Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:45 PM

12 posts, read 16,229 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzyrider View Post
4 inspections -
a) pre-pour by a structural engineer (SE). This is done just prior to pouring the foundation. Because foundation pouring is time-sensitive, your SE must be able to accomodate you in short notice (~ 24 hours)
b) post-pour by a structural engineer (SE). Ideally done once they start framing the 2nd story but can be done all the way before the sheetrock.
c) Frame, HVAC, electrical, plumbing can be done in one sitting with the inspector (not SE). This is pre-dry wall.
d) Final inspection pre-close
What is the educational background of the SE you used? Years of experience?

Is he a PE (Professional License Engineer Texas) and any other designations?

What is the Professional background of the Inspector? Years of experience?

This home is a serious investment!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 PM

Lightbulb Education Professional Background of SE and Inspector

Quote:
4 inspections -
a) pre-pour by a structural engineer (SE). This is done just prior to pouring the foundation. Because foundation pouring is time-sensitive, your SE must be able to accomodate you in short notice (~ 24 hours)
b) post-pour by a structural engineer (SE). Ideally done once they start framing the 2nd story but can be done all the way before the sheetrock.
c) Frame, HVAC, electrical, plumbing can be done in one sitting with the inspector (not SE). This is pre-dry wall.
d) Final inspection pre-close
What is the educational background of the SE you used? Years of experience?

Is he a PE (Professional License Engineer Texas) and any other designations?

What is the Professional background of the Inspector? Years of experience?

This home is a serious investment!

Old 05-24-2013, 05:39 AM

I'm fine and all the help is good! I got the info.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:14 AM

18 posts, read 30,949 times
this thread is really helpful -

friscoteam8 - please update this thread when you find a good SE and inspector. would appreciate your reference.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:24 AM

96 posts, read 194,220 times
That's why I buy good quality ready made. Life is too short to be wasted on biweekly cleaning of an under construction home.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:52 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,046 times
Pulte is a very basic builder so can't say how it works but I built my first home with Goodman and builder was on top of every step. However, I agree that buying an existing home with settled foundation and built out neighborhood is more economical, efficient and wise way to go.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:03 AM

92 posts, read 169,924 times
You can't really compare Goodman, Drees, Ventura, Huntington etc with Pulte.

Old 05-24-2013, 03:13 PM

509 posts, read 1,261,759 times
I'm glad you asked this question. Did you get any references by PM. If so would you mind sharing them by PM if necessary. Thanks.

Old 11-09-2014, 08:58 PM

11 posts, read 17,013 times
Quote:
An SE is best used for pre-pour and post-pour inspection. Since your home is already framed, pre-pour is out of question. Depending on whether sheetrock is already laid, post-pour may not produce good results. At this point you need an inspector (not SE) who can do frame, HVAC, electricals and plumbing inspection if the mechanicals are already in i.e. pre-dry wall. If dry-wall is already done then there is only pre-close inspection left to do.

It is absolutely ok to tell the builder that you want to get it done. Many are used to getting this request. Just manage the conversation without irritating the builder. Don't ramble or speak as if you are giving excuses. We got it done and I simply said that it is for my peace of mind. Just one sentence and he was ok.

Hope it helps!
Hello Frenzyrider,

We need a referral for a home inspector. Could you please private message me one?

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas