Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2007, 06:49 AM

438 posts, read 1,782,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
I thought she was REALLY rude. We already said "no thank you" politely. Why did she have to be so pushy? I don't like being rude to people like that, but I felt like I was forced to be.
If your theology demands you save people (even ones who don't want to be saved) then there are no restrictions on your soul-gathering activitities.

I mean, if you know you are right then how could any of your actions and decisions be wrong?

This process works nicely at both the interpersonal and foreign policy scales. Yay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2007, 08:02 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,145,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fratermus View Post
If your theology demands you save people (even ones who don't want to be saved) then there are no restrictions on your soul-gathering activitities.

I mean, if you know you are right then how could any of your actions and decisions be wrong?

This process works nicely at both the interpersonal and foreign policy scales. Yay.
So...her religion gives her the right to be a discourteous a-hole?

Old 11-03-2007, 10:00 AM

5 posts, read 64,715 times
Zeitgeist - The Movie, 2007 this link has some interesting points regarding this type of topic. Specifically the post written two posts ago. Please take the time to be open minded and view this film. or if you like skip the religious stuff by movie ahead 20 minutes and check the rest of it out. Its mind blowing.

Old 11-03-2007, 09:30 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaedpact View Post
Zeitgeist - The Movie, 2007 this link has some interesting points regarding this type of topic. Specifically the post written two posts ago. Please take the time to be open minded and view this film. or if you like skip the religious stuff by movie ahead 20 minutes and check the rest of it out. Its mind blowing.
The Trufers have landed!

Old 11-03-2007, 11:41 PM

2,935 posts, read 6,714,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
So...her religion gives her the right to be a discourteous a-hole?
Everyone has the right to be a discourteous a-hole in public.

Personally I find that leading by example is way more effective. It's just a shame that some people will judge Christianity by the actions of a few people who don't seem to understand its underlying principles.

Old 11-04-2007, 06:02 AM

1,004 posts, read 3,753,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twojciac View Post
Everyone has the right to be a discourteous a-hole in public.

Personally I find that leading by example is way more effective. It's just a shame that some people will judge Christianity by the actions of a few people who don't seem to understand its underlying principles.
I used to think the same. But this religion appears to have become a two issue ideology (anti-choice and anti-gay). It doesn't seem to be a only a "few" that present this religion in the way that ND mentioned.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:27 AM

2,256 posts, read 9,759,075 times
<<Personally I find that leading by example is way more effective.>>

I agree, not only in religion but in life.

As an aside - there is a religious channel on our cable network and on it is a show called Water of Life. What is that all about (not saying it's good or bad, interesting to say the least)? Is it broadcast from Dallas?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
actually, if there were police watching that assembly--they could probably have charged that woman with harassment if you pressed the matter--
it is one thing to offer proslytizing material on any subject matter--anti-abortion, pro-choice, pro gay/anti-gay, anti-war, pro-war, any topic that people want to picket for or against--but to persist after a person has said NO--in pretty unevivocal terms, is harassment---
that is the point that no one seems to get---

if those pickets were impeding the traffic into Jason's or any other business--that is against the law as well--
the fact that the OP and boyfriend left and went to Good Eats is a strike against those protesters--they are not supposed to infringe on Jason's right to draw customers...
I am kind of surprised that Jason's does not complain--or that people going into Jason's don't complain...or the other businesses in that area...can't be good for anyone's business...
right to free speech and assembly is guaranteed but there are also other rights just as siginificant and the right to picket in a free speech assembly does not trump other rights...
that is not the moral high ground but people seem to forget that --- being religious does not mean you are better under the law or that you have any more rights than anyone else--this is not a country run by religion--if you want that try Iran or Saudi Arabia...and see where women picketing will wind up...

Old 11-04-2007, 09:11 AM

1,067 posts, read 5,653,319 times
Quote:
Yes this is correct. If anything, she alienates everyone she meets. In my younger days I loved going clubbing. Once I had people like that putting literature in my face as I entered a dance club. I heard your going to hell if you don't repent as I walked into the club . It was so upsetting to me then and to this day find it immature and abusive that they do this. I have never liked groups like that.

I don't make any bones about my faith. I am a Christian and dedicated my life back to Christ in my 20's. In my walk, there are things I will do and things I don't do. I always make reference to this scripture too.

But when the Holy Spirit controls our lives, He will produce this kind of Fruit in us: Love, Joy, Peace, Patience, Kindness, Goodness, Faithfulness, Gentleness and Self Control. Here there is no conflict with the law. Galatians 5:22-23

Galations 5 22-23 is extermely close to my heart in regards to how we as Christians should act . . I see no good fruit of that in regards to how this lady acted.
Stirring up people like that and going out to street corners like that and telling them there going to hell, passing out the pamplet and screaming murderer isn't really how God intends to spread the word. It is not to say I would not support a ministry that is out in the streets, maybe such as soup kitchen or a place people can go to get clothing ect... when we show others his love, we do it by loving them and leading by example. We are to fed the hungry, clothe the poor in his name. To smile and love- not to cast judgement. I know they believe they are doing good, but did she? No.....

again I am sorry this has happened to you... It upsets me when I hear it too.... it just wasn't very nice even though she smiled to you and tried to play all NICE.....

Old 11-04-2007, 01:29 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,674,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
actually, if there were police watching that assembly--they could probably have charged that woman with harassment if you pressed the matter--
it is one thing to offer proslytizing material on any subject matter--anti-abortion, pro-choice, pro gay/anti-gay, anti-war, pro-war, any topic that people want to picket for or against--but to persist after a person has said NO--in pretty unevivocal terms, is harassment---
that is the point that no one seems to get---
I am not a Christian but I am pro-life and feel pretty strongly about it. I don't agree with the pushy tactics these people used. I feel pretty confident in a conversation I can lay out a case against abortion on demand and at the least give someone who supports abortion on demand reason to reconsier their position on the subject.

I am also pretty confident that if I took the tack that those protestors did, I would never be able to make my point, thereby missing an opportunity to reach someone.

I would hope though that people not do what some have done in response to this thread, which is use it as an excuse to bash Christians, Republicans, pro-lifers, etc, as a group. There are many pro-choice, anti-Iraq war, liberal/leftist, non-Christians who use equally offensive and wrong methods to make their case. Please don't paint all who you disagree with using the same wide brush.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas