Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2014, 08:28 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,908,310 times

Advertisements

Looking to purchase a rental property soon between 150-200k cash in the next 1-2 months. My brothers friend lives in uptown and says its a really cool area to snag townhouse or condo and its great for professionals..he was saying a 2 bedroom 2 bath is great. I haven't been to the area...but the idea sounds enticing.

Another idea is to get a small single family in a desirable school district (hot area) for people like us, who moved the to area and need a year or two to figure it out. What would they look for. Safe area, good schools, commutable to freeways..etc etc. Initial thoughts came up with south frisco, allen, pisd, Coppell/irving. An agent told my husband that wylie is a great place to snag a rental/rockwall/garland...I know nothing about those areas...but it seemed far away...but he apparently just did a deal in the same price range and brokered a deal for McKinney and it rented immediately for 1500.

What are the chances of finding a nice sustainable rental. Should we try and look into a bank owned home and fix it up a bit...not for flipping but to get a good deal? Should we go with a real estate investor or should we go with a RE agent?

I will take a good referral for someone who has a specialty in searching for investment properties via PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2014, 09:45 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Do you live in DFW yet? I thought you were in the process of relocating?

The best place to buy a rental property is within a 10 minute drive of your primary residence. You'll want to be able to drive by 1-2X per week to do a visual check (yard maintained, broken sprinkler head pooling water, limbs down after storm, etc); the further away you live, the more likely there will be problems you don't know about. Then you need to look for cash flow positive properties - ones where the rental income will exceed the PITI + maintenance + any HOA dues. Usually single family homes in older but not super popular areas with at good to great schools make for good targets.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:24 AM

1,282 posts, read 3,558,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post

The best place to buy a rental property is within a 10 minute drive of your primary residence. You'll want to be able to drive by 1-2X per week to do a visual check (yard maintained, broken sprinkler head pooling water, limbs down after storm, etc); the further away you live, the more likely there will be problems you don't know about.

I think this is fantastic advice! We have a rental next to us, and the owner does not live nearby. Turns out he has a property manager who keeps up with the property, but I guess they weren't doing their job well. Many issues with the last renter and though we saw evidence of concerns, we didn't have a number to contact anybody to let them know. The renters ended up leaving in the middle of the night and left the house in a horrible state inside. We're pretty convinced something fishy was going on but it was so many subtle things you would only notice if you kept a very close eye...or lived right next door like us..lol! Anyway, the owner was completely blindsided, and the renters had been "good" up to that point...ie. paid rent on time...but he's paying for it now. They are practically having to gut the entire interior.

Old 03-22-2014, 10:32 AM

15 posts, read 37,589 times
I have a cousin who moved from NY, and he bought a house before they relocated, and rented it out until they made the move. They had the realtor check on the house every week or so and paid them $100 a month or something like that. Although it probably is ideal to live in the area first, it can be done this way also.

Old 03-22-2014, 11:29 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,306,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrina305 View Post
I have a cousin who moved from NY, and he bought a house before they relocated, and rented it out until they made the move. They had the realtor check on the house every week or so and paid them $100 a month or something like that. Although it probably is ideal to live in the area first, it can be done this way also.
Depending on the property's "math", that $100 / mo may be a large chunk of the cash flow. To me, that is more of a short term workaround (if needed) than a long-term solution. The first two years, my rental condo broke even. $100/mo would have made the property operate at a loss. Now that the in-town rental market is on fire, I make a few hundred each month. Still $100/mo is a meaningful expense I'd rather not part with.

Old 03-22-2014, 03:51 PM

15 posts, read 37,589 times
He pretty much bought the house out in cash and the rent was all profit, the $100 really was nothing. He ended up moving down and buying another house to live in and still rents out the original one.

Old 03-22-2014, 04:06 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,206,955 times
It's pretty difficult for the average person to get "a good deal" in the current market and in a desirable location.

Investors buy when the market is depressed not when it's booming and a shortage of homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas