Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2013, 09:29 AM

29 posts, read 37,443 times

Advertisements

As I can see, there are very legit-sounding reasons for the master down.
However I think the real reason is we are all lazy!! In a culture of delivery anything, drive-through anywhere, and remote controls available for every device imaginable...who the heck would want to climb STAIRS more times than necessary?? I'm exhausted just thinking about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2013, 10:05 AM

120 posts, read 220,536 times
Both masters have their pros and cons. Every family should pick what's more functional for them. DFW conformists may consider master down, brick exterior, back alley, huge media room, granite counters as the only way but now DFW demographics are diverse and eventually builders will receive this memo.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:20 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,828,840 times
I wonder how much peoples' preference has to do with what type of house layout you grew up in.

I spent most of my years before age 18 in ranch style houses - obviously with masters on the ground floor - with about 5 years in the middle where we had a two story home with all bedrooms upstairs.

For whatever reason, I prefer having the master on the ground floor. I can't really pin down exactly why, but maybe it's because that is what I am used to.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:30 AM

120 posts, read 220,536 times
A friend was talked into buying master down with no other bed downstairs. Soon they started their family, cursed going up and down all night, two years later toddler opened the safety door and had a fracture after a fall. Whenever his parents or in laws visited, they had to give up their room as oldies didn't want to climb stairs. They really hated their realtor with passion. As most people do, they sold their first house to get an upgraded one and never reeked the so called benefits of a master down. Master up or ranch is a functional choice for young families.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,130,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyanger View Post
I wonder how much peoples' preference has to do with what type of house layout you grew up in.

I spent most of my years before age 18 in ranch style houses - obviously with masters on the ground floor - with about 5 years in the middle where we had a two story home with all bedrooms upstairs.

For whatever reason, I prefer having the master on the ground floor. I can't really pin down exactly why, but maybe it's because that is what I am used to.
Good point, and I think for some people it matters a lot.

I grew up in a pier and beam traditional one-story ranch house, and that is exactly what I own now.

Old 06-13-2013, 11:41 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,440,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex View Post
OMG - that thing looks like it was made from Jabba the Hutt's skin! YUCK!
Good ol Dallas pretentiousness! Bless your heart!

Old 06-13-2013, 01:12 PM

16 posts, read 25,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG99 View Post
If you have a 1000sf media room and three air conditioners you probably dont have many money problems and saving the relatively small amount of air conditioner running cost shouldnt be a big deal.
LOL

Believe me I don't have enough money to just waste if I can help it! The 1,000 sq ft includes a game room and a media room (separate rooms next to each other sharing the same AC unit). I couldn't imagine a 1,000 sq ft media room .

The savings is quite significant. I have a friend who has a similar size home from the same builder in the neighborhood with bedrooms upstairs. Family is home most of the day so they run the upstairs AC all the time. His bills in the Summer can approach $500+. My most expensive electricity bill was $290 in the summer. Over a few months that adds up. The main difference is I don't run my upstairs AC unless we go up there and in the Texas summer that saves a lot. I also don't have any vaulted ceilings so the upstairs acts as an insulation barrier buffer to downstairs which keeps things a bit cooler.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:33 PM

170 posts, read 372,241 times
That doesn't support master down argument, most people have secondary bedrooms on upper level for kids so you have to use air conditioning on both levels. Yours sound like 1.5 story.

Old 06-13-2013, 01:55 PM

2,110 posts, read 6,441,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi cake View Post
That doesn't support master down argument, most people have secondary bedrooms on upper level for kids so you have to use air conditioning on both levels. Yours sound like 1.5 story.

Yeah my house has an option for a game room/media room and half bathroom upstairs. It only adds 400 square ft though. I didnt get it though because it was too much money that I didnt want to spend and I like having a one story home.

Old 06-13-2013, 03:32 PM

16 posts, read 25,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushi cake View Post
It's closer to a 1.5 story than a 2 but I do have a full bathroom and bedroom up there as well. I think it adds another couple hundred sq ft. The difference is it's for guest so it's not for everyday use which provides flexibility to not always having to cool it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas