Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 03:46 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,486,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTallest View Post
Haha, I knew someone would try to turn this into a Houston vs Dallas thing
No, it turned into that when the Houston homers came into the Dallas forum trying to marginalize a monumental Dallas achievement... Don't get it twisted

Quote:
Houston doesnt need a silly library to be world class, it already is a world class city. Why would the bigger city with the better university be jealous of a library featuring the mediocracy that is George W. Bush? Not that Houston even made an attempt at getting the library anyways...
Because they don't have one

Quote:
Houston is a more liberal city (they have a lesbian mayor after all), so I dont think a library for Bush would of suited it as well.
Neither, Dallas or Houston are designated as liberal Utopias... Both are moderate and lean left of centet. Houston may be more libertarian, with it's lack of zoning and regulation.

Off topic, but What does Houston's mayor have to do with anything? Why do people always throw in, that she is a lesbian? I have respect for her for overcoming prejudices and winning many city-wide elections. She is a successful talented politician, and she shouldn't be defined solely by her sexual orientation.

Quote:
Its a great thing for SMU and should help out the school, I just dont see it having much of an impact on the city itself. Your crazy if you think a presidential library would make New York City any more of a city than it already is.. either your overstating the importance of this library, or your not giving the city of Dallas enough credit.
It will be great for SMU, and add to the GREATNESS of Dallas. Big things happen here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 06:36 AM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
This should be a Dallas vs Houston thing. Both are world class so good for Dallas getting this jewel on its crown. With two major cities, Texas has a lot to be proud. But why argue about them, its like someone saying which is better, the Ravens or the Giants? Two different sports both great teams

Old 04-26-2013, 06:44 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,015 times

Old 04-26-2013, 07:27 AM

6,255 posts, read 17,095,367 times
Judging by how many people voted NOT to name part of Central Expressway after Bush, I'm guessing the majority of Dallas doesn't think having the Bush library is a big deal at all. In fact, a lot of people are probably upset to see his name on something in our city.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:35 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,739,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
You also have to consider this is the George W Bush Library. A very controversial and divisive personality of the recent past. The value of this library on your cities image will depend a lot on how history treats the man whos name the library bares. The bigger deal you make of it, the more his legacy will be identified with Dallas. So I suppose many of you will try the best you can to rehabilitate his legacy, since it, and your cities image, will be joined at the hip, to a certian extent, for a long time to come..

41's legacy is basically set at this point, and of course he is near the end of his life. But 43 will probably be around for a very long time. Do you accept his legacy ? Let the revisionist history begin.....
As people have said, this is for SMU not really Dallas. SMU was chosen not because its in Dallas, but because its the alma matter of the first lady and also inside the state which he represented. I know Baylor tried to get it as well.

The primise of this thread is dumb. A presidential library doesnt make a city world class. Its nice to have I suppose, but of the aspects of Dallas that are world class, this wouldnt make the list.

As a side note, world class cities absolutely do brag about being world class.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:47 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
Judging by how many people voted NOT to name part of Central Expressway after Bush, I'm guessing the majority of Dallas doesn't think having the Bush library is a big deal at all. In fact, a lot of people are probably upset to see his name on something in our city.
I'm not a fan of Bush 43...never was.

I don't think having his Presidential library in our city makes it 'world class'. I don't see it as a terribly negative thing either.

It's just a thing...it's there, I'm here, it doesn't change anything about my day to day existence. If people are upset about it, they're kind of wasting their time. It's just a building.

Old 04-26-2013, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
I'm not a fan of Bush 43...never was.

I don't think having his Presidential library in our city makes it 'world class'. I don't see it as a terribly negative thing either.

It's just a thing...it's there, I'm here, it doesn't change anything about my day to day existence. If people are upset about it, they're kind of wasting their time. It's just a building.
My sentiments exactly.

Old 04-26-2013, 10:51 AM

6,291 posts, read 7,497,291 times
Exclamation George W Bush library !

Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
As people have said, this is for SMU not really Dallas. SMU was chosen not because its in Dallas, but because its the alma matter of the first lady and also inside the state which he represented. I know Baylor tried to get it as well.

The primise of this thread is dumb. A presidential library doesnt make a city world class. Its nice to have I suppose, but of the aspects of Dallas that are world class, this wouldnt make the list.

Yes, world class cities, do brag about being world class. But would a world class city brag about the George W Bush library? This is the question... And if so, how much bragging is it worth

Old 04-26-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
Yes, world class cities, do brag about being world class. But would a world class city brag about the George W Bush library? This is the question... And if so, how much bragging is it worth
I dont see that Dallas is bragging about having the library. Dont mistake a few posters with the city. There are festivities surrounding the library, but that would be anywhere.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:09 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
I never noticed any bragging or hand-wringing about world-class status in London, Paris, or Berlin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas