Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2013, 10:44 PM

94 posts, read 204,449 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleCreek80 View Post
You need to visit Houston, not just google map surf and think you know it all. Houston has some absolutely gorgeous - and pricey- neighborhoods in the Museum District, West University, River Oaks, etc. The whole medical district area with Rice and the parks & zoo nearby is beautiful! It in NO WAY is similar to Rust Belt cities like Pittsburg, Columbus, etc. IN NO WAY.
I lived in Providence for four years (college). I haven't spent a ton of time in Houston, but from what I've seen, I wholeheartedly agree with the above assessment. We recently visited the medical district area and it really was beautiful. I actually got in to Rice but obviously chose a different college, and I was kinda regretting it on that trip

Providence always seemed a little... depressed. It is hard to explain. Granted, I graduated in the early 2000's and it was definitely on the upswing by then, so it might be a lot different now. But it definitely seemed like a city whose best days were in the past. I don't get that sense with any city in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2013, 08:00 AM

205 posts, read 481,102 times
Im a California native who moved to Phx for college then to South Florida. We moved to Dallas in 2011 stayed one year then moved back to South Florida. Weather wise it was really cold for us the first winter, by the time the second winter came It started getting cold in Sept this past winter and it was really cold for us although we did adjust and I don't think it was that bad but some days were cold! However I think its manageable because its really cold for like a week then warms back up. From what I understand from Texas this past winter was unusually cold.

Old 06-20-2013, 08:24 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,291,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StEt0417 View Post
Im a California native who moved to Phx for college then to South Florida. We moved to Dallas in 2011 stayed one year then moved back to South Florida. Weather wise it was really cold for us the first winter, by the time the second winter came It started getting cold in Sept this past winter and it was really cold for us although we did adjust and I don't think it was that bad but some days were cold! However I think its manageable because its really cold for like a week then warms back up. From what I understand from Texas this past winter was unusually cold.
The last couple of winters have been nothing at all...unusually warm IMHO.

Old 06-20-2013, 05:51 PM

591 posts, read 821,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StEt0417 View Post
StEt0417, were there any other reasons why, besides the cold weather, you guys moved back to South Florida after only living in Dallas for a year?

Old 06-22-2013, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 3,350 times
I grew up in Orlando and have lived in the DFW area half my life now.
The brutal heat seems to be more of a deal breaker for transplants than
the cold. The last few winters I only wore a coat a handful of times. A few winters
ago we got lots of snow! (10 inches once!) But sometimes we go a few years with hardly
any.
I remember my first few winters here -- loved the snow because I did not see any real snow
until I was 16. Yes, it did get cold, but what I noticed is that the humidity was lower so the cold
didn't chill me to the bone the way it can in FL (yes, 50 degrees in Orlando is cold!!)
Ans what is also great is that we will get these warm (60's) sunny days in the winter that are awesome!!

Old 06-24-2013, 01:22 PM

170 posts, read 369,848 times
I am a Southern CA native, transplanted to the east coast, VA and WV, Now living in Dallas. You will not get CA winters anywhere but CA, but, I can happily report that my first winter here in Texas was WONDERFUL! We moved here to get out of the east coast winters (for one reason). The thing that I noticed is that 39 degrees here, feels nothing like 39 degrees on the east coast. There were 40 degree days that I went without a coat, while all the Dallas natives bundled up. It's not the same bone chilling kind of cold. We got a smattering of snow, which melted within hours, much to my pleasure, and had one ice issue but because of the proximity of my home to work, it didnt bother me much.

I am now enduring my first Texas summer. So far so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas