Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 03:35 PM

3 posts, read 24,455 times

Advertisements

Good afternoon guys, I am an international student who is currently studying in dallas. I will leave this country soon and before I leave I would like to pay all of my traffic bills and tickets. My car was registered in Ohio and I forget to transfer the title after i came to Dallas. I filed the USPS's change of address forms to forward my mails but i did not know whether they forward red light camera tickets or not. I may missed some red light camera violation tickets that issued by Dallas. In addition,I found that the violation records can be checked on dallas online parking and safelight tickets payment system . It has a function to check the violation record by using the plate number. However, my car has a ohio plate therefore i am not sure whether the system works for me or not. my questions: Does the usps forward the red light camera violation tickets? Doea the dallas online parking and safelight tickets payment system works for ohio plates? Thank you so much. Have a nice weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 07:09 PM

I will really appreciate if anyone could help me. Please, it is really urgent question to me. I will go back to my home country soon. Please.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:15 PM

76 posts, read 106,240 times
Do Not Pay!!!

Tickets are not criminal like a regular traffic citation such as speeding or not wearing a seatbelt.

The red light company is an Australian owned company run out of Phoenix. The city of issuance merely gets a commission for issuing citation which is payable to a private enterprise.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delongchampsnoir View Post
Do Not Pay!!!

Tickets are not criminal like a regular traffic citation such as speeding or not wearing a seatbelt.

The red light company is an Australian owned company run out of Phoenix. The city of issuance merely gets a commission for issuing citation which is payable to a private enterprise.
Thanks for your response. Will the unpaid bill goes to the collection agency and the collection agency charge me fees and interest?

Old 05-12-2013, 08:01 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hy155809 View Post
Thanks for your response. Will the unpaid bill goes to the collection agency and the collection agency charge me fees and interest?
You won't be living in the USA anymore. I seriously doubt they would come find you in another country...

Old 05-12-2013, 09:52 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hy155809 View Post
Good afternoon guys, I am an international student who is currently studying in dallas. I will leave this country soon and before I leave I would like to pay all of my traffic bills and tickets. My car was registered in Ohio and I forget to transfer the title after i came to Dallas. I filed the USPS's change of address forms to forward my mails but i did not know whether they forward red light camera tickets or not. I may missed some red light camera violation tickets that issued by Dallas. In addition,I found that the violation records can be checked on dallas online parking and safelight tickets payment system . It has a function to check the violation record by using the plate number. However, my car has a ohio plate therefore i am not sure whether the system works for me or not. my questions: Does the usps forward the red light camera violation tickets? Doea the dallas online parking and safelight tickets payment system works for ohio plates? Thank you so much. Have a nice weekend.
USPS forwards mail. If they sent it via USPS, it's forwarded to you.

You are worrying needlessly, though. A.) You don't know if you even have tickets. B.) You will be leaving the country. C.) This is a civil matter and if...IF...they try to collect the debt, they have to find you first. If you aren't in the country and you aren't using a US SSN to obtain credit abroad, they will most likely be unable to find you to collect. D.) Even if they do find you, the expense to them of attempting to collect such a small debt from someone living overseas is likely to put them off attempting to collect. A collection agency is likely to write it off anyway.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:52 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
I'm really surprised by the responses on here from time to time. Yes it is a private company, but that does not negate the fact that if you broke the law and are requested to pay such fine that you should pay it. Just because you COULD get away with not paying doesn't mean you should. I could steal a lot of things and get away with it, it doesn't mean that I should.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:30 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bencronin04 View Post
I'm really surprised by the responses on here from time to time. Yes it is a private company, but that does not negate the fact that if you broke the law and are requested to pay such fine that you should pay it. Just because you COULD get away with not paying doesn't mean you should. I could steal a lot of things and get away with it, it doesn't mean that I should.

Tickets from red light cameras are not a police matter, they are a civil matter. Yes, running a red light is breaking the law, but a warrant won't be issued for the OP if he doesn't pay. Rather, the matter is turned over to collections. The OP doesn't have to worry about that either because even if they did stay in Texas, they'd never be arrested and the matter would not be reported to a credit bureau because state law prohibits it. So what's the downside? A few harassing calls from a bill collector? Yawn. A vehicle registration hold? I hear that's not happening all that often in Dallas or Collin Counties, despite threats to 'crack down' on 'scofflaws'. Since the OP's car isn't registered in Texas and he'll be leaving the country, a registration hold is a moot point anyway.

Fact is, the OP is trying to figure out if one is coming, not trying to avoid paying one. It's the responsibility of the private extortion enterprises who own the cameras to notify him that he has a ticket. If they haven't done that, then who cares? If one arrives after he left the country, oh well. Too bad. I'm sure it wouldn't be the first time that a foreign visitor was ticketed but the notice wasn't sent out until after the foreigner left the country.

This is seriously not even an issue. The OP should go home and not lose one second's sleep over this. These aren't real tickets. They're extortionate money grabs. And I say this as someone who has received a red light ticket. And paid it. Now that I know better, I will likely not pay if I ever receive one again. What are they going to do to me? Nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas