Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-16-2013, 12:42 AM

9 posts, read 59,017 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I would be grateful for any information! I just graduated nursing school with my BSN and was offered a RN position with a big hospital in Dallas. My interview went really well and I felt like the managers liked me. The job offer I received is contingent on my background check & pre employ screening. I checked on my application that I had a misdemeanor. But I was not able to explain the details of what type of misdemeanor it was on the app bc it did not provide a box to do so.

I have a misdemeanor B for theft that occurred 9 years ago when I was 17 years old and I was able to get a deferred adjudication.

I'm scared the job offer will be taken back even though I was honest on the application about having a misdemeanor, since it is for theft.

Does anyone have any insight on this information? or know someone who was in a similar situation. Thank you all for your time.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2013, 02:20 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,059,801 times
Should be okay, especially since you disclosed it. But it is Dallas...you never know.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:51 AM

11,816 posts, read 26,657,615 times
Theft is a tough one. In order to get deferred adjudication, you had to plead no contest, which is essentially guilty. It depends on the facility where you are going to work, but at the nursing home where I used to work as HR Director, or at the hospital where I work now, you would not be hired with that on your record.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:25 AM

6,255 posts, read 16,977,052 times
I also used to work in HR. As Christie said, theft is one of the worst ones you can have on your record (even if the amount in question is small, it makes no difference as to how it shows up on the background check.) I used to work for a financial firm, and anything having to do with theft or embezzlement was an automatic no.

I'd wait it out and see. Since they offered you the job already, contingent upon your record, at the very least, you'll know that is what stopped you from being hired. If that happens, I'd hire a lawyer and get that record expunged so it no longer shows up for future searches.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:42 AM

5,872 posts, read 8,059,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I also used to work in HR. As Christie said, theft is one of the worst ones you can have on your record (even if the amount in question is small, it makes no difference as to how it shows up on the background check.) I used to work for a financial firm, and anything having to do with theft or embezzlement was an automatic no.

I'd wait it out and see. Since they offered you the job already, contingent upon your record, at the very least, you'll know that is what stopped you from being hired. If that happens, I'd hire a lawyer and get that record expunged so it no longer shows up for future searches.
great idea!

Old 05-16-2013, 09:51 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,909,979 times
You have to have fingerprints/background check to receive your nursing license. Have you not yet received your initial license? Any position you are offered will most likely include a criminal background check, as well as a drug screen. That said, I've known quite a few nurses with records of misdemeanors from DUI to assault. A felony would most definitely affect your licensure, but any other requirements are just specific to that facility. Relax! Oh--I've been an RN since 1980 .

Old 05-16-2013, 09:59 AM

15 posts, read 115,620 times
If it was deferred adjudication you can honestly answer the question that you were never convicted because you were not! You will be fine most companies only go back 5 years on the background check anyway.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post

Thank you for the advice! But since its a misdemeanor B I can't have it expunged. I can only get a non disclosure which will still show up on my background check since its for a hospital.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
You have to have fingerprints/background check to receive your nursing license. Have you not yet received your initial license? Any position you are offered will most likely include a criminal background check, as well as a drug screen. That said, I've known quite a few nurses with records of misdemeanors from DUI to assault. A felony would most definitely affect your licensure, but any other requirements are just specific to that facility. Relax! Oh--I've been an RN since 1980 .
Thank you hellpaso. I've been approved to sit for NCLEX by the board and will be taking it the first week of June.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:15 AM

216 posts, read 442,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellpaso View Post
I agree with this. It seems to me like if they were aware you had a misdemeanor from the application and still gave you an interview and said they liked you, they should have already taken that into consideration. The background check might be just to see what it was and make sure there are not any other misdemeanors or felonies you did not disclose. The State Board of Nursing seems like it would have been the bigger hurdle as far as obtaining your license.

I've researched this before for an ex that had a DWI. There are a number of nurses licensed and working with misdemeanors (and even felonies). So while I'm sure if you were up for one job against another candidate with a spotless record, you'd probably be up a creek. It's not an automatic disqualifier, though.

http://www.bon.texas.gov/disciplinar...c-analysis.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas