Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:59 PM

9 posts, read 36,679 times

Advertisements

Any one has information on how is the Charleston Commons community in Garland? I think Paul Taylor has some homes in it with good price range.. Any idea on which ISD it come under and details about the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2007, 08:09 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xkdasari View Post
Any one has information on how is the Charleston Commons community in Garland? I think Paul Taylor has some homes in it with good price range.. Any idea on which ISD it come under and details about the area?
Charleston Commons is located off of Brand Rd in Garland between 190 and Belt Line. It is pretty convienent to get to anywhere in the Dallas area. It is a new subdivision built in an area that to two sides have older subdivisions and a forest preserve on the other side. This area goes to the Garland ISD (I have two kids in it and am VERY HAPPY). Garland ISD is open choice meaning that you can pick which campus you want your child to go to but if it is not your "neighborhood school" those closer to it get first dibs. The elementary schools for that area are all good though. There are also academies that you can not pick as your child must test or be "invited" to attend. This area is not far from all of the new growth going on along 190 in the Firewheel area. Your a few minutes from Firewheel Town Center located at 190 & 78 (open air mall w/ a Dillards, Macy's, AMC theater, restaurants, shops, etc), shopping at 190 and North Garland Ave (SuperTarget, SuperWalmart, Sam's Club, LifeTime Fitness, restaurants galore, etc), the shops across 190 from the mall (Home Depot, Lowe's and the new Best Buy, Half Price Books, Petco and existing Chili's, Spring Creek BBQ, Kohl's, Hobby Lobby, Mardels, Albertsons, Hancock Fabrics a new Taco Bell, Wendy's, etc). Your options are pretty much endless w/in a VERY short drive w/o being right on top of all of it. Spring Creek Forest Preserve, Winters Park & Hawaiian Falls are real close by also.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:32 PM

momof2dfw,
Thanks for your reply. I work at 190&Jupiter. I guess it should be around 15-20min drive from this location. Being so close to 190 and all the shopping centers, I expected the price to be higher than what it is.. Am I missing something? Is there any catch that I need to be aware of :-( Also what are the tax rates for this particular area.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
momof2dfw,
Thanks for your reply. I work at 190&Jupiter. I guess it should be around 15-20min drive from this location. Being so close to 190 and all the shopping centers, I expected the price to be higher than what it is.. Am I missing something? Is there any catch that I need to be aware of :-( Also what are the tax rates for this particular area.
Your commute would be about 15 minutes w/ most of it being taken up by:
1. The 3 way stop at Brand & Naaman School Rd
2. The light at Brand & 190
3. The light at N. Garland Ave & 190
4. The light at N. Garland Ave & 190 if you stop at Starbucks or Chick-Fil-A on the way in

The reason the prices are the following:
1. The location is not "in" Firewheel but rather on the other side of 190
2. The yards are small
3. The current "major" roads out of the neighborhood are both two lane blacktops (Brand Rd & Apollo)

However, the prices are not "that cheap" either. You can find an existing home in Firewheel at that price but it is going to be the smallest on the street and may not be updated at all. I'd be hard pressed to say they are "cheap" since they are going from $85 - $108 sq ft. The one that is at $215K for 2800 sq ft is $76 sq foot - THAT IS LOW! I would not do that one as the resale would not be good w/ the master bedroom upstairs. But it is also the largest in the neighborhood and typically the smaller the house the higher the sq foot price. I don't see the area going down at all. The two older areas by there are still decently kept and on the other side of Belt Line from there are some nice well kept older brick ranch homes. Holding onto it for a good while and keeping it updated and the neighborhood clean it will hold its value. They seem to sell pretty good back there and it has not been heavily advertised.

As for taxes the rate for the city is .6886 and they are not that high. We have good water rates and elec rates since the city owns both. Our city services are really good too. Right now on the local forum everyone is raving about what an excellent job our waste services does in trash pick up and brush & bulky trash pick up every week. The city also owns its own landfill and we as citizens can use it free OR you can just sit large items, tree limbs, brush, etc on the curb and they will pick it up. Can't beat that.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:15 PM

Really appreciate your response. This is very helpful. Going by your post it looks like you have been to the paul taylor website. I am looking at the 2772sft home with the Master down. I am hoping Paul Taylor construction and customer service are good. I will try to go and look at the community sometime tomorrow. Do you know of any other new communities around this?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Really appreciate your response. This is very helpful. Going by your post it looks like you have been to the paul taylor website. I am looking at the 2772sft home with the Master down. I am hoping Paul Taylor construction and customer service are good. I will try to go and look at the community sometime tomorrow. Do you know of any other new communities around this?
I had to look real quick to make sure it was the one by me as I could not remember the name

Right by here there are not many new home subdivisions especially in that price range. You would have to go up to Murphy or Sachse.

Old 10-29-2007, 09:39 PM

ok.. a general question.. I looked at two communities one in Wylie and 1 in Sachse last weekend and liked one house in each of them.. but these are the issues..
1. For Wylie, it is a centex built home but the community does not have any amenities and also they have only electricity no gas for cooking/heating..
2. In Sachse, community is Parkwood Ranch which is right next to Woodbridge west of 78. I like the house but the builder is a custom home builder called Sumeer. Never heard before did some research on web got couple of negative reviews but nothing much..

Any idea on how to decide in these scenarios :-( I like both the houses but each have their share of risks.. I am not sure which is a safe risk to take..

Old 10-29-2007, 10:44 PM

11 posts, read 49,751 times
Default Why is the Master down Better

I am looking and I am going to offer on one with master up and 1 guest and 1 full bath down.

Should I be looking at something else.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
ok.. a general question.. I looked at two communities one in Wylie and 1 in Sachse last weekend and liked one house in each of them.. but these are the issues..
1. For Wylie, it is a centex built home but the community does not have any amenities and also they have only electricity no gas for cooking/heating..
2. In Sachse, community is Parkwood Ranch which is right next to Woodbridge west of 78. I like the house but the builder is a custom home builder called Sumeer. Never heard before did some research on web got couple of negative reviews but nothing much..

Any idea on how to decide in these scenarios :-( I like both the houses but each have their share of risks.. I am not sure which is a safe risk to take..

1. I would want gas. Electric rates are too high to go all electric. Also consider the commute out of and back to Wylie. You don't have many options.

2. Sumeer is not a true "custom builder" as you are still selecting from a set of floorplans that they offer. I try to read between the lines on consumer complaints. Does it sound legit or totally unreasonable to common sense? Try to look up on the counties websites if you can on court filings. I know you could thru Dallas County and could see how many lawsuits had been filed against someone like a builder. Having a lawsuit(s) is a little more accurate than just an online complaint. It means a lawyer actually thought it had grounds and took it on and the people actually had the knowledge to follow the law. In Texas we as homebuyers don't have much grounds for recourse when it comes to the builders. They are mananged and overseen by their ownselves. Pretty pathetic imho. Take your time and if something just does not feel right (go w/ your gut instinct here) then don't be in too big of a hurry to sign on the dotted line. This weekend should be another pretty one so go driving around the neighborhood and stop and talk to the people already living there.

Old 10-30-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake Ray View Post
I am looking and I am going to offer on one with master up and 1 guest and 1 full bath down.

Should I be looking at something else.
Typically in the Dallas market homes w/ the master up are stagnant. I know in other areas of the country that is the norm but it is not here. Having the guest bed/bath down helps in this case but it is still not an idea situation. The builders are doing it because they can put a large master suite over the garage or such and have a smaller footprint. They can build more houses by making their houses a smaller footprint. If they put a nice sized master suite downstairs along w/ the garage, kitchen, utility room, 1/2 bath, family room, dining room etc they need more land and have to build less houses. It cuts into their profit. In the long run you have a home that is not going to be ideal for a big chunk of the market. The older buyers are not going to want to climb stairs to get to their bedroom. Buyers w/ older kids don't want to be right next to their kids and hear all of the noise (loud stereo, sleepovers, etc). They want the kids to have the upstairs space while they have their "retreat" downstairs away from all of the ruckus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas