Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 07:41 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That only applies to the very best players and that rule has only been in effect for one year, maybe two.
Agreed, I played club back in the early 2000's on some of the top teams and never had to sign anything stating I wouldn't play for my HS. I just choose not to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 08:21 AM

62 posts, read 143,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDS_ View Post
That only applies to the very best players and that rule has only been in effect for one year, maybe two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
>>What happened ben? Is it the norm or something that is cyclical?<<

Many of the better boys soccer players play for club teams don't allow them to play high school soccer. They sign a contract in the beginning of the season stating this. College recruiters come to watch the club soccer games and tournaments, not the high school games.

Are you saying that Plano West boys specifically this season have more players than other rival high schools playing on the competitive club teams or this is the rule in general across the high school game? Wouldn't this also apply to the girls at PWHS as well or is the best talent for both genders just playing the club game and the PWHS non club playing girls are just better than those at the other schools?

Just trying to get my head around this disparity this year between the soccer programs at PWHS as my family will be relocating in June to DFW and my son will be attending Renner MS (8th). He is a top player for his age here in Wisconsin and in our region up here so we'll be looking to get him into club soccer next season but eventually if he keeps playing he might be a Wolf and face a similar dilemma.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LFC74 View Post
Are you saying that Plano West boys specifically this season have more players than other rival high schools playing on the competitive club teams or this is the rule in general across the high school game? Wouldn't this also apply to the girls at PWHS as well or is the best talent for both genders just playing the club game and the PWHS non club playing girls are just better than those at the other schools?

Just trying to get my head around this disparity this year between the soccer programs at PWHS as my family will be relocating in June to DFW and my son will be attending Renner MS (8th). He is a top player for his age here in Wisconsin and in our region up here so we'll be looking to get him into club soccer next season but eventually if he keeps playing he might be a Wolf and face a similar dilemma.
You shouldn't be too worried. The club programs in North Texas produce some amazing players and you'll find plenty of competition.

Old 04-23-2013, 08:29 AM

62 posts, read 143,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
You shouldn't be too worried. The club programs in North Texas produce some amazing players and you'll find plenty of competition.
Yeah we were visiting in March during the Dallas Cup and took in some of the U13 games of FC Dallas and Dallas Texans. It was fun to watch but a little unseasonably cold so we didn't spend too long at the fields. Club soccer there is a different animal for sure than anything we have up here.......maybe the closest to it would be metro Chicago.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:02 PM

2,256 posts, read 9,761,000 times
>> Just trying to get my head around this disparity this year between the soccer programs at PWHS as my family will be relocating in June to DFW and my son will be attending Renner MS (8th). He is a top player for his age here in Wisconsin and in our region up here so we'll be looking to get him into club soccer next season but eventually if he keeps playing he might be a Wolf and face a similar dilemma.<<

Soccer tryouts are in June for most clubs. You might want to see which clubs he's interested in and have him here for tryouts.

Football/Lacrosse is huge here and most boys by the time they reach high school decide they want to play football or lacrosse rather than soccer.

Also:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/04/sp...anted=all&_r=0

>> The shift by the federation applies to its top boys teams around the country, requiring players on those teams — known as Development Academy teams — to participate in a nearly year-round season and, by extension, forcing them and their soccer moms and dads to decide whether they should play for their club or play for their school. <<

Old 04-23-2013, 04:44 PM

764 posts, read 1,656,770 times
The answer to your question is Yes. A few of the more competative teams do not permit players to play HS. We have a sophmore girl that plays for Chelsea Solar and she isn't "suppose" to play any other "contact" sport in High School - cross country & track are o.k. (But then, she's travels to Europe 2x with her team, so both her club and her parents have ALOT invested in her. We don't even have soccer at our school, so she could really only play Club.) So, unless your son makes it onto one of the top tier teams (and has national and international travel in his future), you probably don't have to worry about it. And if he is traveling internationally, then he'll have a whole other "high school" experience. Our club coach told us that most college recruiters come to the select North Texas Soccer Assoc. tournaments where there are teams from several states instead of attending "local" high school games. There's more players to watch from a wider area and they get more bang for the buck.

Old 04-24-2013, 07:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carroll4628 View Post
The answer to your question is Yes. A few of the more competative teams do not permit players to play HS. We have a sophmore girl that plays for Chelsea Solar and she isn't "suppose" to play any other "contact" sport in High School - cross country & track are o.k. (But then, she's travels to Europe 2x with her team, so both her club and her parents have ALOT invested in her. We don't even have soccer at our school, so she could really only play Club.) So, unless your son makes it onto one of the top tier teams (and has national and international travel in his future), you probably don't have to worry about it. And if he is traveling internationally, then he'll have a whole other "high school" experience. Our club coach told us that most college recruiters come to the select North Texas Soccer Assoc. tournaments where there are teams from several states instead of attending "local" high school games. There's more players to watch from a wider area and they get more bang for the buck.
Agreed! And international play is a whole different level. We were "nationally" ranked and went to Brazil for a tournament. Our entire team was completely humbled by the experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas