Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 08:16 AM

29 posts, read 44,418 times

Advertisements

Haven't posted in a while with the last minute details of the move....but I must say I thank you all for your help. You have helped me and my family in our search to stay within our budget and comfort level. We are looking at 3 final properties and just need a personal touch from you all. We are looking at a property in Hutchins, Duncanville and one between Sassafras & Crimnson Dr. in Dallas. The places are the right size as well as within our budget and close to areas that we will be working.

Any tips for these areas? It appears that Hutchins is a smaller town, which is fine with us and they have little to no crime within the area from all the information we have found. Any "strong" suggestions for the final 3 locales that we have selected.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2013, 08:25 AM

3,020 posts, read 8,614,065 times
You've picked two towns that would be on the very bottom of my list for places to live. Even if I worked there......no. Can you tell us the reasons you picked these two?

Old 05-27-2013, 09:06 AM

Thanks for the reply Etex2. Well, the housing is affordable for my budget and the crime in the area is very low. We are looking to rent for a year and then purchase a home in an area that we like. Since we are moving from Milwaukee, we are not looking to spend alot on housing, yet we are also looking to stay in a safe area.

Old 05-27-2013, 09:59 AM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
Of those three, I'd pick Duncanville. There you at least have a few grocery stores and other basic amenities, which Hutchins does not have. Duncanville has a population of 38,000 and Hutchins just over 5,000. I can't speak on the Dallas location. Hopefully someone else can chime in about that area.

You stated that you were renting. What is your desired price range? How many bedrooms do you need? Knowing this will help us help you better. There are other, more popular options in the southern suburbs as well.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:05 AM

Thanks Acntx. We are looking to stay at 1100/month and under for a 3 BR single family home. All suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:49 AM

1,190 posts, read 2,635,398 times
Do you need schools? If so, I would choose Duncanville. I am not sure about crime, but Wilmer-Hutchins schools were all over the news a few years ago and closed their district. The local high school is now a part of DISD. A friend's wife teaches middle school in the other area you mention and she has nothing good to say. She has dealt with more discipline issues in one year than my sister's 20 year career. I think Duncanville is the way to go of the choices you offered.

Good luck with your move.

Old 05-27-2013, 01:03 PM

19 posts, read 48,904 times
As someone already mentioned, but I must reiterate because of how important it is:

The Wilmer-Hutchins school district was so bad, they gave it to the Dallas School District (DISD). DISD has some great schools, but when moving all your students to DISD is an overall step-up in the world, there are some serious issues with your town.

Given your 3 choices, I too must toss a vote for Ducanville. The Dallas location you cited does not have a lot of upside potential I think (Just south of I20 and between I45 and 147 from what I can tell). I think Ducanville will give you more options in the long-term and short-term.

I am a little surprised you can't get another 3BR for $1,100 elsewhere in the metroplex. Are you trying to stay close to a particular area for work?

Old 05-27-2013, 02:59 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,104,736 times
milwaukeemarshall,

I just sent you a direct message with additional information.

Hope it helps.

Old 05-27-2013, 03:25 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
Personally, I find it hard to believe that the crime rate in Hutchins is low...

I agree with everyone else that Duncanville is a much, much better place to live.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:22 PM

6,819 posts, read 14,029,650 times
Were is your job located. I think you can do better based on your housing budget. Need a little more information in order to offer you solid advice.

Reggie
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas