Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 01:04 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,537,940 times

Advertisements

Need some help--trying to help a friend find a place to live. They are moving from NYC and looking in Uptown/Oak Lawn or really anywhere near downtown. I'm trying to convince them to add the M-Streets/Lower Greenville/Knox-Henderson to the list

Late 30s, no kids, few dogs that they really love and walk often. He will be working in the med center area. She will be telecommuting for awhile so job location isn't an issues for her. I'm going to look at a few places for her, but I'm kind of giving the side eye to some of the places that she has found based on the map. I know Lower Greenville, Uptown, M Streets well, but not other areas and I cant tell if they are safe. So hit and miss in these areas.

How are the location of these rentals? Safety is the biggest concern. Being near stuff New Yorkers would appreciate is the 2nd. I'd say they'd be happiest in Uptown and definitely not Deep Ellum type people.

1503 McCoy St

5011 Parkland Ave

4717 Bradford Drive
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 01:39 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,643,710 times
What is their budget?

Old 05-08-2013, 02:57 PM

3,478 posts, read 6,537,940 times
1600 but probably would go to 1700-1800 for something really nice

Old 05-08-2013, 03:27 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,643,710 times
Parkland Ave. rental backs up to an apartment complex

I have been to the area near the McCoy listing, remember it was OK

Knox Henderson and M-Streets are great areas but budget might be an obstacle

What about Lakewood?

Old 05-08-2013, 03:54 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,474,005 times
(1) I love Oak Lawn, but McCoy st. is my top choice. I've walked that little neighborhood a few times and Exall Park is wonderful! I couldn't see the inside, but I would feel very safe walking alone even at night. Plus the park is great for dog owners!

Advice: Park at Exall Park walk around the neighborhood and explore. It's really nice.

(2) Bradford Drive is really nice! I have actually been in one of these units, and they did a fantastic job! The only drawback is that these used to be across the street from public housing. They tore down the projects across from it, but they still have some on the other side of Hawthorne. The city really needs to move those somewhere else.

Just drive by this one. It's gated so you can't walk up to them

(3) Parkland Ave. Is in a charming neighborhood! I love the houses back there, and you can walk to the Windmill! The overall area is still in transition. The apartments behind it are actually pretty nice, wouldn't worry about that. I would not walk north of Hudnall alone at night, but I know someone who does so it could be perfectly safe. The daytime and early evenings are fine, but the city needs to add more street lights! There are too many dark zones that can get a little spooky. Plus this house needs a little TLC.

Park in front of the Tin Room, or at the Donut shop on Maple, and walk it. Only way to know.

Last edited by RonnieinDallas; 05-08-2013 at 04:13 PM..

Old 05-08-2013, 04:26 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,208,000 times
Candy's Dirt blog has a $1600 1br penthouse rental with a killer rooftop deck @ 3225 Turtle Creek posted today. Just FYI.

Old 05-09-2013, 08:09 AM

257 posts, read 548,904 times
The McCoy St. listing is in Bryan Place, which is a very hot neighborhood for 30-somethings who want to be near the city. Exall Park is fabulous for walking/jogging/dog playtime. Be aware that Bryan Place listings typically get snatched up in a hurry, so if they want it, they need to act fast!

Bradford is nice as well. Like the neighborhood feel there, but it's not as urban. I'm not really familiar with Parkland Ave. so I'll leave that to those who know Oak Lawn better than I do. From the map, it looks like it's in an area that can be sketchy from one street to the next.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:39 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,192,158 times
From my experience - on bicycle passing through - Bryan Place seems to be a bit of an oasis in what might be a transitioning part of town.

If considering the Parkland Ave, yeah the Maple Ave area can be sketchy from any given block to the next. If interested then give the place a good look over. There is an awesome Elliott's Hardware store nearby.

Old 05-09-2013, 01:49 PM

11,827 posts, read 26,761,745 times
I could spend a fortune in Elliott's just buying cabinet drawer/door pulls...

Old 05-11-2013, 12:04 AM

291 posts, read 673,300 times
I'm a native NY'er and I would not want to live in that area by the Elliott's hardware store, especially not if it's costing me over 1000/month. As a NY'er, I preferred Oak Lawn over Uptown. The walkability was better and the apartments were newer. It seems everything in Uptown that was between 1000-1300 for a 1BR was owned by Post Properties and I'm not a fan of theirs after having lived in one of their properties for almost 2 years. They do throw great resident events though! I would also like the Knox-Henderson area, especially if walkability is not an issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas