U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 03:31 PM

2,885 posts, read 4,078,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funtastic44 View Post
TAKS Data?
The "%age Met" and "%age Commended" numbers that are put out on the AEIS annual school report cards. Take it with the appropriate grain of salt.

In fact, I'd take it with a huge grain of salt. I got around to checking the SAT averages for the classes from 2002 thru 2010 for Frisco ISD and Plano ISD, and they've been remarkably consistent: Frisco's SATs have averaged 93 points lower throughout that time (with the difference between 90 and 99 in 6 of the 9 years) and that's with considerably HIGHER percentage of Plano students taking the SAT. About the only thing one can say is that the "participation rate" gap has narrowed in the last few years, to under 10% from over 20% earlier in that decade.

So, if Frisco is "improving", the numbers aren't showing it, even though the total graduating class has increased from 310 in 2002 to 1364 in 2010. Maybe NOW Frisco is beginning to step up and is on the verge...but I wouldn't be holding my breath.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 03:32 PM

794 posts, read 1,492,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
I can KIND OF understand why Frisco underperforms Plano; the emphasis on small schools plus the constant rezoning that comes with this approach probably prevents Frisco schools building a "critical mass" of the NMSFs that we see in Plano. Allen on the other hand, I dont get at all. They have one school for the whole city. Twice as big as the Plano schools, very affluent probably more so than Plano, yet that schools performance stinks when talking about the top students. That school district should get more criticism than Frisco or McKinney imo.
It is hard to understand why a small, almost built out, affluent and educated town can't fix its school system. I agree that east side is not as valueable and overall sense of affluence is a bit inflated due to more affordable housing but still resources are pretty good to work with.

Old 06-12-2013, 04:07 PM

2,448 posts, read 2,987,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GripeWater View Post
It is hard to understand why a small, almost built out, affluent and educated town can't fix its school system. I agree that east side is not as valueable and overall sense of affluence is a bit inflated due to more affordable housing but still resources are pretty good to work with.

To me, this is why Allen gets so many brickbats about the stadium. When that massive high school cannot produce even 10 NMSF scholars, surely the powers that be should be focused on that rather than football? If Plano wanted to build a multi million dollar stadium I personally wouldnt have anything to say as they have consistently produced top academic scholars. Allen, not so much. I guess it's all a matter of perception.

Old 06-12-2013, 06:08 PM

276 posts, read 469,869 times
May be they are not aiming for academic excellence, after all there is more money in football. May be their next big project is to get a recording studio and train children to compete in "Toddlers & Tiaras". This is an era of athletes and celebrities.

Old 10-20-2016, 07:37 PM

2,451 posts, read 2,091,008 times
I see this thread was originally started in 2013. I wonder if they would still pick Frisco ISD today...

Old 10-20-2016, 07:55 PM

88 posts, read 98,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mentallect View Post
I see this thread was originally started in 2013. I wonder if they would still pick Frisco ISD today...
Of course they would. Same excuses as they had 3 years ago.

Decent schools, but always trying to convince themselves they are the best.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:19 PM

3,682 posts, read 2,919,096 times
I understand lure of small schools but I wouldn't buy in Frisco ISD. Imho they just used this fantasy model to attract real estate buyers & investors to an exurb that had nothing else to offer but cheap land.

In long term a district of Frisco's size and demographics simply can't afford expenses to run hundreds of buildings scattered all over the town without high property taxes. Just maintainance of infrastructure and administrative costs are going to break the bank.

Old 10-20-2016, 09:43 PM

3,633 posts, read 7,697,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnfairPark View Post
I understand lure of small schools but I wouldn't buy in Frisco ISD. Imho they just used this fantasy model to attract real estate buyers & investors to an exurb that had nothing else to offer but cheap land.

In long term a district of Frisco's size and demographics simply can't afford expenses to run hundreds of buildings scattered all over the town without high property taxes. Just maintainance of infrastructure and administrative costs are going to break the bank.
They can't. As evidenced by them postponing opening newly built schools.

Old 10-21-2016, 10:02 AM

876 posts, read 2,093,364 times
Different people have different criteria, the only thing for me that has "moved the needle" since 2013 is the new GT elementary school in Allen ISD. Most of the differences are going to be based on the teacher, not the school district. There are definitely good and bad teachers are all different schools, but the only constant is that nowadays they seem to be teaching toward the bottom. If my child gets a good teacher that cares and actually tries to teach it's going to be better than one that ignores the students to play on her (or his) cell phone.

The "good" schools have test scores driven by their parents providing outside enrichment, and likely serious stinkers "immigrant" parents who have 8,9,10,11,12, etc. year old kids born in America that can't string two sentences together in English (and probably their parents' native language). The teacher will ignore those 8 GT kids' needs to make sure that 1 kid gets extra help for their STAAR test. The teacher will notice the advanced kids and make them spend their time in class teaching the kids that don't care, etc.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:28 AM

341 posts, read 277,176 times
In addition to new completely GT Elementary school (middle, high school extension happens soon), there is also a totally dedicated STEAM Academy coming up in a very good location in Allen.

Overall if I see,

(1) Many of the elementary schools, especially on west side has higher scores on standard tests on various lists, 10/10 on great schools etc.
(2) Erekson and Curtis are also 10/10 good schools with all options available to students. Lowery Freshman Center is completely being renovated.
(3) Allen High - gets a bad rep, no over publicity. But if you really look at it, it has ALL the facilities that are needed for a successful education - qualified teachers, excellent labs, infrastructure, super good stadium, basket ball & tennis courts, performing arts center & auditorium (many music awards), excellent canteens & buildings etc. Just go and compare these facilities with other comparable schools for yourself. In one way huge setting helps the students and prepare for outside world if all the options are used properly.

(4) And now the new STEAM academy.You can go through this link for more information. There is also an IB program.
http://www.allenisd.org/site/default...upMonth=6&Tag=

This year 23 students selected for NMSF. Which is a good sign and hope it continues to go in the right direction.

Overall I feel it is well balanced environment, not too high or too low on any one specific area. Each student and parent have all the choices and are free to pursue anything they want with all the support/infrastructure in place. Not like a pressure cooker environment where the focus is ONLY on the scores/tests all the time. If anyone's goal is academics, there is no stopping as well.

Then again, everyone will have their own individual opinions, experiences and preferences.

Last edited by DFWUser1; 10-21-2016 at 12:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas