Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 01:58 PM

1 posts, read 1,696 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from Houston, TX. Grew up there until I was 10 then was forced by my parents to move to Kansas City. I absolutely hate it here since the day I moved. I remember driving into town and feeling so sad about what a small, cold, gloomy city it is.
Anyway, I'm 25 now and I am planning on moving to Dallas by August this year . I have a sister in North Dallas (Farmer's Branch) and I would prefer to live close to her. I have a work from home job so the only problem I would have is to be close to a University and a good school for my daughter.
Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 02:18 PM

43 posts, read 123,964 times
I lived 9 years in KC and moved here from there as well... I actually miss KC..I like Dallas but there ain't nothing like power and light, midtown, or plaza here in Dallas. I wouldn't say either or is better, in my point of view they're on par with each other in essence to me with Dallas being triple the population of KC obviously.

To your question, as far as I am aware, Farmers branch will be far away from a good university. You can try to Denton for UNT or live around las colinas in Irving to be closer to UTA. Plano has the best school system for children. I think Plano is closer to "SMU". It's not that hard to get to farmers branch from west plano either...Though I prefer west plano, all plano is nice as far as school system...from what I've heard numerous times.

Good luck and enjoy KC...I wanted to get out so bad for yearsssss too but here I am, shocked with myself for missing it!

Old 04-23-2013, 02:54 PM

212 posts, read 410,010 times
Depends on what kind of program/university you are looking for. Brookhaven Community Colllege is in Farmers Branch if you are still doing basic coursework. The George H.W. Bush elementary school (technically Addison) is brand new on Spring Valley between Marsh and Midway. No idea what the quality of the teaching is like. Fairly decent selection of apartment complexes in that area as well as condos for rent along Oakbrook in Farmers Branch proper. That area is also a doable commute (with a car, not public transportation) to University of Texas - Dallas in Richardson.

If you are ready for UTD now, there are nice apartment/condo complexes along Renner Road, Richardson Drive and Custer Road in Richardson which might be suitable. Richardson is known for the quality of its public schools. You would of course have to check which apartments feed into which schools. Richardson to Farmers Branch is about 20 minutes (depending on where you are starting/ending).

The University of North Texas is a good comprehensive university, about 30 miles north of Farmers Branch. The commute up and down I-35 would be direct, but it would not be fun.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:33 PM

2 posts, read 5,392 times
The UTD area is your best investment. Look at UTDs website, the school is gnna be elite within 10 years. Everyone will want to go there, you will wish you had rental property there. Your daughter will want to go there when shes older, it will be officially better than SMU.

Old 05-12-2013, 09:39 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smrtnclssy View Post
The UTD area is your best investment. Look at UTDs website, the school is gnna be elite within 10 years. Everyone will want to go there, you will wish you had rental property there. Your daughter will want to go there when shes older, it will be officially better than SMU.
LOL.....yes, that area around UTD is great & affordable and feeds into good public K-12 schools. But UTD is never going to be more appealing to traditional college students than a SMU/ TCU/ Baylor/ UT-Austin type school. It wasn't built to have the campus life / Greek system/ NCAA DIV I athletics/ etc of those other schools and doesn't have any sort of growth plan to go down that path. The growth plan on their website that you referenced only speaks to further strengthening their academic departments and a lovely landscaping plan for the campus. Tier 1 research university does not draw hot girls and a competitive DI football team (per your other thread). Sorry, kid.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:19 PM

76 posts, read 106,262 times
I love Downtown KC and the Plaza!!!

If you hate Overland Park, you'll hate Plano.

Move close to Downtown Dallas.

Kansas City suburbs are exactly like Dallas Suburbs. Exactly!!!

Old 05-12-2013, 10:30 PM

611 posts, read 2,234,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delongchampsnoir View Post
I love Downtown KC and the Plaza!!!

If you hate Overland Park, you'll hate Plano.

Move close to Downtown Dallas.

Kansas City suburbs are exactly like Dallas Suburbs. Exactly!!!
did you even read what the OP wrote?

nowhere in their post does it even mention Overland Park much less that they hate it

the OP would be wise to 100% ignore the above advice since living closer to downtown dallas would mean they would be living closer to people that can't read and people that place their own silly bias against suburbs ahead of giving actual useful information

also the OP is 25 years old and looking for GOOD schools for their daughter and close to a university....again that pretty much 100% excludes anything that is in dallas proper unless they want to live in one of the single areas that are expensive to live in that have one of the 2 or 3 decent schools in DISD and subject themselves and their child to the whims of DISD deciding to trash those schools by redoing the attendance zones....and while SMU is a fine school I think it would be hard for a 25yo unless the are independently wealthy to live in Lakewood to be near the FEW good schools in DISD and to also pay to go to SMU

look to live in Richardson, west Plano or even Famers Branch or Lewisville and just check the schools in each....Richardson should pretty much have good schools across the board with perhaps an exception or two at the k-5 level and same with Plano and Lewisville and Famers Branch you will want to check a bit closer on the schools for each zone

also one important thing you will need to live in Texas at least a year without going to ANY university or community college and having been gainfully employed for that entire year before you can become eligible for in state tuition and if you do not wait that year and have a job that entire year and you start at a university or community college then you will pay out of state tuition until you graduate....so do not look to start at a university or community college immediately upon moving to Texas unless prepared to pay out of state tuition the full 4+ years

and avoid dallas proper and anything near downtown dallas unless you want your child to turn out like ^^^^^^^ up there.....unable to read or to properly understand what is being ask

Old 05-13-2013, 10:18 AM

76 posts, read 106,262 times
If you hate Kansas City, you will most likely hate Dallas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: