Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 07:02 PM

24 posts, read 59,914 times

Advertisements

Ok..would you mind clarifying a couple of points for me please?

I'm looking at a property to rent, (whilst I'm dipping my toe in the Park Cities water..) which according to the HPISD Boundary map falls under the Bradfield Elementary School area. Does anyone know the school? I'd welcome your opinions if you do...I'm debating about whether to plunge into the HP public schools to try to establish some friendships all round..I had some detailed and very very informative and helpful feedback on the strength of the High School and others in the area in a different thread but I don't recall hearing any specifics on the elementary.
Also, forgive my ignorance, but it seems there is just one middle school..does everyone pitch up at the middle school when they've finished elementary? How big are these schools? Class sizes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2013, 07:05 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
HPISD > Home

I doubt you could go wrong with any of the elementaries, though I'm sure some are more desirable than others.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:33 PM

89 posts, read 137,078 times
Bradfield is a good school, cousin's kid is going there and both parents are happy and so is the nephew. Homes range from 200k condos to 20 million estates. Their's is on lower end at 600k but looks cute. You'll do fine. I hope someone from that school will post soon with insiders scoop.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:44 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedolala View Post
Ok..would you mind clarifying a couple of points for me please?

I'm looking at a property to rent, (whilst I'm dipping my toe in the Park Cities water..) which according to the HPISD Boundary map falls under the Bradfield Elementary School area. Does anyone know the school? I'd welcome your opinions if you do...I'm debating about whether to plunge into the HP public schools to try to establish some friendships all round..I had some detailed and very very informative and helpful feedback on the strength of the High School and others in the area in a different thread but I don't recall hearing any specifics on the elementary.
Also, forgive my ignorance, but it seems there is just one middle school..does everyone pitch up at the middle school when they've finished elementary? How big are these schools? Class sizes?
All the elementary schools are excellent. There is no daylight between any of them.

Even if there was- everyone winds up at the same Middle and Intermediate school (grades 5-6 then 7-8) and all kids go to the same highschool.

In terms of decreasing avg house price Armstrong>Bradfield>Hyer>UP elementary.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:05 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,310 times
All four elementary schools are comparable. There is always constant talk and friendly competition about which one ranks #1. I remember at last year's middle school 8th grade awards listening to parents around me talk about where the winners went to elementary. From what I heard you can't go wrong with any of them...all have excellent parent involvement.

All four feed into McCullough Intermediate, known as MIS (grades 5 & 6) and later HP Middle, known as HPMS (grades 7 & 8). These four grade levels are all housed at the same location. Everyone starts anew in 5th grade. The school does a really good job of mixing all the kids from the four elementary schools so they are exposed to new faces. Grade 5 offers TAG Math and also TAG exploration classes. Grade 6 offers TAG classes in science, math, language arts and social studies. In the spring of 6th grade they get tested for acceleration in math...that is where you start to see some of the 7th graders taking algebra 1 or more basic 7/8 math (we even know of kids in 7th grade taking math classes at the high school!)

The weak link in HPISD is definitely grades 5-7. Everyone I talk to raves about the elementary schools and the high school. We were not here for the elementary age group so I can't provide more specific information.

I would visit all 4 schools to get a feel for the culture in each. I am fairly certain I have heard that you can go to any of the 4 elementary schools if there is space. Not sure exactly how it works, but I know of people that fall under one school and end up going to a different one.

Texas-size class sizes. HPISD has around 500 students per grade level in high school...and rising.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:56 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,292,163 times
All 4 elementaries are equally excellent- great principals, strong teachers, similar curriculums, super involved patterns both at home and via volunteering at school.

I have two friends with kindergarteners at Bradfield and two friends who teach there. All are happy from all sides- as parents and as employees. I actually have friends with kids at all four elementaries and all are pretty thrilled- every once in a while you end up with a kid and teacher who just don't connect but the schools seem to be fairly proactive.

As far as school cultures, there are subtle differences. Hyer has the most consistent real estate values (no apartments or condos) and more new homes due to do many 70' lots in the fairway....hence, a more "new money" reputation and more younger SAHM's. UP is probably the most diverse, with more apartments and condos zoned there than any other school. Bradfield's housing is more expensive and parents seem to be a bit older than Hyer's and more working moms. Armstrong is probably the most economically divided school - (relatively) cheap housing over by SMU and the middle school mixing with a housing stock that averages over $2M closer to the school. Despite these subtle differences, it bears no effect on academics at any school. They're all great!

Kids don't really notice the economic differences until 6-7th grade and then it is PAINFULLY obvious who the wealthy kids are and who isn't.....as it's the middle of middle school, everyone is also painfully aware of who had developed and who hasn't, how is popular and who isn't, who is athletic or not, etc. Not having Tory Burch flip flops is just another sucker punch to a girl whose elementary school best friend has ditched her for more popular friends The good news is that by 8th grade and definitely high school, this all subsides as kids grow more confided in their abilities and interests and friend groups settle down.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:30 PM

24 posts, read 59,914 times
..thank you all..times a million.

"...I have two friends with kindergarteners at Bradfield and two friends who teach there. All are happy from all sides- as parents and as employees. I actually have friends with kids at all four elementaries and all are pretty thrilled- every once in a while you end up with a kid and teacher who just don't connect but the schools seem to be fairly proactive."

Fantastic..

"..As far as school cultures, there are subtle differences. Hyer has the most consistent real estate values (no apartments or condos) and more new homes due to do many 70' lots in the fairway....hence, a more "new money" reputation and more younger SAHM's. UP is probably the most diverse, with more apartments and condos zoned there than any other school. Bradfield's housing is more expensive and parents seem to be a bit older than Hyer's and more working moms. Armstrong is probably the most economically divided school - (relatively) cheap housing over by SMU and the middle school mixing with a housing stock that averages over $2M closer to the school. Despite these subtle differences, it bears no effect on academics at any school. They're all great! "

That is soooo helpful to know about, those subtle differences can make a big difference. And, having done a cursory reccy last week when I was cruising the neighbourhood doing my 007 impression, it fits with what I sensed, at least about the demographic.

"..Kids don't really notice the economic differences until 6-7th grade and then it is PAINFULLY obvious who the wealthy kids are and who isn't.....as it's the middle of middle school, everyone is also painfully aware of who had developed and who hasn't, how is popular and who isn't, who is athletic or not, etc. Not having Tory Burch flip flops is just another sucker punch to a girl whose elementary school best friend has ditched her for more popular friends "

AGONY. Sounds like every other school across the country. By the way...who's Tory Burch? HAHAHA!! On second thoughts, no don't tell me..i want to preserve my innocence just a little while longer Do you think I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb? I think there's going to be quite a bit of comedy mileage in this adventure...

Turtle Creek, you are officially my new BFF ( is that right? that's American for my brand new chum see how quickly I catch on..eh? eh?)

"All four feed into McCullough Intermediate, known as MIS (grades 5 & 6) and later HP Middle, known as HPMS (grades 7 & 8). These four grade levels are all housed at the same location. Everyone starts anew in 5th grade. The school does a really good job of mixing all the kids from the four elementary schools so they are exposed to new faces. Grade 5 offers TAG Math and also TAG exploration classes. Grade 6 offers TAG classes in science, math, language arts and social studies. In the spring of 6th grade they get tested for acceleration in math...that is where you start to see some of the 7th graders taking algebra 1 or more basic 7/8 math (we even know of kids in 7th grade taking math classes at the high school!)"

This is a very welcome surprise mami2emily, that's great. I wonder, are the kids allowed to accelerate as quickly as they want? My current 7th grader is already doing High School Math, and my 5th grader is out the kazoo with all his subjects, i had banked on them having to just dig in and go with the flow, but would it be possible for them to go at their own pace? I'm sure this has come up before..that would be amazing if it were the case, even with the TAG program at their current school they are not 'allowed' to move through the grades as quickly as they could.

Thanks again chaps

Old 03-28-2013, 09:34 PM

256 posts, read 448,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
Not having Tory Burch flip flops is just another sucker punch to a girl whose elementary school best friend has ditched her for more popular friends
Are there any wealthy parents there who just on principle think spending $60 on a pair of plastic flip-flops for a 6th grader is ridiculous?

Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 PM

2,674 posts, read 4,392,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona72 View Post
Are there any wealthy parents there who just on principle think spending $60 on a pair of plastic flip-flops for a 6th grader is ridiculous?
You think you get a choice with a willful daughter? Even if you resist, it's a war of attrition.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:43 PM

256 posts, read 448,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
You think you get a choice with a willful daughter? Even if you resist, it's a war of attrition.
Of course you do. You say, "You want $60 plastic shoes? Start saving up your babysitting money." Back in my day, that kind of conspicuous consumption was relatively rare, at least rarer than I suspect it is now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas