Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2007, 11:11 PM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,391,913 times

Advertisements

Sadly, it looks like from the election results, Trinity Park will be losing 1/3 of its green space to an extremely expensive construction project. I am very glad that I'm just outside the limits and don't pay Dallas taxes, because I would not want to foot the bill for what it will cost to construct a 6-lane tollway a flood-plain--yes, the same floodplain that sat underwater this summer.

This 'concrete at any cost' and 'let's pave our way to Oklahoma' attitude should be a wake-up call for anyone thinking of moving to Dallas and expecting the natural green space that many other cities are wise enough to preserve. With the exception of White Rock Lake and a tiny patch of green called Turtle Creek, most of this city is turning into an endless parking lot. And getting rid of green space is not the smartest thing for a city that has such high rates of asthma among its residents. How lacking in vision are the people who sit on this city council! The only person on the council who showed any real integrity and stood up for a healthier greener Dallas was Angela Hunt. Bravo to you, Angela!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2007, 12:58 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,593,636 times
The toll road's costs are just going to go up now... they've been keeping from restating them during the referendum battle. Watch - it's next stop is $1.5B.

Brian

Old 11-07-2007, 06:47 AM

34 posts, read 78,114 times
Yep, this will be Dallas' big dig. I'm glad I'm not around there.

RichResident

Old 11-08-2007, 04:35 AM

108 posts, read 570,037 times
Dallas contribution to this road is capped. It won't cost us any more money. And if NTTA decides the tolls won't support it, or if the Corp of Engineers ultimately don't approve the plan, it won't get built at all.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:04 AM

937 posts, read 2,905,969 times
Yes it is "capped" technically but the city can easily find ways to funnel money to it from other funds. It's been done before.

Old 11-08-2007, 07:22 AM

5,760 posts, read 11,541,357 times
Does this all mean that I should start getting my sailboat ready to finally go sailing on the new downtown lakes? <snicker>

Do you think the new tollway will be bicycle and walker/jogger friendly? <second snicker>

Funniest part is that $7 to $8 gasoline will make the whole thing pretty worthless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas