Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 09:49 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times

Advertisements

Why even test a kid's IQ at 3.5 years old? Are they outperforming their peers dramatically in daycare or whatever equivelent? I don't think you should make too many choices based on that information at that age, and there are many things that are as important to success at schooling that doesn't get tested by IQ and is still mostly unknowable at that age. (friendliness, empathy, able to sit in a chair for 8 hours, following orders, hearing, eyes, etc).

Last edited by TheOverdog; 04-17-2013 at 09:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 11:32 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,465,044 times
Since when do people give 3 year old IQ tests? I find that strange. I also think all this gifted stuff is a bunch of stuff to make parents fee better about their kids. Every parent thinks their kids are gifted.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:09 PM

19,793 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
Since when do people give 3 year old IQ tests? I find that strange. I also think all this gifted stuff is a bunch of stuff to make parents fee better about their kids. Every parent thinks their kids are gifted.
IQ tests were developed to differentiate relative abilities amongst little kids. The notion being kids of varying abilities need different learning opportunities.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:02 PM

511 posts, read 838,236 times
TheOverDog, I wanted some assurance that should we decide to move to Garland ISD, that my children would qualify for the G&T schools. It's as simple as that. They are less than a year away from testing IF we are in the Garland ISD then. And I was not about to make a decision to move there simply because Mama thinks her snowflakes are special.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:06 PM

Dave, you seem like a reasonably smart fellow. Surely you do not think that because every mother may THINK her child is gifted that it follows that that no child is gifted or that giftedness is a "bunch of stuff." Or maybe you think we are all happy average gammas? I'd beg to differ.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:19 PM

7,890 posts, read 11,408,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
Why even test a kid's IQ at 3.5 years old? Are they outperforming their peers dramatically in daycare or whatever equivelent? I don't think you should make too many choices based on that information at that age, and there are many things that are as important to success at schooling that doesn't get tested by IQ and is still mostly unknowable at that age. (friendliness, empathy, able to sit in a chair for 8 hours, following orders, hearing, eyes, etc).
Data is always good in my view, but know the limits and range of implications from the data or its worthless as not having data. I do not pretend to be an expert but OP seems to have a good hea on shoulders and will make proper use of this data point. Your view as well as others on here help that view of the data to be in perspective.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:23 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
TheOverDog, I wanted some assurance that should we decide to move to Garland ISD, that my children would qualify for the G&T schools. It's as simple as that.
Ok, but if they are showing as gifted (without the IQ test data), were you expecting Garland to deny them due to too many other gifted kids (or other factors) or are you concerned that Garland does a poor job of identifying gifted children? In my opinion, public schools are exceptional at identifing gifted children, because those kids help their stats. You only need to worry if you are concerned about learning disabilities, which schools are more likely to sweep under the rug or falsely describe as discipline problems.

Old 04-17-2013, 01:54 PM

TheOverDog, I am embarrassed to admit I was afraid my daughter might make it but my son would not (they apparently accept them in a top down fashion from top percentile but you cannot know ahead of time down to which percentile will get in, it seems). Clearly that is not a concern anymore! I am leaning to Plano now though even if we can't afford a house in the ccoveted West Plano.

He actually had mild verbal delays very early on. Since then I've certainly thought he was a bright little guy but was not entirely sure where he stood (I know, I am still not but feel better about our chances at Garland).

Last edited by MobiusStrip; 04-17-2013 at 02:09 PM..

Old 04-18-2013, 09:46 PM

171 posts, read 358,974 times
Where do people go to take the IQ test ? Interested in knowing how much my daughter would score.

Old 04-18-2013, 10:00 PM

276 posts, read 528,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London29 View Post
Where do people go to take the IQ test ? Interested in knowing how much my daughter would score.
I think SMU does or you can ask a therapist, probably MENSA website has links to testing centers.

I wouldn't want to label my child that early on. Let them be children!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas