club area in Farmers Branch 75234. Today after work he took me to north Lake Highlands that is in the Richardson school district. I saw a couple so so houses but I had one that just clicked with me and I am seriously contemplating it.

However I know next to nothing about that area. That house is in the Forest Meadows area of 75243. It's south of the LBJ but not by much.

If anyone out there has any insights on good vs bad in each area, I would love to hear your opinions. Obviously Brookhaven is a stones throw from where I work but I am not taking that into account as much as I'm in the medical profession and I change jobs more frequently I think than most people. Some areas in 75243 are sketchy and once you get out of this area where the house I like is, there are some iffy shopping areas. I don't know if its because I'm so used to Preston and Forest down to Royal where I always shop bc it's so much nicer and so everything looks worse or....

I am at St Rita's every Wed night till 930pm for choir and then sing up to two Masses on Sunday mornings. So I am there often enough to take it in to account in everything.

Thoughts and opinions and suggestions for other areas to look in are appreciated. I do not want to go north of Belt Line or Arapaho, Campbell at the absolute farthest north.

Thanks so much!
Cheri, returning Native Texan
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2013, 07:21 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
Forrest Meadow is called "Forrest Ghetto" for a reason. There is a lot of spillover petty crime from the apartments just north of that area, and immediately north of LBJ off Abrams is a fairly sketchy / high crime neighborhood. There have also been several high profile overnight burglaries while the residents were home in that vicinity- very brazen!!

I wouldn't buy there.

Old 03-21-2013, 07:25 PM

Yikes, okay, that is what I needed to know. I don't get the same vibe as I do in other areas I like.

Do you have any thoughts on Brookhaven area? I'm looking at older homes from around the time I was born. I don't feel that old though lol!

Thanks for your opinion, that's exactly what I need. I appreciate the honesty. I'm single so I do what a safer area.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 PM

112 posts, read 352,080 times
My uncle lives just south of 635 off of Midway, and has for years. Nice area, although it is not Preston Hollow. I think he attends St Rita's. Their son went to Good Shepherd and then Jesuit, but the public elementary that is near there is Nathan Adams. His home is in a very good neighborhood.

We also have some friends that live in the Sparkman Estates area and love it.

Lake Highlands has mostly been a good area to live in. Forest Meadow (ghetto) - depending on where you are has some very nice homes. I have family that live near Forest Meadow, and family that live just north of Kingsley at Audelia. There are apartments behind their home, but for the most part the whole area in there holds its value very well.

Some people have the same feeling about Brookhaven area and Farmer's Branch as they do Forest Meadow.

Let us know where you choose. Everywhere has a different feel.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:42 PM

Thank you for your reply too!

I want a good school district but I do not have children. Not by choice, just never found the guy and didn't want to I it on my own.

635 and Midway is between where I'm renting and St Rita's so I know it well. I like a lot of those areas in there. Just looks like the prices will be too high but I still look in that zip code in case one comes up that is under $250 or so.

For specifics, the house I'm looking at is on one of the streets to the west of Arbor Park dr. There is like a creek and a green belt to the east of Arbor Park. On the other side are apartments. I do not want to live by apartments but with all the trees and the greenbelt, you can't even see them from the backyard. All the homes around it are very well kept up and tons of mature trees. You can't even hear the LBJ traffic but one street over where I saw another house before this one, it sounds like you are on the freeway. The house is east of Adams and west of Aurelia. It's on a bike trail.

Two houses I'm looking at in Brookhaven are from the mid 1960s and seem to be in a very safe area. There are different vibes to each area for sure!

Thank you again for your opinion, very much appreciated! I'm driving to the area late tomorrow night after work to see what it's like on a Friday night and doing the same thing with Brookhaven.

Cheri

Old 03-22-2013, 07:55 AM

212 posts, read 409,938 times
I used to live in Farmers Branch in the condos on Oakbrook between Marsh and Webb Chapel, north of Brookhaven CC. I felt safe walking around the neighborhood at night (up until a reasonable hour) as well as coming home late. But you need to keep your wits about you anywhere in DFW.

The issue with Farmers Branch is that the city government is at war with the changing of the times. A lot of wasted effort and money in my opinion. I don't have school age children, but my impression of the FB-Carrollton school district as a whole is that it is average. Obviously, individual schools are going to be better or worse.

If you are really looking to spend $200K or more, I would advise you expand at least your due diligence to include Richardson, Far North Dallas and south Plano. I think you will find houses of the same era. I now live in Richardson about the same amount east of the Tollway as I used to be west and about the same north/south. It is just as convenient to get around and the shopping and amenities are better.

And in your driving around, stop and walk in a couple of grocery stores or pharmacies which I find also helps you get a feel for the neighborhood.

Old 03-22-2013, 11:42 AM

208 posts, read 335,835 times
Glen Cove might be a good option. It's boundary is approximately Forest Ln to the south, LBJ to the north, Marsh on the west and Midway on the east. The subsidized apartments at the SW corner of Midway and LBJ are now vacant and going to be torn down along with the Walmart Neighborhood Market and be replaced with a Sam's and Walmart.

We used to live in Schreiber Manor on the east side of Midway from that neighborhood - not sure you could find anything in your price range east of Midway, but definitely could west of Midway. I have relatives in Glen Cove and they think the changes will be beneficial to the neighborhood. There is crime, but mostly car break ins at night if you leave your car on the street, theft of lawn equipment if you leave your garage door open - crimes of opportunity. Not violent crime or home invasions. We had the same problems east of Midway.

Glen Cove has a neighborhood association, park and swim club. They usually have a 4th of July parade/picnic. Lots of families in both those neighborhoods send their kids to St. Rita and St. Monica. It's zip code 75244. It's zoned for W.T. White which is one of the decent High Schools in DISD.

Best wishes on your search

Old 03-22-2013, 06:02 PM

11 posts, read 28,182 times
I grew up in LH and currently live there. My advice is not to move here. IMO the area has gone way
downhill since my younger days. My husband and I are looking to get out of this area as soon as we can.
If you've seen the news this week, LH has been all over it. There have been 3 rapes in less than a month with the 3rd being last Tuesday. Fun times over here.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:13 PM

497 posts, read 696,299 times
You mention that you are used to Preston and Forest. Would you consider a townhome? There are two townhome communities behind the NW corner of Forest and Preston (on Lindenshire). They will be in your price range, so it may or may not be something you are considering. I love this area myself and have visited the townhomes. I decided not to buy because I thought the unit I was interested in was more than I really needed to spend. Although the bank said I could spend more, I wasn't willing to do so.

I still think it's a great property - and superb location. The zip code for that area is 75230.

Best wishes!

Old 03-23-2013, 09:14 PM

Thanks to all for the replies! They have helped me make up my mind. For sure not going with Lake Highlands. Lonestar Mama I'm so sorry it has deteriorated so much . Gagirlatl thanks for the recommendation, I know right where those are, but I only want a house. I miss my yard. Tuesday2 I have been looking in Glen Cove as its right across Marsh from the apt I am in and I did find one my realtor is showing me Monday night. It's between Cox and Midway and I do like the area!

Thanks everyone, you really have helped me!

Cheri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas