Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Your preference for backyard
Alley 10 16.13%
Ravine, creek, green belt, golf course 43 69.35%
Church/school 0 0%
Neighbor's yard 9 14.52%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 02:52 PM

257 posts, read 550,244 times

Advertisements

Not all creek lots are created equal, for sure. A lot with a deep creek (or heaven-forbid, a ravine) is subject to erosion, which can occur faster than you think. (Just ask the Whidbey Island folks in Washington.)

Also, creek lots (even those with small creeks) can require flood insurance, even though the possibility of a flood from that size creek is minimal. Flood insurance can be costly, so research that before you make an offer.

Golf course lots are okay, I guess, but I hate those wrought iron fences that most people put up along the golf course. Reminds me of a jail cell. I'd rather see my 8' board-on-board fence than those bars.

Neighbor's yard is okay, if you have good neighbors. That's always a crap-shoot.

All things being equal, I would choose the house that has the size/layout/location I like and not worry so much about whether there's a yard or a greenbelt or an alley back there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 03:28 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,716 times
That's another myth, very few Creek communities require or need flood insurance. Most people hate wooden fences and their upkeep and whole point of golf course home is to enjoy lush green grass. But of course buying a house means many things to consider and priorities are different for different folks, some value curb appeal and value others paint shades etc

Old 04-26-2013, 04:18 PM

276 posts, read 528,694 times
I agree. There are lots of myths out there. I have had experience with both types of yards and had zero trouble. Well, some bunnies did eat our flowers and once in a while ducks trespassed but nothing serious.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:06 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,274,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveplano View Post
Interesting thread .... Did all our homework and bought our house in a very nice gated neighborhood. The vacant land behind our community though zoned residential SF, the city decided to put a MF in there & did it in no time. We filed a class action lawsuit and fought the city in vain. So...that was my experience and here is a lesson to be learnt.
Excuse my ignorance but what is a MF? I've seen a few houses on realtor.com with some undeveloped land behind them (glacing at satellite photos). Vacant land always scares me a bit because you never know what will be developed right next to you.

In our current neighborhood in NJ, there were some houses in the later phases that were next to some woods. The plan was to develop another huge neighborhood and that quiet street would have been a main thoroughfare....shudder. The township ended up purchasing the land to preserve the space so it turned out well for the houses next to the undeveloped space.

Old 04-27-2013, 09:34 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
We have a very high profile professional football player in our (gated) neighborhood. He doesn't live on the golf course and bought one of the homes that backs up to an alley & also has a circular drive in front. I guess security and alternate escapes/extra driveways are something he valued when house hunting. If you think about it, maybe golf course lots present more trespasser access opportunities. I used to live on a golf course (no, don't play) and loved the acres of green, groomed grass and we even had a pond view. Only downside was the profanity being shouted from golfers at times! But I would gladly live on a course again, especially on starter holes 3-5, where they finish early enough in the day that there's not a steady stream of golf carts during the pretty evenings.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:11 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linmora View Post
Excuse my ignorance but what is a MF? I've seen a few houses on realtor.com with some undeveloped land behind them (glacing at satellite photos). Vacant land always scares me a bit because you never know what will be developed right next to you.
Multi-Family. (think apartments)

Old 04-28-2013, 08:15 AM

70 posts, read 333,301 times
of course, everyone wants backyard is close to Ravine, creek, green belt, golf course, Except that, therre maybe different choices.

Old 04-29-2013, 09:20 AM

170 posts, read 374,034 times
I would compromise on interior if a house has a scenic yard.

Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 PM

120 posts, read 221,322 times
I am currently in market for a home with views. My wife is a nature lover and only condition she had for moving to Dallas was to find a place with a truly green backyard and paths to ride her bike to near by places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas