Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:32 AM

937 posts, read 2,906,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kallie26 View Post
This thread is REALLY helpful. Can I add a few more specific questions? I had already gotten the impression that the tollroad and 75 were terrible to commute in on from anywhere north, but I had then started looking more at the Lower Greenville or Las Colinas areas. Lower Greenville is closer to downtown, but is it still really bad because it's off 75? OTOH, Las Colinas is a bit farther distance-wise, but is the commute to downtown more predictable/manageable than being off the Tollroad? It seems from the map like you could jump off 35E if needed and come towards downtown on Harry Hines, but maybe that's not at all feasible in reality.

Thanks.
I live on lower greenville and it takes me about 10 mins to get to work downtown. I take Ross Ave to get there. There is no need to get on 75.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 02:58 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
I took my mother to an appointment at Baylor Hospital today and it took us 9 minutes from leaving house (Lakewood) until we were parked in the Baylor garage. We had enough time to drive around the lake and have lunch at Matt's afterwards - before I went to work.

BTW, Oil hit $93 bbl today.

And Marsh and Arapaho is still distant from downtown. I think it would take 45 minutes for me to get that far north (I would probably go up Hillcrest and take Forest across to Marsh).

Old 10-30-2007, 12:04 AM

625 posts, read 1,956,511 times
Okay, I'll go from a different barometer point. I set my record from Downtown (75 and Lemmon) back to Plano (Tollway and Spring Creek) this weekend. I was able to do it in 19 minutes.

This was at 4 am, and I was flying (averaging 85-95). On a normal night, when I'm in less of a rush, it can take about 25 minutes. I don't think it can be done any faster than that.

For a more congested time period, I can go to 75 and Monticello from the opposite direction (so against the grain) in about 30-35 minutes if I leave at 6:20 pm. When I did this last week, the traffic going the other direction looked awful.

Since you're coming from Allen, the only data point I can give you is this: 2 in the morning, 75 and park to 75 and Northpark - that took 16 minutes.

Sorry, I don't do the commute you're looking for on a daily basis, but hopefully this helps with "absolute best case" scenario. If you get times lower than these, they're crazy, mainly because I think these are crazy.

As for my driving style, I'm pretty fast. Surprisingly, I've only gotten 1 speeding ticket (for going down spring creek, ugh.)

Old 10-30-2007, 06:33 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,595,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unexpected View Post
Surprisingly, I've only gotten 1 speeding ticket (for going down spring creek, ugh.)
You know that's the kiss of death, right? You're going to get a ticket this week for saying that.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:51 AM

625 posts, read 1,956,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lh_newbie View Post
You know that's the kiss of death, right? You're going to get a ticket this week for saying that.
I know. I was thinking about that as soon as I wrote it. To make myself feel better, I ordered my first radar detector momentarily thereafter.

Old 10-30-2007, 08:35 AM

164 posts, read 792,433 times
Last night I drove from Forest and Marsh to Allen at 5pm. I took I-635 to 75 then 75 to Stacy road. From the parking lot to the driveway of one of the houses we are looking at off Stacy road it took 54 minutes.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:37 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,159,147 times
unexpected you should have been here in the early 1980s when the Dallas North Tollway was the Dallas Autobahn. During the boom everyone had all these BMWs, Porsches and Mercedes and it was kind of open at night - I had a BMW and got passed several times going 100 mph. Of course drinking and driving was tacitly accepted back then and you could even drink in your car.

It was pretty much known you weren't going to get a ticket on the tollway.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:26 PM

18 posts, read 95,396 times
Bumping this thread to give some more information now that I have moved here...

We are in Dallas/Richardson near Coit and Spring Valley and commute downtown every day. I have found that 75 moves surprisingly well for having high volume. Unless there's an accident, getting on 75 south of the High Five, it takes no more than 20-30 minutes to get downtown (I've tried this leaving at any time between 7:30 and 9), and in the evenings even though the traffic moves a bit slower, I still haven't found it more than about 30 minutes. With an accident (which I try to keep abreast of by listening to AM1080, which is like WTOP in DC with the "Traffic on the 8s"), more like 40-45. With no traffic (after 9 a.m. or after 7 p.m. I would say), it's only about 15 minutes tops. In sum, I would say this commute has been completely reasonable - I have heard Central used to be much, much worse, but it seems much better than I expected here so far.

Seems like it's a bit different if you get on 75 north of the High Five (from Allen, Plano, etc.) Also, most of the accidents/backups I hear on the radio in the morning seem to be around the 35E/DNT/635 area. Every morning it seems like it's a half-hour from Frisco just to Addison, and a full hour from Mesquite around to Farmers Branch. Now that I've found a good spot traffic-wise, I'm reluctant to move to a different area of the Metroplex - but will have to as I definitely wouldn't buy where I'm at right now!

Anyway, thanks to others for the traffic reports here - just wanted to contribute my experience now.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:49 PM

6,820 posts, read 14,032,189 times
The one disadvantage of living in Plano/McKinney/Frisco is the commute. There are only to main roads that will bring you to downtown and both of them are packed. In fact just about any burb you live in is going to require a long commute. Unless you are willing to move in closer or have odd work hours there is no way to avoid it.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:06 PM

35 posts, read 106,696 times
How long does it take, on average, from Valley Ranch into downtown in the morning, and then return in the evening? Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas