U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2013, 11:56 AM

161 posts, read 220,835 times

Advertisements

I am curious what the average commute time to downtown Dallas for rush hour would be from 2 areas I am trying to research.

1. Valley Ranch
2. N. Dallas/W. Richardson (From Waterview/Preston and Campbell/Arapaho areas)

If you don't mind sharing if there is an alternate route you recommend, other than Tollways, 75, 35, I'd appreciate it.

Also, if there are any other areas with a similar or less commute time AND have strong K-12 public schools, please share. This would pertain to all areas, except HP/UP.

Last edited by clickbear; 05-12-2013 at 12:08 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2013, 05:18 PM

24,571 posts, read 35,193,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clickbear View Post
I am curious what the average commute time to downtown Dallas for rush hour would be from 2 areas I am trying to research.

1. Valley Ranch
2. N. Dallas/W. Richardson (From Waterview/Preston and Campbell/Arapaho areas)

If you don't mind sharing if there is an alternate route you recommend, other than Tollways, 75, 35, I'd appreciate it.

Also, if there are any other areas with a similar or less commute time AND have strong K-12 public schools, please share. This would pertain to all areas, except HP/UP.
Nope; you're in the sweet spot for commute and schools. There are some good elementary schools in DISD but you'd have to go private probably for junior high and high school.

I live in Richardson and commute to 75/Walnut Hill every morning. I used to commute as far south as Mockingbird. I left earlier in the morning to get to Mockingbird so I was at my desk at 7:30am. Door to desk was 20 minutes. Door to desk to Walnut Hill is also 15-20 minutes, but I leave later and take Greenville south from 635 instead of 75, which is jammed solid south of LBJ by 7:45am.

Hope this helps!

Old 05-13-2013, 11:04 AM

471 posts, read 889,906 times
I do the same thing Big D Geek does. I take Greenville from Centennial to Walnut Hill and my building is right there. I leave about 7:15am and am at work no later than 7:30 every morning, usually it's about 7:25am.
In the evenings, I'll take the I-75 service Rd heading North back up to 635 and then cross over to Greenville. It always amazes me to see the traffic just sitting still on 75 as I'm going by at 40mph on the service rd. right next to it. I'd go further along the service rd. but the traffic coming out of TI can be a pain sometimes.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:36 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,760,486 times
There are certain DISD elementary/middle school combinations within the Hillcrest and W.T. White High School attendance zones which would work if you want to live to the north - both high schools offer plenty of AP courses, White has the most...to the east of downtown look at the Stonewall Jackson and Lakewood elementary attendance zones - no freeways or tollways needed...at Long Middle and Woodrow Wilson High you can take AP (22 courses) plus IB (46 courses).

Old 05-14-2013, 08:46 AM

161 posts, read 220,835 times
Thanks for the insight Lakewooder.

I have a couple of questions as it relates to DISD, mainly Long, the JH for WT White, and WT White, & Woodrow.

Can a student NOT be in the AP/IB tract at those schools and still have a stable learning environment in the classroom? I'm wondering if it is a tale of two cities within the classroom structure, expectations, disruptions, mangement, and etc. Also, do either of these campus have a considerable amount of on-campus violence or gang issues?

Old 05-14-2013, 08:48 AM

212 posts, read 362,797 times
Recently I was commuting to an area between Baylor hospital and downtown for a series of meetings that began at 9 AM. I live near Waterview and Arapaho. I took Coit to Central, Central to the downtown exit. I left between 8:15 and 8:20 to allow for a stop at the Starbucks on Coit and Beltline. I was always on time, usually with 10 minutes to spare.

Old 05-14-2013, 09:45 AM

16,092 posts, read 37,760,486 times
IB at the middle school level is a school-wide curriculum. There are certain courses that some 'smart' kids take that other don't and Long is particularly strong at languages as two sections of Mandarin are offered in addition to sign language (Stonewall, Long and Woodrow host the regional school for the deaf). The science and math teams are also very strong and do well in state-wide competition. Long is known for performing arts and its musicals and plays - the students then hone those talents at Woodrow, even more famous for such. J L Long Middle School - Home

At Woodrow the school is divided into four college prep academies and students must choose one: STEM, Business, Creative and Performing Arts or IB. However, within the three non-IB academies there are remedial, on-level, pre-AP and AP courses along with some dual-credit courses. That being said, there are core requirements for high school graduation within those. There is talk of adding another academy for Liberal Arts, but all the usual such courses are there for graduation requirements. Woodrow Wilson High School :: Home

Long and Woodrow have the high-achieving, middle, upper-middle and wealthy kids from Lakewood and Stonewall going to school with less-prepared and lower-income students from some of the other elementaries (however Lipscomb and Lee do have some of the prior). This is where it gets difficult to explain things...I would say the environment is stable and safe, but you are going to be doing more learning and less remedial things in pre-AP, AP and IB. Both AP and IB get more serious in the junior and senior years. Long and Woodrow are known for super extra-curricular opportunities with a wide variety of options and chances to develop leadership. However, some IB students have to cut back on these when they get in the upper grades.

In the opinion of most this unique mix of students from different backgrounds is one of the greatest strengths of these schools. It's very hard to quantify and if you look solely at numbers it's not going to make sense. Many on this forum have no tolerance for such a thing and immediately dismiss this - so I would say it's not for the masses it's a niche thing - but I am very happy and proud that I attended these schools. It's a real world experience and having close friends from different circumstances makes one appreciate one's own life and inspires compassion for others. This also leads to the ablity to deal with all sorts of people in life with confidence and insight.

The best way to explain this is that the Lakewood area is really like a small town (even though it's practically in the shadow of downtown) and not like a suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or