U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 05:38 PM

9 posts, read 83,185 times

Advertisements

I'm old enough to recognize certain "catch phrases" that people tend to use either consciously or unconsciously to be disparaging.

I would never imply that someone is a racist based upon a posting on a blog site. Seems my post touched a nerve. Has someone else implied that about you? If so i'm sorry.

I guess what I really want to know is what are the black middle to upper-middle class communites in the Metroplex? If there are such things
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 06:22 PM

1,067 posts, read 5,386,156 times
Quote:
I'm old enough to recognize certain "catch phrases" that people tend to use either consciously or unconsciously to be disparaging.
I was not raised to know catch phrases, nor was I aware that there are catch phrases. No I have never been accused of being a racist and often have felt the tinge when people who not knowing my sister who is hispanic have said ugly things when growing up. I have broken friendships up over ugly talk because I have heard what people think first hand on issues. When I moved to DFW in 90, I was so happy to find it more diverse and found very little racism. The only time I ever saw racist people here in DFW were in college when the Clan would set up booths asking people to take surveys, all in a guise as a KNIGHT club.... I had to be even told they were the clan because I was not raised with that knowledge of who they were... I often wondered when I saw them, where they lived because they were people I did not know or heard of.
You are also writing and conversing with a middle aged woman too who fears God wholeheartedly and would never ever do anything that would displease him... I know that there are some here who don't agree with religion but for me it is a vital part of my life and could not hold a heart that has malice towards others.

I still don't get living down there still is viewed as negative. It seems to me that it hit a nerve with you and I am sorry if it did. I use to live down in Florida. Would you say that is negative? My niece and her family live in San Deigo. I have been talking about going ACROSS country to see them. My language is purely directional. Please don't read into things so much....
I want to extend an olive branch to you and hope that we can be friends... I only want to help you in figuring some things out. That's all.

Last edited by stargazer; 10-29-2007 at 06:30 PM..

Old 10-29-2007, 07:43 PM

9 posts, read 83,185 times
Stargazer

I can appreciate and accept that you meant "down there" in purely geographical terms. But as someone who as read a number of post that mean it otherwise, and having had people from "down there" concur with my observations about a percieved bias, surely you can appreciate why I may be a little sensitive in this regard.

As Acntx so succinctly pointed out, "it seems that there are fewer posters on city-data from these communities in comparison with Dallas and the northern suburbs, so blanket statements and generalizations made about this area go unchallenged."

No olive branch is necessary as I have no hostility or issues with you. I too am a Christian who believes in showing everyone AGAPE love, so I wish you nothing but peace and blessings.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:21 PM

6,578 posts, read 24,051,376 times
I work downtown and probably half of my co-workers live some other direction than north. The south area is not that bad. Those people are living lives and raising kids and are perfectly happy.

Another school option is First Baptist Academy downtown. It's an urban school through 12th grade. Very cool environment. The high school kids eat lunch in the cafeteria in our highrise. You see the kids coming in on the train or with their parents working downtown and eating lunch with them in our building.

First Baptist Academy of Dallas

Old 06-27-2008, 10:12 PM

7 posts, read 18,006 times
wondering what area you settled on, my family is relocating to dallas and I am going crazy looking for the right area and school

Old 06-28-2008, 12:16 PM

434 posts, read 1,391,286 times
If you want to go where the momentum "will" be turning its a good idea to watch what happens over the next few years in southern Dallas. The southern suburbs of Dallas are beautiful if you go see it but there is a gap of poorer areas between the southern suburbs and downtown. The north doesn't have the exact same issue. This will change over time for south Dallas. I would bet the wide spread developement that has taken place north of Dallas will stop at Prosper. The new developments will start to take place closer to downtown and move south.
As companies continue to move to dallas they bring people. As mounting pressure continues for Dallas to develop in areas closer to downtown the "new" people moving in will take residence.
The old saying "If you build it, they will come" will hold true once again.

If you are planning a move in the southern parts of Dallas don't let anyone discourage you. I see it as a great opportunity. Frisco was once not such a desirable part of town but with development and great planning to attract business and people it has become a pretty nice town.

Read this article about Dallas' opportunity to improve.
Our city's best hope

Our city's best hope | Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | Opinion: Points (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/points/stories/DN-dayonegap_22edi.ART.State.Edition1.4d6aab8.html - broken link)

Old 06-28-2008, 08:18 PM

216 posts, read 675,356 times
Default cedar hill/duncanville/desoto

I dont know if race plays any role in it, but there is a definate negative attitude towards the above cities. The cities are also experiencing "white flight" towards cities such as midlothian and mansfield.

Cedar hill is located in one of the prettiest parts of north texas. despite what you may have read here, there are other desirable subdivisions other than lake ridge. As for the comment somebody made on foreclosures... is there a city in the u.s not experiencing this problem?

Cedar hill/desoto/duncunville are great cities to raise a family. there is low crime and cedar hill is now the place to go for all shopping in south-west dallas county. Cedar hill has plenty of exemplary and recognized schools. As with any school district, a minority of schools could improve. Dallas isd is certainly no better than cedar hill isd. Homes in these areas range from > 50,000 to over 1 000 000. You can find the black middle class anywhere in the dfw metroplex but i believe that it is certainly concentrated in south-west dallas county

I encourage anyone thinking of moving to the dallas metro area to visit these areas personaly and not rely on some of the erronous info about these cities posted here

Old 06-28-2008, 08:40 PM

216 posts, read 675,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2dfw View Post
Here is a link from the Dallas Morning News on the story about the fence put up around Duncanville. My mistake it was because of crimes and fights (still probably involved drugs on some caswes).

Dallas Morning News | News for Dallas, Texas | News: Local News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/DN-duncfence_23met.ART.North.Edition2.90f2261.html - broken link)
momof2dfw, are you suggesting that duncanville has more crime than Dallas? If you look up crime stats, you will find that dallas crime statistics are WAY higher than duncanvilles. It is unfortunate for duncanville residents that some of their neighborhoods border dallas.

duncanville, desoto, and cedar-hill also offer better and more reliable city services than dallas

Old 06-29-2008, 10:37 AM

1,620 posts, read 3,728,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southern living View Post
I dont know if race plays any role in it, but there is a definate negative attitude towards the above cities. The cities are also experiencing "white flight" towards cities such as midlothian and mansfield.

Cedar hill is located in one of the prettiest parts of north texas. despite what you may have read here, there are other desirable subdivisions other than lake ridge. As for the comment somebody made on foreclosures... is there a city in the u.s not experiencing this problem?

Cedar hill/desoto/duncunville are great cities to raise a family. there is low crime and cedar hill is now the place to go for all shopping in south-west dallas county. Cedar hill has plenty of exemplary and recognized schools. As with any school district, a minority of schools could improve. Dallas isd is certainly no better than cedar hill isd. Homes in these areas range from > 50,000 to over 1 000 000. You can find the black middle class anywhere in the dfw metroplex but i believe that it is certainly concentrated in south-west dallas county

I encourage anyone thinking of moving to the dallas metro area to visit these areas personaly and not rely on some of the erronous info about these cities posted here
I would add Lancaster to the list of nice places to live. It is a middle-class community with a quality housing stock and affordable home prices. Very few cities it size can boast of having a municipal airport, community college, and a prime location (served by I-20, I-35, and near I-45). Despite the negative reputation of the school district, the elementary schools are still pretty good. I have a younger brother who attends the high school, and while the test scores need to improve significantly, it is not that bad.

By the way, it is nice to see another poster from the southern suburbs here. We definitely need more posters from our area. Welcome!

Old 06-30-2008, 09:09 PM

96 posts, read 402,268 times
Quote:
By the way, it is nice to see another poster from the southern suburbs here. We definitely need more posters from our area. Welcome!
Ditto on that. Until Southern Living replies, its been a bit discouraging to read about how bad southern Dallas County is. I live in Cedar Hill and can go on and on about it in positive ways if need be.
Southern Living, I know a lot of whites who did not leave this area but know a lot who did. In my neighborhood, well even on my street, it is mixed of all races and ethnicities but we co-exist somehow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas