Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 02:29 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,572 times

Advertisements

You will need a car in Plano. The offices buildings off of Legacy are spread out on acreage, for some reason they went for the campus type design. I use to work off of legacy. I saw a few coworkers ride the bus, but it did not look fun. Some of those campus buildings would be a hike from the bus stop. You can make make it in Dallas proper with out a car, but only in certain areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 05:36 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,824,181 times
Don't forget the hellish heat of the summer. You really can't go walking/biking to work as you will be wet and stinky when you get there. It's miserable after work/weekends as well.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-27-2013, 07:10 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy23 View Post
Thank you so much, you've all been really helpful! I'm so excited to move now.
One more thing though, is it really that necessary for me to own a car. I plan to get one eventually but I don't think I can afford one right away. Could I live a year or two without one or is transit really not that good in Dallas?
If you're working in Plano, I highly suggest getting a car immediately.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:31 PM

13 posts, read 79,648 times
We are also moving from Canada to Dallas, from Toronto, the cost is significantly lower than Canada, you will be pleasantly surprised. The weather, while hot in summer, there is a very short winter, no more snow tires and miserable winter as in Canada every year.

You will enjoy it, we are moving in 2 weeks time, Plano is an excellent area, you can also consider Richardson which is closer to downtown.

I am looking forward to the change, for comparison, we are moving to a 2-bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment in a very good school district, and the cost is $1090 a month - that includes 2 swimming pools, fitness center, parking, club house..and this is consider expensive, I could get a townhome for around $1000 range.

We are renting first year, and will buy a house eventually - there are apartments and townhomes for sale under $100,000 everywhere in Dallas areas.

It's not Dallas is cheap, it's Vancouver and Canada overall is expensive - $1000 is probably enough just for a tiny dirty basement in Vancouver.

There are lots of jobs in Plano area, especially telecommunications & IT related.

Happy to answer any question you have and share the experience.

Old 07-07-2013, 05:55 PM

24 posts, read 140,379 times
Another Canuck here in Plano from BC. You will need a transportation here in Plano, so try to plan for it as soon as possible. When my wife first moved here, she doesn't know how to drive. I had to hire instructor(s) to teach her how to drive very quickly, and she got her DL within 2 weeks. The car here is relatively inexpensive compared to Canada. If you have an offer letter, most likely you will qualify for a new car loan. Having said that, it is also possible find an apartment near your work. Plano is kind of big, which part of Plano you will be working at? Msg me if you any further help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdy23 View Post
Thank you so much, you've all been really helpful! I'm so excited to move now.
One more thing though, is it really that necessary for me to own a car. I plan to get one eventually but I don't think I can afford one right away. Could I live a year or two without one or is transit really not that good in Dallas?

Old 07-19-2013, 07:43 PM

13 posts, read 79,648 times
Ditto on the last post, and also, if you have a Canadian license, there is a reciprocal agreement, so you can just change the license. I actually find traffic in Dallas better than Toronto and Vancouver, the roads are very wide here, and yes, cars are much cheaper and taxes are also much cheaper. Msg me if you have questions, I live on the border of Plano-Richardon-Dallas, near UTD.

The rent is such a great value compared to Canada. You can also look at buying a house or a condo, a nice townhome can be around $75,000 to $100,000, a nice house in Plano area can be $200,000 to $300,000 range.

Welcome to Texas, lots of Canadians are here and truly enjoy the change of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: