Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM

5 posts, read 29,461 times

Advertisements

Looking to relocate my son in the Dallas area. We are checking out places in Irving (Valley Ranch). Wondering if it is a nice area, safe, good for young professionals. Please help! We are out of state and have no clue what any of the areas are like. He will be working in Grapevine. Open to any suggestions--cities, apartment complexes, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2013, 11:22 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times
It's a great place! But so is Grapevine.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:39 AM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,931 times
Most any place along 114, from Las Colinas to Grapevine is a good place. It's a good place for young professionals but if he's single looking for other singles then he may be fairly bored. He will find other professional friends, and families.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:47 PM

Thanks! Yes he is 22 and single. Is there not much night life in that area? He is very social and active so being outdoors is important for him. Is Irving pretty safe? We are checking into Grapevine but they seem to be pretty high for rent if he wants to be in a good area. I was warned about Mustang Drive and Dove Loop area.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:01 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,211,931 times
Rents are going to be high considering the area. And it is the big city with high demand. There will plenty of socializing opportunities in the area, mostly with co-workers in an after work - typically a Thursday or Friday nite sort of thing.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:19 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,682,176 times
Valley Ranch and Las Colinas have many young professionals but not much offering as far as nightlife. In Valley Ranch, the apartments are more like "garden apartments" and those on the west side of MacArthur are very family oriented because the schools on that side are highly desirable. Some of the larger apartment complexes near Lake Carolyn in Las Colinas (zip code 75039) have pretty active in-house social activities and parties for residents to keep a social scene at their complexes. Rents for a 1 bedroom apartment in Las Colinas generally runs $900 to $1200+/month. There are some good walking/running/biking trails in Valley Ranch around the canals and also in LC at the Campion Trails.

Uptown in Dallas is the big draw for nightlife, but that would be a pretty difficult commute to Grapevine. Irving is quite safe, especially in Las Colinas and Valley Ranch.

Old 05-21-2013, 08:51 PM

Anything for night life in Grapevine? I get the feeling it is more family oriented.

Old 05-21-2013, 10:46 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,485,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pak6669 View Post
Anything for night life in Grapevine? I get the feeling it is more family oriented.
Grapevine is really far from the action in Dallas. DT Dallas, Deep Ellum, Uptown, Oak Lawn, Knox/Henderson, Greenvile Ave, The Bishop Arts District, are the normal suggestions I make, and that's probably why your post hasn't gotten many responses. These neighborhoods are the only "good" places to find active young adults. Outside of those Dallas neighborhoods, DFW in general is very family oriented. Aside from Addison, all the burbs gear towards families. Some of the various suburban posters will disagree and name off some new development with a few bars, but Dallas is really the only good option for single people under 40.

Commuting from Dallas to Grapevine would not be fun. Your forced to decide between: Either having a long commute or risking a mediocre social life. Drinking and driving is not a good idea, and DFW sprawls way too much for you to go out and party in Dallas and try drive back to Grapevine buzzed or drunk. A taxi would be way too expensive, and again drinking and driving is very irresponsible. For this reason, I never recommend suburbs to young people. I know they like to party too much!

Old 05-21-2013, 11:29 PM

94 posts, read 204,369 times
I lived there when I was 22 and single Specifically:
1) near the Kroger at Macarthur & Kinwest in Irving/Las Colinas
2) in the Las Colinas urban center (overlooking Lake Carolyn)
3) right off East Valley Ranch Pkwy
4) just north of Grapevine Mills (Grapevine/Flower Mound border)

I felt perfectly safe in all of those locations, even as a young, single woman.

I definitely agree that there's not a lot of nightlife. I had lots of friends in the area, mostly from work, and so we would typically go to one of the restaurants/bars in the Macarthur/635 vicinity and just chill. If we really wanted to go out, we identified a designated driver and headed in to the places in Dallas already mentioned. Worked out well, but it did help having that group of friends living nearby.

There are a lot of opportunities to get outside and be active in that area. I got into triathlons when I was living in #3 above, and loved training on the extensive trail system around the canals in Valley Ranch. Nowadays, it connects in with the Campion Trail, which runs all the way to the Las Colinas urban center. There are also a lot of running races and triathlons in that area (mostly centered near the urban center), if your son is in to that kind of stuff.

Grapevine is also very nice, but I don't think it would be any better nightlife-wise.

Old 05-22-2013, 04:49 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pak6669 View Post
There are a couple of places in downtown Grapevine (Wilhoites, Back Porch, Tap In) but they tend to draw an older crowd.

Personally, I say its better to live closer to work and go out somewhere on the weekends. A lengthy commute can make you late for work occasionally, and many employers do not look highly on that, especially with a new hire!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas