Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2013, 09:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,785 times

Advertisements

Hi guys, I'm new here. Thanks ahead of time for your advice.

I'm moving soon to Dallas for a new job in Las Colinas (Irving) Texas.

I know there is a transit system in Dallas but not sure where it goes completely.

I'm hoping to find a clean, 1 bedroom apartment type of place that is accessible distance to my new company's office in Las Colinas.

Are there any metro stops in Las Colinas that might connect my commute from a farther away neighborhood?

Thanks for any advice! I'm currently without a car and would like to do without one for a while if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 08:55 AM

19 posts, read 48,913 times
Default New job in Las Colinas - no car yet - nice places to live nearby?

Dovetails,

The light rail line in Las Colinas is fairly new and may or may not give you access to your company's location. Since you didn't give a specific location, I suggest you take a look at the DART website (Dart.org). That will give you the light rail and bus maps.

As for your desire to be without a car....
One of the odd things about Dallas is that it is possible to live in an area and not need a car for general daily living and your commute to work. These "walkable" areas tend to be pricier, thus negating any vehicle expenses you avoid by not owning though. However, if you want to take full advantage of what the metroplex has to offer (from entertainment , cultural events, restaurants or new employment locations) you really need a vehicle. That vehicle doesn't have to be nice, just reliable. There are some areas that may be perfect for you to live in, but do not have any public transportation available.

If you can give the board more specific information on your work location (cross streets) and budget , you will get some much more helpful advice than I was able to give.

Old 04-21-2013, 11:46 AM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
Not to mention that is gets REALLY HOT here in the summer. There will usually be several weeks where the temperature doesn't get below 80 degrees at night, so even that walk to work in the morning will leave you sweaty!

Even though there are several "mixed use" areas in Las Colinas, the bigger problem is there is no grocery store nearby. So, unless you can afford to eat out for every meal and survive on what food can be bought at a convenience store, or carry a week's worth of groceries on a bus, it's tough to be without a car here.

Most car dealerships will sell you a car with just a few hundred down as long as you have good credit.

Old 04-22-2013, 08:08 AM

692 posts, read 855,558 times
Christie raises an important point, especially for transplants who aren't accustomed to the heat, or couch potatoes who seriously object to sweating. If you're a runner or other athlete who thinks nothing of slipping out of her work clothes and getting all hot and sweaty, your plan will largely be workable. Otherwise, doing without a vehicle will only work if you live VERY close-in. There are apartments like that locally along the "lake."

More information would help us to help you, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: