Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 09:23 AM

73 posts, read 112,200 times

Advertisements

I just joined this thread after reading many of the posts about the Dallas private school scene. Maybe some of you resident experts can help me out? Background info: I am 27, attended DISD from Kindergarten through sophomore year and spent my junior and senior year in Mesquite ISD. I am one of those people that's very education driven and I have been since I was really young. I wanted desperately to attend private school back then, but we simply could not afford it. I left the area for college, but I've been back in Dallas for awhile now.

My older sister shares my intelligence, but not my drive. She lives in Kaufman County and has two sons. Her youngest son D is finishing 3rd grade and has struggled all year. Prior to now, he always excelled in school. He and his older brother G have both been diagnosed with ADHD. G is classic ADHD, but in my opinion, D doesn't seem to fit that profile. We've had multiple conferences with D's teacher since October, who has insisted all year that his issues are simply behavior. D is a very typical boy that would rather play outside than sit still, plus he likes to push buttons and test limits, so I know it's partly true. However, behavior doesn't explain why D comes home crying because school is too hard, or why a bright, extremely curious child who loves to learn now declares that he hates school.

D's greatest deficiency is reading, so I insisted the school test him for dyslexia in December and we were told that he does not have an LD; however, at this point, I'm not sure I trust their results. Despite the lack of school support he had improved some, maintaining a low C average until this week when he failed 6 different reading assignments. Also, D's become more emotional than before and picky about his appearance and when I asked why, I found out that apparently D's classmates tease him about being stupid and it's started to snowball into bullying. D is a charmer and the most outgoing child I've ever known. He has made friends easily his whole life and was always the most popular in any crowd, so this was a huge shock. I feel like D is a shell of the bright, fun-loving child I've helped raise and I don't know how to get that kid back. My sister finally agreed that this is the last straw and D will not be returning there in August. I'm now tasked with finding a new school and beginning to repair the damage. I've started by signing D up for a TCU Summer Reading course this June at Lakehill, and both D & G will be attending Club Scientific camps in July. I'm also looking into having D independently tested for ADHD and LDs to ensure he gets a correct diagnosis either way.

I'd love to send D to St. Mark's or Greenhill, but I simply cannot afford it (not to mention waitlists, etc). The most affordable private schools I've found are Catholic, but we're Protestant Christian and not comfortable with that. Is there any way to find a listing of current private school tuition rates in one place? Also, what are the different tiers I've seen some of you allude to? I checked into charters, but I don't know anyone who's used them and don't know if the ones that seem good actually are. I'm also open to good public schools...unfortunately, I live in DISD but don't live in the boundaries for Stonewall Jackson or Lakewood and it's too late in the year for the magnet progam, so I'm at a loss. I live in the Village Apartments (75206) and my sister works in Mesquite off I-635, Hwy 80 and Galloway, so I'm looking in areas around there, too. Any and all help/advice in regards to schools for him is needed, welcomed and appreciated. Sorry this is so long, but I feel like D's very life depends on my next move. D turns 9 next month and I want to give him hope that things will get better before he turns 10.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 11:00 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,312,880 times
If you really do suspect your nephew has learning disabilities, the Shelton School in far north Dallas is the premier school for LD's. From what you're describing, it doesn't sound like your nephew is a good fit for a St Mark's / Greenhill type private with his current academic record. The Hillier School at Highland Park Presbyterian Church is also quite good with LD students (much smaller than Shelton); it goes up through grade 8. It would be close to your apartment in the Village.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:05 AM

161 posts, read 260,452 times
Austin elementary is one of the better schools in Mesquite. There are a lot of teachers that have been there for 15 years and longer.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:43 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,485,920 times
Start with a thorough evaluation before deciding what type of school.
Shelton School: Shelton Evaluation Center
Shelton helps students who are not enrolled at their school. Also take a look at their summer programs.

Old 05-11-2013, 11:46 AM

2,973 posts, read 9,485,920 times
Here's a resource if you still suspect dyslexia.
Resources for Parents of Children with Dyslexia & Learning Disorders

Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,865,702 times
Catholic schools would not be a good fit for someone with learning disabilities. They don't have the resources to help them.

The Shelton School would be a good place to start.

Good Luck!

Old 05-12-2013, 07:39 AM

208 posts, read 336,141 times
Your nephew is lucky to have such an invested Aunt

I second the Shelton recommendation - they have a school and also an independent evaluation/testing center. They also have summer school and Saturday school during the school year for dyslexic remediation.

Scottish Rite also has a free evaluation service and program for a diagnosis of dyslexia - it's about a 5 month process (or it was when we went through it) and you have to get his teacher to fill out some info but if cost is an issue, worth looking into.

Here's another resource I've used for my kids, which I think is excellent - Dr. Sally Kirkham She does academic assessments/IQ testing/school consulting and has a tutoring service based on an individualized plan she creates and supervises. Very reasonable pricing and she's close to you. She sees students from all over the metroplex.

Also, just my 2 cents, but I get the advertisements for the TCU reading program every year and have never used it, but it looks to me like a glorified and expensive program for teaching you how to work with you child on reading, not actual reading instruction. I could be wrong but if it were me I'd use that money toward getting an academic evaluation.

Best wishes to you and bless you for helping your nephew find his way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas