Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2007, 11:04 PM

19 posts, read 79,900 times

Advertisements

Just wondering if anyone had any suggestions for thanksgiving, christmas, or new years events in the Dallas/Plano area? Such as maybe parades, any areas with the best holiday lights, decorated/costumed events, festivals, etc anything.

Only requirement is that the Christmas event has to be after December 11, and some that I saw were before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2007, 11:36 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Default Dallas CVB

This is the link to the Dallas Convention & Visitors Bureau. I hope this helps.

Event Calendar (http://www.dallascvb.com/visitors/events.php - broken link)

Old 10-27-2007, 07:42 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,456,658 times
Here's a link to the New Years Parade downtown on Dec. 31.
AT&T New Year’s Parade - A Holiday Tradition Returns to Downtown Dallas! (http://www.attparade.com/main/index.php - broken link)

The trains at Northpark are cool. Galleria Mall does something, too, during the holiday season, but I am drawing a blank.

You can take a carriage ride in Highland Park
Holiday Carriage rides in Highland Park at Belle Starre Carriages (Saturday, November 24, 2007) - Upcoming

Richardson does Santa's Village outside city hall and the library.
Santa's Village in Richardson, Texas (broken link)

Old 10-27-2007, 01:07 PM

133 posts, read 534,338 times
Highland Park does horse-drawn carriage rides around the neighborhood, and I've always thought that was really fun. They have blankets to wrap up in and hot chocolate on hand so you don't get too chilly.

Old 10-27-2007, 05:54 PM

1,533 posts, read 7,237,694 times
The Adolphus parade in downtown.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:24 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,268,294 times
Highland Park for Christmas lights. Especially Beverly Drive. Hunters Glen is good in University Park. Then the Adolphus Christmas parade in downtown Dallas.

Plano is the best place in the area to view cheap tract homes. Try counting the number of houses that look exactly alike, but with a different shade of red brick. It's super! Lot's going for it.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:51 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
I have to give a shameless plug for The Night Before Christmas ballet program put on by the Dallas Metropolitan Ballet, December 15 & 16 at the McFarlin Theater on the SMU campus. This is put on by talented young ballet dancers from the community as well as guest artists. Tickets can be found at the Etgen-Atkinson ballet studio on Hillcrest in Snider Plaza, kitty-corner from SMU or through ticketmaster.

>>The Directors of the Dallas Metropolitan Ballet, Ann Etgen and Bill Atkinson, would like to share with you and your children the magical production of "The Night Before Christmas". This is a full length story of Clement E. Moore's "A Visit to St. Nicholas". This Christmas Extravaganza will have a cast of over 40 Dallas Metropolitan Ballet dancers with sets and props by Peter Wolf.

You will see: Santa Claus, The Christmas Fairy, Frosty the Snowman, Clowns, Jack-in-the Box, Raggedy Ann and Andy, Dancing Peppermint Sticks, Gingerbread Men and the very popular Mischief Dance and many, many more Christmas characters to delight everyone. Check out our Christmas Boutique.

Guest artist will be Julie Diana and Zachary Hench, Principals of Pennsylvania Ballet.<<

Old 10-27-2007, 06:55 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
Also, the Trans-Siberian Orchestra will be at the AA Center, I believe the week after Christmas.

Old 10-29-2007, 03:50 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
I think the Turtle Creek Chorale has a Christmas Show each year at the Meyerson.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:19 AM

436 posts, read 1,347,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryS80 View Post
The Adolphus parade in downtown.
I agree...I've volunteered for the parade for a number of years and it's great! I think it's on December 1. It's from 10-11 and is televised on Channel 8. The bleacher seats may be sold out (contact Children's Medical Center for details) but there are plenty of places to sit. The parade starts west of the Adolphus on Commerce, turns right after 6 blocks or so and ends at City Hall. The closer to City Hall you sit, the later your view of the parade will begin and end.

They estimate 6 figures worth of people each year and that's probably accurate. Get there early for a curb seat! Or, as some people do, tailgate in one of the lots on the route streets and have breakfast, hot cocoa, etc.

It is a pretty good parade. There are lots of floats, dance teams and bands. Of course, Santa and Mrs. Claus make their debut at the end of the parade. I don't have kids so this is where I learned about Angelina Ballerina and Bob the Builder. My favorite groups are the Hardin-Simmons band and the Tap Dazzlers (women of a certain age who tap dance their way down the street).

The parade benefits Children's Medical Center and many of the kids on the floats and in the cars on the route are current or former patients at Children's.

Also, I love the carriage rides through Highland Park. Actually, for exercise, I walk the route through HP several times during the holidays. Armstrong and some other roads get pretty crowded so I often pass cars as I walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas