Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-30-2007, 04:56 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,628,783 times

Advertisements

Is there any community in Dallas that remotely resembles The Woodlands in Houston? I mean in terms of size, amenities, walkways, etc etc; The Woodlands to me has always been the gold standard as to which other private communities are held. So far I haven't found any that could match it...
Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 07:23 PM

11 posts, read 35,797 times
No Woodlands nor The Memorial in DFW

Old 10-30-2007, 08:20 PM

1,518 posts, read 5,252,601 times
I sure hope not. Plano or Frisco would be close.

But there are many areas like memorial in DFW. Lakewood, Preston Hollow, North Dallas. But they aren't as cheap looking as Memorial.

Old 10-31-2007, 10:00 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,728,395 times
Taking a guess: Would Montgomery Farms in Allen be close?

Old 10-31-2007, 11:10 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,753,771 times
Excuse me... but we DO have trees! At least ONE is allocated per each new house lot!

Seriously, though, we DO have trees, more so in the older communities.

And, the biggest difference between Dallas and Houston that I observed while residing in Houston (ugh!)... was that, while you can live anywhere in the DFW metroplex and be close to any/every facility you could ever want/desire... Houston built all of these communities (like Kingwood, The Woodlands, etc.) WITHOUT any forethought/foresight in accommodating the people living there as far as highways, decent conveniences, much less recreational activities, shopping, etc, that match the quality of the housing/lifestyle you would "think" it would have afforded you. Yes, I love the woodsy areas of Kingwood and The Woodlands... but that puts you 30-50 miles from anything to do... while having to travel through some "not so desirable areas" to even get to them... from any direction! Not so Dallas!

As you can tell, I am on the DALLAS side of the Dallas vs. Houston... ahem... "discussions"... (but wayyy off the OP's original question... sorry!)

So, back to your question, look around areas you're interested in... and read up on the hundreds of threads w/pics already opened by others moving to DFW. I believe you'll find many communities that will far surpass The Woodlands in every way!

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 10-31-2007 at 11:30 PM..

Old 11-01-2007, 08:54 AM

3,073 posts, read 11,541,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runnn View Post
Ummm, I hate to "burst the bubble" but the Woodlands is considered part of Houston... lived in Houston in a far & away suburb like The Woodlands for just over 6-1/2 years until recently.
Right. The Woodlands is Houston. More so than Sugar Land is, in my opinion.

But again, you won't find any Dallas suburb like it. I can let you know that from the jump.

Old 11-01-2007, 01:48 PM

3,702 posts, read 18,149,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Right. The Woodlands is Houston. More so than Sugar Land is, in my opinion.

But again, you won't find any Dallas suburb like it. I can let you know that from the jump.
The only reason the Woodlands is not actually part of Houston now is because the folks there are paying bribes to Houston to keep from being annexed. Sugarland is an incorporated city and cannot be annexed like the Woodlands.

Old 11-01-2007, 02:58 PM

5 posts, read 64,531 times
Just Google Master planned communities in Dallas Fort Worth. Thats what the woodlands are thats what your looking for.

Old 11-01-2007, 10:55 PM

6,848 posts, read 11,753,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2sa View Post
Excuse me... but we DO have trees! At least ONE is allocated per each new house lot!

Seriously, though, we DO have trees, more so in the older communities.

And, the biggest difference between Dallas and Houston that I observed while residing in Houston (ugh!)... was that, while you can live anywhere in the DFW metroplex and be close to any/every facility you could ever want/desire... Houston built all of these communities (like Kingwood, The Woodlands, etc.) WITHOUT any forethought/foresight in accommodating the people living there as far as highways, decent conveniences, much less recreational activities, shopping, etc, that match the quality of the housing/lifestyle you would "think" it would have afforded you. Yes, I love the woodsy areas of Kingwood and The Woodlands... but that puts you 30-50 miles from anything to do... while having to travel through some "not so desirable areas" to even get to them... from any direction! Not so Dallas!

As you can tell, I am on the DALLAS side of the Dallas vs. Houston... ahem... "discussions"... (but wayyy off the OP's original question... sorry!)

So, back to your question, look around areas you're interested in... and read up on the hundreds of threads w/pics already opened by others moving to DFW. I believe you'll find many communities that will far surpass The Woodlands in every way!

For the poster that gave me a minus rep along with sending this comment and I quote, "misleading, no such tall pines in dallas!!"

Where oh where in my post above, did I ever mention "tall pines in dallas"???

As far as trees, we DO have trees. In fact, we even have pine trees (I can look right out my front window at two TALL pine trees over three stories high, complete with needles AND pine cones)... though certainly we do NOT have them to the extent that Houston does.

As far as my comment about having communities surpassing The Woodlands... yes, there are many. As suggested in one of the posts above, google the master planned communities in the Dallas metroplex... and yes, there are trees (but probably NOT a lot of "tall pine trees").

I hope this clears up any "misleading" information you found objectionable because that was certainly NOT my intention. I just did not realize that it was necessary to be species-specific.

Last edited by BstYet2Be; 11-01-2007 at 11:03 PM..

Old 11-02-2007, 08:37 AM

2,394 posts, read 8,567,074 times
I've driven through the Woodlands on my way to Galveston for a cruise and through Sugarland to do the MS150 a few years ago, so I didn't stop. From the highway, it looks to be a master planned area like a lot of areas north of Dallas. Could someone familiar draw some comparisons (pros and cons) of the Woodlands so I have a point of reference for this thread?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas