Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 06:34 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vadha1 View Post
I think its more of a mindset on beliefs and work ethics more so than anyhting else. The majority of Californians are left wing liberals with a lazy mindset who look for everyone else to support them rather than working hard to achieve they're own goals. This is the main reason why California is a failing state. I think Texans are more likely to accept you if you are looking to contribute to society rather than take from society.
That's a pretty ignorant statement. The reason California got into trouble was because the government tried to do too much, not because we were somehow a bunch of lazy loafers just waiting for someone to take care of us. As someone who is from California and now lives in Texas, there is no difference in the hard work ethic either place. Both places are full of very hard workers with a smaller portion of the population that try to take advantage.

To answer the OP, I've had no problems here. Everyone has been welcoming and in 4 years I have only had one person come back with insults when I told them I was from California. Honestly, I don't really know many people from Texas at all living here. Most everyone I meet is from California, India, Mexico, or elsewhere in the US. Statistically, the DFW area is 57% born out of state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 06:38 AM

12 posts, read 16,924 times
I am not speaking about everyone in California, just the majority. You may be in the minority of Californians who has the proper mindset. I am in the minority of NY'ers who is tryingto get out of NY for the same reasons you may have left Cali. You are right governement is too big in both NYC and Cali and that is because people voted for that! Texans dont believe in big government. That is why the state is doing so well.

Old 05-24-2013, 07:50 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
Most everyone I meet is from California, India, Mexico, or elsewhere in the US. Statistically, the DFW area is 57% born out of state.
Only 57%?

People look at me like I'm insane when I tell them I was born and raised here.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM

As individuals I don't have much of a problem with Californians; some are good, some are not.

If I had to state a preference for which carpetbaggers I like best, I'd say people from Michigan. They seem to be genuinely happy to be here and they seem to genuinely appreciate the place for what it is. I haven't met one yet who gabs endlessly about 'back in Michigan' or who complains about the geography here.

I'll be honest though, I don't like all these people moving here and I wish they'd stop. DFW is sprawling non-stop towards Oklahoma like a fat man on a couch who won't stop eating and keeps getting fatter and fatter.

Not only are our resources (power and water, specifically) being strained, occasionally to breaking point but look for that to become more frequent but we are dealing with more air pollution, more waste, more roads, more urban heat sink effect (which does affect weather and don't let anyone tell you it doesn't), etc.

Plus, the people who are moving here often don't share our values and they influence the natives. People in Dallas already had a tendency to be shallow and materialistic, but IMHO it is becoming more and more difficult to find people who don't have an entitlement mentality or the delusion that he who dies with the most toys, wins.

So...I'm not going to insult a Californian to his/her face, and I may even befriend one. But I don't like what they're doing to DFW as a group.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:43 AM

4,153 posts, read 9,267,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie02 View Post
I currently live in a city in the West where the locals believe that Californians invaded their territory. There's a very "them and us" attitude.
Is it the same way in the Dallas area?

I just read a post that makes me wonder.
Define West? Are you talking about West Texas?

As for Dallas, you can't throw a rock in this city without hitting a transplant. So you shouldn't have any issues fitting in with Dallas. Now for Texan mentality towards Californians or other transplants. As a Native West Texan, I don't have a general issue with people who are genuinely moving to Texas for a better life. My issue however is with those transplants who expect Texas to change, whether it be to meet their social or political ideologies. Example, Texas dispite having long Democrat political roots, has always maintained a Strong Conservative idealology. So voting differently is considered trying to change Texas to suit ones political ideology they supported in their former state and is not welcomed by me. If you truly love Texas, why try and change it?

Last edited by SVTRay; 05-24-2013 at 09:07 AM..

Old 05-24-2013, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTRay View Post
Define West? Are you talking about West Texas?
I doubt it, she's probably in the Pacific Northwest or Arizona, maybe Colorado. People in those areas complain about Californians invading like a plague of locusts.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:21 AM

Quote:
I am not speaking about everyone in California, just the majority. You may be in the minority of Californians who has the proper mindset. I am in the minority of NY'ers who is tryingto get out of NY for the same reasons you may have left Cali. You are right governement is too big in both NYC and Cali and that is because people voted for that! Texans dont believe in big government. That is why the state is doing so well.
No, its not the majority of Californians. The majority of Californians are hard workers too just like here. In both California and Texas (and really anywhere) you are going to find people who mooch off the system. That should allow us to cast such a wide net where we label most people from a place as a certain way.

You cant judge the people by who they elect. Many times, there is a disconnect. I know almost nobody (even my diehard Republican friends) who like Rick Perry. Yet, they still vote for him.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:36 AM

12 posts, read 16,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme02 View Post
No, its not the majority of Californians. The majority of Californians are hard workers too just like here. In both California and Texas (and really anywhere) you are going to find people who mooch off the system. That should allow us to cast such a wide net where we label most people from a place as a certain way.

You cant judge the people by who they elect. Many times, there is a disconnect. I know almost nobody (even my diehard Republican friends) who like Rick Perry. Yet, they still vote for him.
Once again, if the majority of Californians were hard working, small government, low tax minded voters than California wouldnt be in the state it is in. So i do assume that one you are the minority of Californians and two the majority are the ones voting for theyre own small minded political views rather than what is best for everyone. IE: Women voting for Obama in cali because they want abortion legal, rather than the fact that he is the most anti-american minded president in the history of this county with Carter falling in second place to him.

The main point here is that people are moving to Texas for there own selfish reasons like jobs and such without understanding why Texas is doing so much better than states like California. If people are going to relocate at least embrass what your doing rather than move someplace and expect it to change for themselves.

Old 05-24-2013, 11:49 AM

2,885 posts, read 4,646,325 times
Quote:
IE: Women voting for Obama in cali because they want abortion legal, rather than the fact that he is the most anti-american minded president in the history of this county with Carter falling in second place to him.
There's a point at which we're not talking about issues relevant to moving to DFW but rather are being stridently political. I think you've hit that point here. A discussion of Obama and what makes him awful or notsomuch likely belongs on another board, since he's President regardless of what state in the US you're living in.

Texas is generally a low-tax state with "smaller" government that makes greater use of "user fees" and partially or completely privatizes many items that other states would have within the purview of government. Recent voting trends don't show this changing any time soon, although it certainly could over time. I think the more likely "liberal" changes are in social views rather than economic. Lots of people who move here like this about Texas. Yes, there are also people who move here for the weather, or because they've been effectively "bribed" to do so (Hi there!).

Old 05-24-2013, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Once again, if the majority of Californians were hard working, small government, low tax minded voters than California wouldnt be in the state it is in.
So you have to be conservative to be hard working?

Im a very hard worker and Im definately not conservative and I rarely vote red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas