Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 PM

28 posts, read 34,776 times

Advertisements

Looking at the maps I found these names:

Balch Springs, TX
Seagoville, TX
Rowlett, TX
Garland, TX
Dallas, TX

Highland Park, TX
University Park, TX
Rockwall, TX
Sachse, TX
Richardson, TX

Lancaster, TX
Wylie, TX
Plano, TX
Terrell, TX
Addison, TX

It said that all of these cities are within 20 miles of Mesquite which is the area of my husbands potential jobsite. How is the travel commute? Are any of these cities suitable for around $800/month rental, 3 bedroom homes (not mobile homes)we need to avoid due to crime? We are a mixed family of 4- a 6 year old and 5 month old. I am trying to narrow down my search as much as possible since we are trying to visit in early September or late August for a few days! For example, I'm pretty sure Highland Park is pretty much out of the question- I looked on Craigslist and I saw the rentals ranged from $2500/month and up!! But what about the others?

Last edited by Stuck Here; 06-11-2013 at 02:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2013, 02:27 PM

257 posts, read 550,024 times
Highland Park and University Park are going to be way out of your budget, so I would strike those from the list.

Plano and Addison are going to be a pretty rough commute to Mesquite because they will involve parts of 635, which are perpetually under construction and generally prone to traffic back-ups. My general rule is: avoid 635 at all costs.

Garland and Richardson (and surrounding areas, like Sachse, Rowlett, Wylie) are probably your best bets in terms of manageable commute and decent schools for your kids. However, you're going to have a pretty tough time finding a 3br house to rent for $800 in any of those areas. Same thing for parts of East Dallas.

You can probably find something within that budget in Seagoville or Balch Springs, but I'm not sure about the schools in that area. I believe they feed into Mesquite, which is a little hit-or-miss.

You might consider Forney -- closer than Terrell, with decent schools.

Old 06-11-2013, 03:05 PM

6,799 posts, read 14,021,576 times
Your budget is going to limit the places you can live. Any 3 bedroom rental for $800 is going to be in a non-desirable area. Mesquite is one of the most affordable areas in DFW so I would start me search right there.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:24 PM

1,637 posts, read 4,103,634 times
Definitely agree with everyone else that finding a 3 bedroom rental at that price will be extremely difficult and with your stated criteria, nearly impossible. What about apartments? You might have better luck locating an apartment unit or townhouse for that price.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:30 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
The best bet for you would be Rowlett as far as schools and commute. But budget will be a big issue.

Old 06-11-2013, 05:31 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,858,186 times
Seagoville and Balch Springs are some of the worst DISD schools. Seagoville ISD was so bad that the State made DISD take it over, and it never got any better...

Honestly, Mesquite and Garland really will be your best bets.

Old 06-11-2013, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acntx View Post
Definitely agree with everyone else that finding a 3 bedroom rental at that price will be extremely difficult and with your stated criteria, nearly impossible. What about apartments? You might have better luck locating an apartment unit or townhouse for that price.

I prefer a house so that we can have a yard for the kids to play in. We have always lived in a duplex and we just really want a house. We might be able to stretch up to $1000/mth for rent prices. Are those areas still within that budget or are there others that I can include for up to that rent range?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:38 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,680,864 times
Look on zillow.com or padmapper.com in Rowlett, garland and Mesquite. I actually see a 3/1.5 bath house for $995 on Padmapper in Forney -- Forney would be an ok choice for Mesquite. There are some scams so if it's a really pretty house with a low rent be very cautious. Garland and Mesquite have some pretty sketchy areas, so also be cautious. I would avoid Balch Springs and Pleasant Grove. Each probably has nice areas but those areas have some crime rates that are bad.
You may find something in Terrell, Tx. or Lancaster, TX each about a 20 miles from Mesquite and might have some rentals that are a bit lower. Terrell is west, so the drive in should be a bit better than Lancaster, but Lancaster should be an ok drive; each is a large enough town to have the usual chain restaurants and grocery stores.

Again, I would focus in this order (because combination of schools & commute): Rowlett, Garland, Mesquite, Forney, Terrell, Lancaster. But, in your case, I think budget will be the most compelling driver of your decision making.

Last edited by Squirl; 06-12-2013 at 07:06 AM..

Old 06-12-2013, 11:57 AM

6,799 posts, read 14,021,576 times
I believe you can find a nice home to rent for 1k in Mesquite. Take a look at the Creek Crossing area. There are quite a few nice homes that would be in your budget.

Old 06-12-2013, 01:31 PM

How about crime rates in these areas? Any of them a definite "no" just based on that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas