Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 05:22 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Frisco has done a great job attracting employers and a broad base of commercial tax income (offices, Dr Pepper Park, Stars Center, Stonebriar, etc).

Where I find it lacking is the housing choices- most of the subdivisions are cramped and unoriginal looking. Cookie cutter at its very worst. I don't think the housing stock will age well (no different than Plano's which is not attractive and looks very of the 1980's/ early 1990's), HOWEVER, if Frisco ISD can't get it's sh$t together and start really upping its SAT scores/ % NMSF/ qualify of college matriculation, it's future is completely sunk. People put up with paying more for older/ outdated homes in Plano and Coppell because - and ONLY because - of the school's stellar reputations. Once Frisco isn't the newest game in town, the same people attracted to it now will push further north and Frisco may not have stellar schools to fall back on to maintain housing values.
Agreed. An area lives and dies by the quality of its schools. You can get a giant house pretty much anywhere in and around Dallas, what you can't get everywhere is a good school district.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:28 PM

663 posts, read 1,724,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW747 View Post
Frisco well never be Arlington or Mesquite....the zoning is different and housing prices reflect that.The new residential building in Frisco is mostly 280,000 plus. The school district is sought after at 130,000 people already.Frisco has very little in common with Arlington or Mesquite.Frisco in the height of the boom attracted a different demographic,it is not an inner ring suburbs like Arlington or Mesquite.
Frisco has very little in common with Arlington now. It has an awful lot in common with circa-1980 Arlington. Arlington was an awesome suburb back then that attracted a lot of upper middle class families.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:11 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mSooner View Post
I'd echo the thoughts above. I'd worry more about it from an investment standpoint...it doesn't seem like it will do well when the homes and retail age.
Agreed. I think Frisco has a lot going for it, but as others have said, it doesn't appeal to me. From an investment standpoint, maybe the ritzier more expensive parts could be (I don't know), but I've only had friends who lived in the "cookie-cutter" neighborhoods and they have not been good investments for them, one family actually losing money on a house, that they had kept in mint condition, when they sold. There are things I like up there, I think the ballpark is great, for example. But for me it's way too far from the things I love in Dallas. I no longer have a young child and the kid centric atmosphere of Frisco I can only handle in short spurts. Stonebriar, for example, gives me a headache after an hour.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:25 PM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
I like Frisco, it has some great golf courses and a few good restaurants options and not too far from W. Plano. Id go to Frisco over Dallas anytime. Dallas is too congested and too far for my taste. Hmmm isnt that the argument made against Frisco...by Dallas residents. Seems like the I am the center of my universe and you should agree with me syndrome is alive and well. I am not a fan of larger lots, how much yard does an older family without kids need? Mine is the size I want and prefer... but your needs and mileage my vary
Now see how differently we all view things? Frisco always feels much more congested and busy to me than my area south of LBJ. I notice it more on the weekends, particularly Sundays. I might head out to a store on a Sunday here and sit behind 2 or 3 cars at a light, when I've been to Frisco on the weekend it's just as busy as ever. We all have our comfort zones! If Frisco is perfect for someone else, who am I to judge?

Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,754 times
Why do I dislike Frisco? Too much house on too little lot, and all the "character" of any of a thousand other examples of Generica.

Granted, you get that in almost any new build area in any city in the US, which is why the fast-growing Metroplex is afflicted with this disease moreso than most other cities, but you asked the question, that's my answer.

Old 03-27-2013, 08:47 PM

297 posts, read 512,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
15 miles? I would never drive 15 miles! More like 3 to 5 miles... If it takes more than a couple songs on the radio, it's too far.

And I'm not envious at all!
I hate it when my drive is so short and all the stations were on commercial at the same time
I'd spend more time plugging in the phone for the aux and finding a song on there to play than it would take to make the drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Frisco has done a great job attracting employers and a broad base of commercial tax income (offices, Dr Pepper Park, Stars Center, Stonebriar, etc).

Where I find it lacking is the housing choices- most of the subdivisions are cramped and unoriginal looking. Cookie cutter at its very worst. I don't think the housing stock will age well (no different than Plano's which is not attractive and looks very of the 1980's/ early 1990's), HOWEVER, if Frisco ISD can't get it's sh$t together and start really upping its SAT scores/ % NMSF/ qualify of college matriculation, it's future is completely sunk. People put up with paying more for older/ outdated homes in Plano and Coppell because - and ONLY because - of the school's stellar reputations. Once Frisco isn't the newest game in town, the same people attracted to it now will push further north and Frisco may not have stellar schools to fall back on to maintain housing values.
THIS! Which is what kills me. The whole school thing. Here you have this nice suburb that "everone" likes. Using "everyone" loosely as it is deemed "superior" to many other older areas by many. Household income is pretty good. Household education level is up there. Kids doing ehh in school. There are older districts that are not mentioned on here much with schools that have higher SAT scores and higher percentage of NMSF that do not get the recognition. I have seen that in individual districts as well. The new school with the highly educated parents and kids they brag on but are only medicore at best if compared to the older schools in the older neighborhood with less educated parents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
Now see how differently we all view things? Frisco always feels much more congested and busy to me than my area south of LBJ. I notice it more on the weekends, particularly Sundays. I might head out to a store on a Sunday here and sit behind 2 or 3 cars at a light, when I've been to Frisco on the weekend it's just as busy as ever. We all have our comfort zones! If Frisco is perfect for someone else, who am I to judge?
Same here. When I've been up there it drives me crazy! Just too many people in one tight spot. Sitting at the same red light more than once as there is so much traffic. Not my cup of tea. But hey, if someone else likes that cup of tea, they are welcome to it. We are all different and that is just fine by me

Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 PM

175 posts, read 483,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I concur. When I was in high school, Plano was then what Frisco is now, demographically and reputationally-speaking. It was also "way up there". If someone went to Plano, we'd scrunch up our noses and say "Oh my god, whyyyyyyyyyyyyy?" Not because we thought it sucked, but because it was so far away. And goyish.

(It just occurred to me that is probably one of the main reasons I don't care for Frisco...it is very goyish!)

I find your comment offensive. What if the roles were reversed? What if the comment was something along the lines of too many Hebs live there? You think you would like that? Oh and yes the term for you may seem innocuous. For me as a gentile it is offensive.

Old 03-27-2013, 11:27 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
That may be true north of say 635. Almost everything inside the loop is a custom build home on hillcrest/preton, vs. developments.
Oh, the current trend inside 635 is true of custom homes... knock down a post war cookie cutter house and put up a custom McMansion. But my point was in the developmental cycle... very car centric neighborhoods of single family homes, a fairly uniform grid pattern of major multi laned connector streets with shopping centers at the intersections of such. This is the developmental style from North Dallas until you see rural areas in northern Collin County. Yes, the $$$ of said homes will vary here and there, but it is the same basic pattern.

There are the million $$$ areas like Preston Hollow that are nothing but custom build mansions, but go east and west of Preston and you are in basic subdivision land. 40s, 50s and 60s subdivision land mind you, but it was the style of the time.

An interesting drive to see the wealth patterns in Dallas.... take a drive from west to east on Park Lane at its origin over close to Harry Hines... almost ghetto. Then watch the neighborhoods rise in value as you cross each major north/south street until you reach the apex between Inwood and Preston. Then watch it start going back down the further east you go. So Preston might not be the best example to drive the full length as the wealth has followed up the Preston Corridor. The richest neighborhoods in Plano and Frisco are not far off of Preston, but it is the only one that continues uninterrupted until you reach the boonies so that is why I mentioned that.

Last edited by Saintmarks; 03-27-2013 at 11:43 PM..

Old 03-27-2013, 11:33 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yeah...I'm the one in Richardson "looking down HER nose" at Frisco.

I think I was pretty clear and concise about why I don't care for Frisco, and I think those reasons are legitimate. It is far away. The houses are close together. There is a lot of HOA control. These are things that cannot be changed about it even if it had an atmosphere that I liked.

Sure, there are people who look down their noses at Richardson. Some of them post here on a regular basis. They're entitled to their opinions.

However, for my needs and budget, Richardson is a much better fit than Frisco is. Plain and simple. Is it right for everyone? No, but neither is Frisco. Also, my reasons for not liking Frisco have nothing to do with ego or envy and everything to do with what Frisco actually is.
I am sorry that I was unable to ascertain your gender from your screen name or your posts. My apologies.

Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion. This thread was posed by the OP to ask why people hold such derogatory opinions. It is one thing to say an area is not for you personally, it is another to denigrate an area that is not for you personally by using woefully inaccurate stereotypes. Douchebags? Goyish? Really?

Old 03-28-2013, 05:03 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katefrisco View Post
[/b]

I find your comment offensive. What if the roles were reversed? What if the comment was something along the lines of too many Hebs live there? You think you would like that? Oh and yes the term for you may seem innocuous. For me as a gentile it is offensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
I am sorry that I was unable to ascertain your gender from your screen name or your posts. My apologies.

Yes, everyone is entitled to an opinion. This thread was posed by the OP to ask why people hold such derogatory opinions. It is one thing to say an area is not for you personally, it is another to denigrate an area that is not for you personally by using woefully inaccurate stereotypes. Douchebags? Goyish? Really?
He asked, I answered. Nobody's asking you to agree with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas