Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 14,953 times

Advertisements

yesterday morning, as i left my house i noticed a suspicious looking car across the street from my house with 2 people sitting in it. I waited for a while but they didn't leave. i drove off and returned a few minutes later to find that the occupants were an older male and female in their late 50's who were then standing at my front door with several empty bags in their hands. my son was behind the door at the time but they never told him what they wanted when he asked. i pulled up beside them and asked what they needed and they said: "do u know anyone here who speaks spanish" i said no and then they quickly got into their car. after waiting several minutes, they then drove off. could they have possibly been casing my home or attempting to perform a robbery and when they were caught they just made up a stupid excuse? also they had only come up to my house.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:40 PM

5,872 posts, read 8,059,801 times
Probably. I would call the police ASAP next time.

Old 05-12-2013, 11:43 PM

611 posts, read 2,225,702 times
there is a good chance it was being cased.....next time get the license plate since running the plates and seeing who it comes back to is something easy that the cops are usually willing to do

what exactly did your son ask them and what did they say?

I find it odd they would watch you drive off before approaching the door and who (that speaks English) goes to a random door and ask for a Spanish speaker.....what in the hell do they need that for and where was the "person" they were trying to communicate with, but could not because they did not speak Spanish......a very odd request.....and if they were looking for someone at your house wouldn't they just ask if the person with that name or that description lived there....I mean really in Texas asking if someone that speaks Spanish lives there might only get you a 25% chance you are at the right house (or less) since the answer could easily be yes someone that speaks Spanish does live here and here let me get my house keeper, my 16yo kid that has taken Spanish classes their entire life or my grand mother that is from Mexico

and what types of bags were they.....like pillow cases or empty luggage or grocery sacks?

either way next time get the license plate and call it in and have it run because that will usually give the cops a much better idea of what is up.....the fact they watched you leave and then approached the door is suspicious enough

and no if it was just a purely random casing the fact that you made contact with them will (more than likely) send them elsewhere also the fact that you left, but someone else was still home will (more than likely) send them elsewhere....if they were looking for a specific house based on some type of information you either need to examine who you run with and share things with or they have figured out it was the wrong house and will (more than likely) go elsewhere

you need to change up some of your daily patterns, you need to do a quick sweep of the neighborhood (like driving around anywhere that can spot your house) before you drive away for good and you need to do something like get some alarm signs or other things like exterior lighting improved to let them know you in fact suspect them of something if they are still watching you specifically....and what did the cops say have there been things happening in your area

Old 05-12-2013, 11:43 PM

2 posts, read 14,953 times
i already called the cops. just because they were casing it does that necessarily mean they will break in?

Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 AM

24 posts, read 38,861 times
Are you the original owner of the home? How long have you lived there?

I ask because its possible they were looking for a Spanish speaking family to rob.

What race were the man and woman?!

Old 05-13-2013, 02:32 AM

64 posts, read 191,623 times
Italian

Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 AM

162 posts, read 317,256 times
I would of got the plate number and called the police immediately

Old 05-13-2013, 07:17 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,727,761 times
How old is your son? He should not be opening the door to strangers. Do you live in Richardson? There has been a rash of home burglaries (taking jewelry/computers) in the neighborhood around Spring Creek elementary school. Make sure your motion detectors are working and your home security system, if you have one is on.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:58 AM

2,110 posts, read 6,435,315 times
if i saw people doing that I would put a pistol in a holster and walk out to the car with the gun visible and ask them what they are doing. Once they see a armed person lives there they wont come back.

Old 05-13-2013, 08:01 AM

44,257 posts, read 64,056,257 times
Sounds like casing.
If I see anyone just sitting in a vehicle that doesn't belong around here, I call our neighborhood security and/or the police.
This is exactly how these people figure out where their opportunities are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas