Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 AM

31 posts, read 130,065 times

Advertisements

We are looking in the Mckinney, Little Elm area... do the children wear uniforms to school there? Where I live in FL they are strictly uniforms.
Also, is there Voluntary Pre-K there? And by that I mean is there free pre-k to children who are 4? We voted for it here and my daughter goes 5 days a week for 3 hours a day! It's great! If there isn't VPK, what are the preschool charging there for 1/2 day programs.
Thank you in advance for any info you can give me
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2007, 08:48 AM

709 posts, read 3,473,816 times
I don't know if those school districts use uniforms or not. Most of Carrollton-Farmers Branch ISD is uniform based. Only about 4 schools don't wear uniforms. Even most if not all of our Middle schools use uniforms. Uniforms make a huge difference we have found. Difference for the good.

I can tell you that public school PK in Texas is based off income or limited English Speaking criteria. This is the only way you can have a child in the program. The children are not mandated by the state of Texas to attend school.

(In case this applies to you... your child must of been 4 by Sept. 1st in the state of Texas in order to attend PK. The same applies for Kinder. The child must be 5 by Sept. 1st in the state of Texas.)

In Carrollton we have gone to full day PK and I think I've heard that some other districts have done the same. As for the area you mentioned you could call the student service department for that district and they should be able to give you the information you need first hand. The area you mention is also kind of tricky in that there are several school districts in that area. Little Elm ISD, Frisco ISD, and McKinney ISD. I have a friend that lives in Little Elm but her child attends Frisco ISD. You'll want to check out which district your child would be in. Your address will of course be the determining factor. The school lines don't always make sense. I work for CFBISD, yet I am based in Irving/Coppell area of our district. Hope this all makes sense.

As for the cost of PK in the area in the event your child doesn't qualify for the public school program... I paid about $169 with family discount at the pre-school program my child was in. I think the rate without discount was $183 a week. I had my child in an accredited PK and private Kinder program at the same daycare. My child is a Christmas baby so he missed the age cut off for Texas.

Last edited by sonshinelife; 10-27-2007 at 09:02 AM..

Old 10-27-2007, 11:08 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,465,801 times
Frisco ISD is not in uniforms. There is no free universal preschool. You have to qualify based on low income, limited English or because you are special ed.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:24 PM

31 posts, read 130,065 times
Man, that stinks. We are lucky here in FL that VPK is offered to EVERYONE! You pick the school, sign your child up and they go! It went to an actual vote and we put it through - tax dollars actually at work!
There is no way that we would get in pre-k money wise, and my daughter is right on target congnitively speaking, so that's a no go. Bummer, I love the free pre-k. I also hope that all the good schools aren't 180+ a week! Mercy! That's EXPENSIVE!!!!!
We are uniforms here to. I was just curious to know if I was going to have to buy all new clothes when we move for my 8 year old!
Thank you both so much for the information

Old 10-27-2007, 10:17 PM

709 posts, read 3,473,816 times
As for the $ for most of the pre-school programs ...it is high, but usually very worth it. Wherever you end up taking your child ask if they have multiple family discounts. By this I mean if there are 5 families who all have one member that works for a particular company then you get a discount off the cost of tuition. I'm an educator in the Irving/Coppell area and several of my co-hearts also sent their children to the daycare/preschool I used. That is how I got a discount on the tuition.

as for those schools that have uniforms that I have experience with... most are simple uniforms such as khaki pants or navy , shorts, skirts or jumpers also for girls, basic polo's usually red, white, or navy blue. A few might have dark green shirts but most in our district try to stick to things that can easily be found at stores such as Kohls, Sears, Target, Walmart, etc. As for shoes generally close toe are the norm. Gym shoes for the most part.

as for the PK in public school...Texas is generally very slow in getting to the same place other states are in establishing programs. I think in a few years we will see a transition into all PK students being allowed a public education... for now it is the lack of space and availablity of qualified PK teachers keeping the program to low income/limited language children only.

Last edited by sonshinelife; 10-27-2007 at 10:27 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas