Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2013, 09:51 AM

281 posts, read 643,797 times

Advertisements

I have been sneezing and going crazy for a month here in Reno with my allergies. We mainly have a lot of sage and pollen. I'll be moving to Dallas in January and am wondering if it will be better, or if anyone there has the same problems? If so I may look into getting an allergy shot next year.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 09:57 AM

8,606 posts, read 14,894,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXred View Post
I have been sneezing and going crazy for a month here in Reno with my allergies. We mainly have a lot of sage and pollen. I'll be moving to Dallas in January and am wondering if it will be better, or if anyone there has the same problems? If so I may look into getting an allergy shot next year.

Thanks!
Depending on what you're allergic to, chances are your allergies will be considerably worse in Dallas. There's only a brief period between November and January where allergies aren't an issue, but from February through October you could potentially get hit in waves.

Late winter is mountain cedar season. Spring brings flower & tree pollen and grass molds. Summer-fall is ragweed season. Good luck!

Old 05-15-2013, 09:59 AM

2,353 posts, read 3,863,612 times
More like weekly shots. Lots of allergens around here. Pollen, mold, fungus, pollution, ragweed, mountain cedar, grasses...
D Magazine : Why You're Allergic to North Texas

Old 05-15-2013, 10:18 AM

2,516 posts, read 5,688,606 times
Since moving to Dallas, I've had extremely bad allergies. So much that my entire time here, I have to stay on decongestants and antihistamines, 24/7 - year around. The first few years here, I would average 4-5 sinus infections a year. My Allergist and ENT's would put me on antibiotics back then. The SI's were causing ear infections due to the constant congestion that I endure due to my allergies. The ear infections stopped responding to antibiotics and I developed cholesteatoma's (they are skin growths that are basically a type of tumor). I've had 3 of these removed in the past 5 years, 2 in my left ear, 1 in the right. I have prosthesis in both ears along with rebuilt ear canals among other things. The last tumor destroyed the bone protecting my facial nerve. I was days away from a host of serious problems. And after suffering through this last winter/spring, the titanium rods in my left ear connection my ear drum to the middle ear have now punctured my ear drum less than a year after having it redone. I am almost legally deaf in that ear and my doc will not go back in, in fear that it will deaden the ear completely. I have had 3 different allergy tests that have returned 3 completely different results, 4 different Allergists and 3 ENT's. My longest running Allergists has advised me to move from this part of the country as this area is known to have some of the worst allergens due to it's central location in the US. Something that I have been trying to do for several years now. However, because I stay congested and sick due to the pollen here, my savings continues to get depleted to pay for surgeries and other medical costs leaving me stuck in a vicious cycle.
Granted, not everyone here is in allergy hell like myself, but I do know several others who have it almost or as bad as I do. A friend of mine and her mother both have just had their 2nd sinus surgeries. They are natives unlike myself. I would highly suggest you plan a visit here and try to spend some time before moving. Keep in mind, I did not have major allergy issues prior to moving here. I have lived in 7 states and any time I leave, I am instantly better. It's nice to be able to take vacations out of north Texas and not have to pop a bunch of pills or blow my nose every few minutes. Here's hoping I can get out of here before the end of the year.

Old 05-15-2013, 10:27 AM

281 posts, read 643,797 times
Wow! Yikes! For some reason I assumed since it was more humid there would be less allergens...ughh.

I have been to Dallas in March three times and December once with no issues. Actually this is the first year I've had issues here in the spring too, usually it crops up in August.

Thanks for the link to the article, I will read it. Well, good to know moving won't instantly make my allergies go away, I guess I'll have to look into the shots! (I thought there was one you can get for a whole year of relief)?

thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas