Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:41 AM

28 posts, read 52,677 times

Advertisements

I am a widowed, caucasian, in my early/mid 30's, and hold a Masters degree. I have two children, ages 2 and 4. I am looking to relocate, and am open to suggestions as to exact location/area of Dallas. I made a visit a few weeks ago, and loved the Park Cities, however a small house there would be on the high end of my budget. I am used to private schools, and buying in the PC does not seem to make sense unless you take advantage of the public schools there. I also liked the Disney Streets area, but that seems super popular, so I realize finding a house there will be a challenge. If it makes a difference, I will be a cash buyer, looking to spend under 1M, and of course the lower the better. Need a 3 BR, but prefer 4. Under my current situation, I need it to be already renovated or newer. ( not looking for a fixer upper)
- I want to live in at least an upper middle class area. As I do not know many people there, I want to be able to easily meet similar people.
- While there, I visited St Monica, St Rita, and CTK schools. I loved all three. None seemed concerned about my children gaining admission, as that is still a year away, and we are practicing Catholics who can transfer membership.
-There is a possibly I will be working near the Galleria area (what is that area called?)
-Up to this point, all my research has been on true Dallas and the Park Cities. However, am I missing out on anything by not considering the northern suburbs? Which ones?
- I can swing Park Cities with public schools, or other areas and do private schools. My heart is set on privates. Opinions on this?
- For some reason Lakewood just does not jump out at me. Plus, if I work near the Galleria, it seems like a farther commute.
Open to and appreciate all comments and suggestions! Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 08:13 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times
How about Preston Hollow? It is just down the toll road from the Galleria.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:28 AM

28 posts, read 52,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DitsyD View Post
How about Preston Hollow? It is just down the toll road from the Galleria.
Yes! Isn't Disney loosely in new Preston Hollow? Do you think that area and private schools is the best option?

Old 05-15-2013, 08:41 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
You could try Preston Hollow but a lot of the real estate there costs more than what you said you want to spend.

Try the north Dallas area north of 635 along the Preston or Hillcrest corridors. Plenty of lovely neighborhoods there, and they're close enough to the Galleria to make a surface street commute very easy. Also, IIRC, St Rita is literally a stone's throw from the Galleria (it's the big church next to Jesuit on Inwood, right?).

Check out zip codes 75240 and 75248 in Dallas. If you buy in RISD instead of DISD, the local public schools are also an excellent option.

Old 05-15-2013, 08:43 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure1 View Post
Yes! Isn't Disney loosely in new Preston Hollow? Do you think that area and private schools is the best option?
I wouldn't consider that area to be Preston Hollow, no...but it seems like a lot of real estate agents think anything south of 635 bounded by 75 on the east, Northwest Highway to the south, and Webb Chapel to the west is "Preston Hollow". It isn't.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:30 AM

13,194 posts, read 28,295,536 times
Since you like the Park Cities, I would look at the neighborhoods immediately to the west of the Tollroad in 75209. Neighborhood names for sub-$1M are Devonshire, Greenway Crest, and Briarwood. They are full of young families, lots of private school kids, still feels like living in the Park Cities since its so close and uses many of the same shopping areas (Inwood Village, Lovers Lane, Snider Plaza, HP Village, etc). Very active neighborhoods, people are always out walking dogs & kiddos. Close to all the great parks in the Park Cities, although you wouldn't have access to the UP / HP pools without being a resident.

Westminster pre-school is very good & popular and right in the Devonshire neighborhood. It's also close to the other privates you mentioned.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:03 PM

92 posts, read 162,507 times
75244 is close to St. Rita's, Jesuit, Ursuline and the Galleria. Mostly 4-5 bedroom 60's and 70's ranch style home generally averaging just under 500k.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:33 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,183,047 times
Southwest Plano or Coppell will also offer you nice homes with great schools. Even some of the Gated communities in Las Colinas with your private schools.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:06 PM

19,790 posts, read 18,079,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure1 View Post
I am a widowed, caucasian, in my early/mid 30's, and hold a Masters degree. I have two children, ages 2 and 4. I am looking to relocate, and am open to suggestions as to exact location/area of Dallas. I made a visit a few weeks ago, and loved the Park Cities, however a small house there would be on the high end of my budget. I am used to private schools, and buying in the PC does not seem to make sense unless you take advantage of the public schools there. I also liked the Disney Streets area, but that seems super popular, so I realize finding a house there will be a challenge. If it makes a difference, I will be a cash buyer, looking to spend under 1M, and of course the lower the better. Need a 3 BR, but prefer 4. Under my current situation, I need it to be already renovated or newer. ( not looking for a fixer upper)
- I want to live in at least an upper middle class area. As I do not know many people there, I want to be able to easily meet similar people.
- While there, I visited St Monica, St Rita, and CTK schools. I loved all three. None seemed concerned about my children gaining admission, as that is still a year away, and we are practicing Catholics who can transfer membership.
-There is a possibly I will be working near the Galleria area (what is that area called?)
-Up to this point, all my research has been on true Dallas and the Park Cities. However, am I missing out on anything by not considering the northern suburbs? Which ones?
- I can swing Park Cities with public schools, or other areas and do private schools. My heart is set on privates. Opinions on this?
- For some reason Lakewood just does not jump out at me. Plus, if I work near the Galleria, it seems like a farther commute.
Open to and appreciate all comments and suggestions! Thank you in advance!
1. I'm very sorry that you have been widowed.
2. CTK, St. Rita and St. Monica are each fantastic schools.
3. As you are for a solo parent who will work and you may have little help with the kids IMO it's pivotal that as best you can minimize the distance between home-work-school. If you go the Catholic school route you will be at the school very often even if you can arrange carpooling. It's nuts to waste scores of hours per year needlessly especially in your situation.
4. IMO pick the school/church that you like the most and live close by. If you buy inside the box formed by Midway to the west, 635 to the north, maybe Hillcrest to the east and Northwest Highway to the south you can find a great home for between $400K and $1M. The area loosely bound by Midway, Forest, Inwood and Royal is euphemistically referred to as "Vatican Hill" because so many catholic school families live there for one example.
5. The HP/UP towns and schools vs. the greater Preston Hollow area and private schools is a tough one. HP schools are really excellent. HP/UP are exceptionally clean, pretty and safe. The homes are generally beautiful and the lots are generally tiny below the $2M range. Greater Preston Hollow is much more varied in terms of home values and the lots are generally much larger. My argument, and we nearly bought in HP a couple of years ago, is that greater PH is a much better buy. So much better that one can pay for years and years of catholic schooling with the difference. We bought a ~$1M home in PH on nearly an acre a similar place in HP/UP would be roughly double that. IMO as good as HP schools are the catholic progression is better - I am biased as my son is a Jesuit grad and my daughter is an Ursuline Bear now. The catholic school progression for each of them has been a smashing success.

Best of luck.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:09 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,162,235 times
It takes about 25 minutes to commute to the Galleria if you live in Lakewood (depending on the times, could be more or less). "Lakewood" is used rather broadly many times. It would seem to fit what you want, I'm curious if you saw only parts of the area - it is rather hard to see if you don't know where you are going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas