U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 12:52 PM

476 posts, read 941,099 times

Advertisements

I'm in the process of planning several trips/vacations and am wondering which airport I should use? I'm fairly new to the area and live in Richardson. I've flown into Love Field many times while living in Nola to visit relatives and like that airport b/c it's small and seems much less chaotic than what I imagine DFW to be like. I've never flown out of DFW before.

Which one is closest to Richardson? I'm guessing it's Lovefield, but I may be wrong. I do mainly fly Southwest, but am not opposed to any other airline. I also just learned about the Wright Amendment and discovered why there are no direct flights from Lovefield to the places I'm planning on going.

Which one is most easily accessible and convenient? We'd probably be having someone drop us off and pick us up and I'd rather not inconvenience them too much.

Anything else that would make me choose one over the other? Being from Nola, we had one airport and that was it, so choosing is new to me
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 01:11 PM

974 posts, read 2,008,207 times
A lot depends on your favorite airline, connections, etc.
Love Field is the only choice if you're doing Southwest. It's pretty convenient and I think they've just about finished up their roadwork to make in / out faster. If you have to park overnight, the parking is convenient and cost less than terminal parking at DFW. Of course at DFW you have long-term parking which is a good rate but you have to ride the bus to terminal.

If someone drops you off at DFW, they have to pay a Toll-Access to the terminal. It's like $2 or so I think.

But I'll say this: even though DFW is a big airport, it's pretty easy to navigate once you get your bearings... I'd go to their website and print out a layout or send it to your family/friends who aren't familiar with it.

Good luck.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:19 PM

24,567 posts, read 36,815,285 times
Wright Amendment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Details of the repeal compromise.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:41 PM

13,390 posts, read 23,371,796 times
It depends on where you are flying.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:44 PM

1,190 posts, read 2,372,749 times
DFW is a little farther and a little bigger, but I would rather a direct flight so we deal with it. Like someone else said, it really isn't hard to navigate DFW if you pay attention to the signs.

Old 05-28-2013, 01:57 PM

13,390 posts, read 23,371,796 times
Love Field is hard to get to if you live outside of 635. DFW is accessable from most major freeways in the Metroplex. I find DFW much more user friendly for those outside 635.

Old 05-28-2013, 03:30 PM

6,848 posts, read 10,954,133 times
There are many variables for you to consider when choosing, i.e., your airline preference, your destination, your return flight options, connections you're willing to make and comparative flight cost.

While Love Field would be closer for you (straight south down Dallas Tollway from 635), it may not be the most efficient or cost-effective for you in the long run.

As has been stated,
DFW is really easy to navigate once you become familiar with it, so do visit the DFW guide site first as previously suggested to get the layout of the entrances/exits, terminals, parking lots/different cost for each, etc.

Then I'd suggest you pay a visit to
DFW and its Founder's Plaza where you can watch the flights take off and land. You might also like to visit AA's C.R. Smith Museum that's located three miles from the south end of the airport.

Happy Traveling!

Old 05-28-2013, 03:43 PM

19,858 posts, read 61,721,455 times
DFW is way ahead of ATL's Hartfield or Chi's O'Hare if those are your comparison's. Each gate cluster has its own security and it mives much quicker than Moisant where there is one long line.

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:11 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,700,392 times
While DFW has just begun renovating its terminals which will take quite some time, Love Field has already opened and is nearly finished with its completely new concourse and renovated main terminal. Also, very soon (in about a year or so), DFW's advantage as far as nonstop flights to various cities will be reduced (but not completely eliminated by a long shot) after the Wright Amendment sunsets.

Old 05-28-2013, 04:14 PM

12,690 posts, read 25,056,989 times
DFW offers many more airline choices, destination choices, and direct flights. I always fly direct if it's an option - too many chances to have issues with layovers (weather, missed connections, additional delays, etc) not to mention the annoyance of making a 2.5 hour flight to, say Chicago or Cancun, a 5-6 hour ordeal.

Love Field is great if you want a quick & cheap trip to New Orleans, New Mexico, Houston, etc - any of the direct routes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas