Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM

21 posts, read 48,205 times

Advertisements

Hello- we are relocating to the Plano area and really have enjoyed the russell creek area- online- coming in this week to look at homes and I notice how well ranked Skaggs, Andrew and a few others are, and I also notice that the demographics are 50% or more asian. On another school ranking website, the comments from a few people say something to the affect of " be aware of the culture challenges and being left out on your childrens' part if they are not asian". Can anyone speak to this- how big of an issue is that and what does that actually mean in reality. Thank you very much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 05:05 PM

276 posts, read 528,640 times
Please don't believe everything you read on Internet.

Old 06-12-2013, 05:15 PM

21 posts, read 48,205 times
If you don't think there are different cultures in various demographics then I can only hazard a guess you haven't traveled much?

Old 06-12-2013, 07:18 PM

1,007 posts, read 2,460,702 times
I think these days more kids are left out because there are many two income households where both parents are working, and then the keeping up with the Joneses mentality of excessive activities.

I'm half-Asian (who mainly grew up in the USA) and my daughters are 3/4 Asian. My oldest daughter (6) has friends of various races and deal with others as individuals. However, she is not really accepted in group situations. Lots of Asians want to hang only with their own ethnic groups, and the parents will socialize more based on their peer groups and ignore their kids' peer groups.

That being said, there are plenty of nice people around of various different Asian & non-Asian ethnicities, ... and sometimes it's just chance, being on the right street, or being outgoing to introduce yourself to your neighbors when you are out and about.

Old 06-13-2013, 06:54 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,462,644 times
I worked at Skaggs for a few years and I will give you some insight to what I noticed. It was one of the most diverse places I had seen in quite some time, which is not necessarily a bad thing at all. Also the number you pulled of "Asians" does not equate to east Asians. There is a high number of Indian students, and it was quite remarkable to see a school where such a large majority of the student body was actually excited to be at school. Parents are extremely involved and they have a very strong PTA(although sometimes a little overbearing...lol). I grew up in the HPISD system and thought that would be the only place I would feel comfortable sending my children, but after working at Skaggs my mind was completely changed. If I could only get over my suburban hate-rid I would pick up and move to the Skaggs area in a heart beat. They also made a principal change a few years ago and I've only hear nothing but great praise for the new one.

Old 06-13-2013, 10:17 AM

120 posts, read 221,289 times
I do know some Asians who bought on west side instead as they wanted their kids to have a more diverse pool of peers. Their words were, " We left Asia so our kids can have exposure to a multicultural environment and keeping them in Russell Creek wouldn't accheive that."

Old 06-14-2013, 05:14 AM

299 posts, read 1,153,251 times
I am married to a Filipina and we have a son and daughter both born in the Philippines, they American Citizens, speak excellent English and Tagalog.

When we move it will most likely be to either Plano, Allen, Coppell or a city close by. They are presently working for their PharmD degree, here in the Philippines, and will need to complete 1,500 hr. of internship. We have been told that speaking fluent Tagalog will be a positive asset, please advise us. I also understand there are some Filipino grocery stores, is this true?

Last edited by macsret; 06-14-2013 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: Correct Font Size

Old 06-14-2013, 08:19 AM

1,341 posts, read 4,907,535 times
...how is Russell creek, found a lovely rental that if its still available when we get there..would have liked to move on. School feeders looked good..best part was it seemed like it was a great area to explore the cities and then focus on where to buy. Really it depends on if my oldest with pursue IB. If not, then we are open. But if so, we may consider murphy and parker..or the portion of allen that feeds into Plano East.

Old 06-14-2013, 08:31 AM

794 posts, read 1,670,576 times
Plano's IB Academy is starting a bus service for students who live in Plano West or Plano Senior area.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:01 AM

276 posts, read 528,640 times
I rent out two properties in PISD and we always have tenants lined up. Never ever had to keep these on market for more than one week. We always have a tenant with singed contract ready to move in the day previous tenants leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: