Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2013, 01:33 PM

82 posts, read 332,982 times

Advertisements

We moved into a new construction home in West Plano and our warranty expires in June. Is a One year home inspection worth it? Your thoughts?

Also we have noticed black ants/farms outside our home. In the past three weeks they have infested us on the inside. I found them on our stove this morning...tons of them! We have found them in several different places. Will an exterminator help? I've never had an ant problem in my life but this is really insane. This is our first home in TX so not for sure about the best solution to this problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2013, 02:23 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,176,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygirlintx View Post
We moved into a new construction home in West Plano and our warranty expires in June. Is a One year home inspection worth it? Your thoughts?

Also we have noticed black ants/farms outside our home. In the past three weeks they have infested us on the inside. I found them on our stove this morning...tons of them! We have found them in several different places. Will an exterminator help? I've never had an ant problem in my life but this is really insane. This is our first home in TX so not for sure about the best solution to this problem.
For the ant problem go to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy the spray that is in a jug with a handle and spray the entire perimeter of your house. We do this every 3 months or so and never have any ants or spiders in the house (it usually works for several types of bugs). While there, also buy some granules that will kill the ants and go around and sprinkle it on all of the mounds. They might be popping up because we've had some good rain lately.

I don't know what to recommend to get rid of the ones on the inside because we have pets and I'm really weary of using stuff in the house, especially in the kitchen.

Old 05-31-2013, 02:59 PM

277 posts, read 678,677 times
With the one year inspection, I believe it was worth it before my 1yr warranty ended on my previous home. My inspector found a couple of non-major issues that that builder was quickly to resolve. For instance, the inspector reported that my AC units were not cold enough and it was low on freon. I opened a warranty request for warm AC and it was fixed and tuned-up. The builder pretty much used the inspection report to fix any issues the inspector found. Other issues like the grading on my backyard wasn't ideal and the inspector noted that. The builder resolved it by re-grading my backyard and making it right. I was able to get some new grass too where it was spotty. You need to make the appointment now with the inspection because inspectors are booked and your warranty date is coming up soon. Good luck.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:10 PM

477 posts, read 1,052,018 times
I had some mounds in the front yard and noticed them crawling on the wooden gate in the fence. I bought Suspend and sprayed all around the perimeter of the house and inside the house(it's certified safe to use in food preparation areas and doesn't have an odor). A day or 2 later, no more ants or any bugs at all for that matter. Suspend really works well and gets great reviews. It's what the pros use and isn't particularly cheap. I paid about $35 for a bottle on Amazon, but you only use at most 1oz of the stuff to a gallon of water, so even though the bottle is small, it should last a few years at least and $35 is much cheaper than what a pest professional would charge. It is recommended to be sprayed every 3 months. I couldn't be happier with it.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:35 PM

2,825 posts, read 4,464,022 times
Sorry to thread jack, but what does everyone recommend for spraying around the perimeter of the house for pests that you can pick up at your local Lowes/Home Depot.

Old 05-31-2013, 03:37 PM

277 posts, read 678,677 times
Ortho Home Home Defense Max has been good for me. I use the spray model with built in hand pump.

Old 05-31-2013, 06:23 PM

409 posts, read 873,891 times
Ants have been driving me up a wall lately. The ground near my house is just crawling with them and they all want to come inside. Sprays only work very short term, at least for me. I recently tried using ant bait around the outside of the house and now I don't see all of those ants.

I suggest spraying cracks and around windows and doors and the bait all around the outside of your house.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:43 AM

94 posts, read 285,179 times
Default home inspection / ants

The warranty home inspection will likely save you much more money in repairs by having the builder make repairs than the cost of the home inspection. Especially if you didn't get a home inspection prior to moving in. Plus you will have a report you can reference later on. Just make sure you use a home inspector that has good reviews - google,yelp, angie's etc.

There is a product called Max Force quantum ant bait that worked great for me. I found where the ants were coming in around the door and after 1 day of treatment no more ants. They eat and take it back to the colony and kills 'em all. I'm not sure if you can get it at the big box stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: