Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2013, 11:55 AM

4 posts, read 7,725 times

Advertisements

Hello to you Texans

My son his wife and 3 lovely little munecas live in North Lake Texas. My wife and I plus my other son and his 3 lovely little daughters are going to visit my Dallas son for two weeks in June.

Usually we all get together on Hatteras Island, NC for two or three weeks (though my preference is Adirondacks in NYS).

We will be doing a lot of day activities with maybe aa 4 day trip to ocean.

What is there to do in Dallas area? ...like museums, Six Flags, parks, lakes, etc? While I would like to go to Dealey Plaza and see where Bonnie and Clyde came from I doubt a group of little girls ages 7,6, 5 two 4 year old twins and a 3 year old would like to go to those places.

If someone were coming to DC area I could give them a complete two-week itinerary without ever going to one of the Memorials or Monuments. Places like Antietam, Gettysburs, Cunningham Falls, Whites Ferry, C and O Trail,Fort McHenry, Baltimore Harbor, Patuxent Naval Air Station and Point Lookout and on and on. If the Smithsonian and other typical tourist places were included it would be another month.

I am hoping someone will read this who has that kind of intimate knowledge of attractions within a 3 hour radius of Dallas. I have heard about the great trail that Dalls has but other than that, Six Flags and the two prior-mentioned locations we are ignorant. So any ideas woulld be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for listening

Brian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2013, 01:10 PM

297 posts, read 509,954 times
The new Perot Museum in Dallas is a must!
All ages will enjoy this. This is downtown and very close to Dealey Plaza and the Sixith Floor Museum.
Six Flags is good.

By 4 day visit to the ocean I am assuming you will head down to say Galveston on the Gulf. Schlitterbahn is a good waterpark on the island. The Moody Gardens are good and there are several historic houses on Galveston that my girls at a very young age enjoyed. The Moody Mansion and Bishops Palace are the 2 best.

Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,837,895 times
Dallas Heritage Village is a hands-on museum just south of downtown, that is very family friendly.
Welcome to Dallas Heritage Village - "Living Breathing Texas History"

The Nasher Sculpture Center is in the Dallas Arts District and is fun for the kids as well as enlightening for the adults.
Nasher Sculpture Center - Home

There is the new Perot Museum of Nature and Science, just north of downtown.
Perot Museum of Nature and Science

The Dallas Arboretum is always a nice place.
Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden | Yearly Festivals

If you could bring yourself to take a tour of the Cowboy Stadium, it is an indoor activity.
Tours

Spend a day in Fort Worth; there are good things there as well:
Fort Worth Stockyards
Fort Worth Zoo
Fort Worth Water Gardens - Fort Worth Attraction
National Cowgirl Museum
Fort Worth Museum of Science and History |

Old 04-04-2013, 01:58 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,612,152 times
The Perot frequently sells out so buy tickets ahead of time.

The Klyde Warren Deck Park downtown near all the museums has a playground area, room to run, and food trucks for lunch.

The Dallas Museum of Art is free and has a hands-on children's section that my 5, 7, and 8 y/o grandkids loved.

They liked the Nasher b/c they could walk up to and in one case through the sculpture.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:12 PM

168 posts, read 298,314 times
Check out the Fossil Rim Wildlife Center in Glen Rose, Texas. Glen Rose also has dinosaur tracks.

I have also heard good things about the Aquarium in Dallas. Plan on taking my boys when I go home to visit next week.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:42 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,612,152 times
Oh yes, the aquarium. My grandkids loved it when they were 6,4 and 2 ands they still love it! There is a giant, 3-story green house where you walk on winding ramps among trees, birds, monkeys, alligators, and other animals I can't remember. Plus the regular aquarium is amazing.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:58 PM

11,819 posts, read 26,685,219 times
A suggestion: since you're used to the beach at the OBX, you are going to be REALLY disappointed with Galveston. The water is green, not blue, and the sand is brown, not white. There is also some tar in the water. The beach at Padre Island is better, but it still doesn't even come close to the OBX. Honestly, I would skip the beach part and do other things instead.

If you feel that you need to get out of DFW for a few days, go south to San Antonio. There are lots of family-friendly things to do down there, such as Sea World, Fiesta Texas, the Riverwalk, etc.

But honestly, there are plenty of activities in both Dallas and Fort Worth to keep everyone busy for a week.

The better aquarium is the Dallas World Aquarium, although the Aquarium in Fair Park has recently been redone and is nice, too.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:59 PM

257 posts, read 547,840 times
I have two girls, ages 9 and 6, who have lived in Dallas their whole lives. Their favorite places for fun are:

Perot Science Museum -- very much worth the hype, but do get tickets in advance and don't go on a weekend.

Texas Discovery Gardens Butterfly House -- be there for the butterfly release at noon. It's an unforgettable experience.

Sandy Lake Amusement Park -- a very old-school amusement park with pony rides, state-fair like rides, a swimming pool (less expensive and less crowded than Six Flags, but appreciated just as much by kids under 10).

Ride the Trolley up and down McKinney Avenue, stopping for cupcakes or ice cream along the way

Biking around White Rock Lake (you can rent bikes at Richardson Bike Mart)

Fall Creek Farms -- a fruit farm/orchard about 1.5 hours out of Dallas where you can pick your own fruit. Depending on when you come in June, the picking season for berries may be over, but if it's in late June, they may have early peaches.

Dallas Museum of Art -- has a great kids area that has hands-on art projects, plus my girls enjoy walking through different parts of the museum (mostly the modern art area).

Grapevine Vintage Railroad -- might be a bit boring for the really young ones, but you can take the train from Grapevine to the Fort Worth Stockyards and back. Grapevine itself is a cute little town full of shops, restaurants and tasting rooms.

Have you considered staying a night or two at the Gaylord Texan? It has a waterpark and lots of family-friendly pools for the kids to enjoy.

I'd echo the other posters who said you'd be disappointed in the beaches in Texas. Instead, you might consider some of the lakes, such as Lake Travis (outside of Austin) or Possum Kingdom (an hour west of Dallas). Or visit the country's largest water park, Schlitterbahn, in New Braunfels.

Last edited by robmab; 04-04-2013 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: added one more favorite

Old 04-04-2013, 04:14 PM

1,591 posts, read 2,391,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If you feel that you need to get out of DFW for a few days, go south to San Antonio. There are lots of family-friendly things to do down there, such as Sea World, Fiesta Texas, the Riverwalk, etc.
If you go that way, I'd suggest Schlitterbahn in New Braunfels about 30-45 minutes north of San Antonio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas