Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 02:32 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockDad View Post

I have no problem with using the numbers, the problem is that you cherry pick numbers like a champ. If someone brings up that Woodrow's average SAT score stinks, you ignore the fact and point out that the white kids do well compared to other white kids.

If you make a blanket statement that East Dallas is affluent, and someone says you are wrong, you support that statement by cherry picking zones and then using a certain random number to support your statement. For example, rather than using the average or median HHI for your numbers, you used the total number of people having an income over 200k without saying if the total number of people between Coppel ISD and your cherry picked zone is the same. Hate to break it to you, but affluence or wealth is generally determined not be the overall highest earners in the community, but by the average or median numbers in the community.
My original statement was that OP would have no trouble finding affluent families in east Dallas to use her tutoring services. Averages have no bearing on absolute numbers and I stand by my statement.

I love data, I love sharing it. I'm sorry you find bias in information.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:41 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,297,484 times
What you said you said:

[quote=Considering Coming Back;29959498]My original statement was that OP would have no trouble finding affluent families in east Dallas to use her tutoring services. Averages have no bearing on absolute numbers and I stand by my statement.

What you really said:

OP is interested in east Dallas, those families are every bit as affluent and motivated as any suburb.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:45 PM

743 posts, read 1,320,170 times
[quote=HockDad;29959645]What you said you said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post
My original statement was that OP would have no trouble finding affluent families in east Dallas to use her tutoring services. Averages have no bearing on absolute numbers and I stand by my statement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Considering Coming Back View Post

What you really said:

OP is interested in east Dallas, those families are every bit as affluent and motivated as any suburb.
Those are the same...

I don't know if you're just into trolling me or Lakewood/east Dallas in general, but it's pretty tiresome. Any reasonable person can see there are lots of wealthy people in the neighborhood. You and ChrisiteP can stay in the burbs, no skin off my nose.

Old 06-10-2013, 02:59 PM

1,212 posts, read 2,297,484 times
I limit my posts, generally, to schools. Don't flatter yourself that I would troll your posts.

Second, I don't live in the burbs, but right in the heart of Dallas.

I want people to know the truth about schools and get the best education for their children. My posts, are at times, critical of DISD and its supporters.

Old 06-10-2013, 03:56 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
Unsubscribing from this thread. It's become a tiresome, p***ing contest and long ago stopped being helpful to the OP.....who has obviously bowed out.

Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 AM

16,087 posts, read 41,145,727 times
Quote:

I agree with what you are saying, but Coming Back Home posted that East Dallas is as affluent as the burbs. There are certainly some nice houses, and plenty of money in Lakewood, but my goodness, WW or Lake Highlands are nowhere as affluent as most of the suburbs that are discussed on this board.

Lakewood might have plenty of quiet millionaires, but it also has a large percentage of its kids on the Free Lunch Program. I have not looked at the numbers, but I seriously doubt that any of the burbs generally discussed on this board (Plano, Frisco, Coppell, Southlake, HP), have those kinds of numbers.

Lakewood is a nice area, but don't post absolute crap (Like East Dallas is as an affluent area as the burbs) and then don't expect to be called on it. The OP deserves to know the truth.
Crap? Well, I will try to ignore your vitriol and the reasons you have to direct it at East Dallas. There are plenty of wealthy people in East Dallas/Lakewood. I would say most of them are not dependent on a job or a paycheck. As I said, you can not usually tell the amount of net worth by looking at a house or even the income figures in an area where people try to hide, not show off their wealth.

But if you do look at home prices you will see that Lakewood Proper is in the top five in the metroplex in cost. A million dollars is pretty much the new standard for a traditional Lakewood mansion or new-build. Many times these are cash sales. And yes some of those people send their kids to public schools with all those poor people that some here disdain!

Old 07-08-2013, 06:47 PM

13 posts, read 24,594 times
Hi folks - Thank you so much for your responses! I'm sorry to have been absent since posting; my husband and I visited the Dallas area for a week, came back and focused on selling our home (is now in contract), and took a family vacation. (Squirl - I did not bow out due to the lively arguments regarding the values of people with and without money or the discussion about the abilities or interest of parents of students in low income areas to acquire tutoring for their children; I have taught high school in an urban setting for 7 years and thoroughly enjoyed reading these perspectives).

Our trip to see Dallas (and the traffic!!) coupled with the responses regarding a tough commute from East Dallas to Lewisville did lead our search north of Lewisville. We are now considering Grapevine, Corinth, Highland Village, Shady Shores, Hickory Creek, even Denton. I'm making a new post regarding these areas this evening - please follow me and post there if you have anything to share.

Many thanks!

Old 07-09-2013, 07:20 AM

551 posts, read 1,098,083 times
You might want to consider going the other direction and check out Denton. I'm sure you could find an older home there. It's more of it's own town too so you wouldn't have that suburby feel. More of a college town. I think the old-town area is pretty walk-able.

Old 07-09-2013, 07:34 AM

551 posts, read 1,098,083 times
Quote:

I agree with what you are saying, but Coming Back Home posted that East Dallas is as affluent as the burbs. There are certainly some nice houses, and plenty of money in Lakewood, but my goodness, WW or Lake Highlands are nowhere as affluent as most of the suburbs that are discussed on this board.

Lakewood might have plenty of quiet millionaires, but it also has a large percentage of its kids on the Free Lunch Program. I have not looked at the numbers, but I seriously doubt that any of the burbs generally discussed on this board (Plano, Frisco, Coppell, Southlake, HP), have those kinds of numbers.

Lakewood is a nice area, but don't post absolute crap (Like East Dallas is as an affluent area as the burbs) and then don't expect to be called on it. The OP deserves to know the truth.
This is just way wrong. Sure their are bigger houses in the burbs but that does not translate into wealth. 500k buys you a very nice 4 bedroom 3000+ sqft house in Plano and a McManson in Frisco. It barely gets you in the door on a 3 bed1900 sq ft house in Lakewood. Not to mention everyone is sending their kids to private schools. Most people move to the burbs because they can't afford the same standard of living they can out there in town.

Mod: As a result of a visit to DFW, the OP has begun a new thread. This thread has turned argumentative and is now closed.

Last edited by Willsson; 07-09-2013 at 04:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas