Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-17-2013, 08:53 AM

22 posts, read 37,001 times

Advertisements

Of all the things to have to worry about when moving across the country...My son is 14, has had on braces for two years....I literally have one payment left and they are paid off (5k!!). We are relocating to the Arlington area this summer and I am in a conundrum regarding the braces. Does anyone know a reputable orthodontist that takes patients with braces already on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 09:12 AM

440 posts, read 867,059 times
We had the same issue-3 in braces when we moved and yes we were paid off too-it won't be hard to find an orthodontist to take over treatment-but you will have to pay$$ -Mine is not close to Arlington so he won't be any use to you-but just search online and make some calls

Old 06-17-2013, 09:20 AM

2,825 posts, read 4,461,659 times
Do you know what types of brackets/braces they are currently in?

Old 06-17-2013, 11:48 AM

3,478 posts, read 6,556,577 times
All I can say is NOT Johnson & Collins

Old 06-17-2013, 08:32 PM

574 posts, read 1,478,221 times
Most practices will take him on, but it's something they don't like to do. You will have to pay again, and they may have to make adjustments.

We moved after my daughter had had braces for 18 months. We had prepaid for her treatment to take advantage of a discount. Big mistake! The practice would not refund any portion even though she had another 18 months to go. We moved to Dallas and 3 different orthodontists told us what the previous ortho was doing for treatment was not what they would have chosen to do. After choosing a new ortho they took off some brackets, added other ones, slightly different treatment approach. Had to pay again almost as if it was day 1.

Her braces ended up costing over $7500 between both orthodontists. I told her she better make sure she's using the retainer....!!!!!!

Call around but you should have no problem finding a practice that will finish his treatment. Good luck and be prepared for sticker shock all over again.

Old 06-26-2013, 09:03 PM

98 posts, read 618,994 times
Sigh. I went through this same thing last year and literally stayed put and timed my departure leaving NC before leaving to contract out here. I was lucky my treatment was ending and had them off two weeks before I needed to leave. I was told by Ortho that if he preferred to remove and finish treatment(ensuring retainers fit etc) If I left early I be paying a pretty penny to
have another ortho to remove.

Stay put if you can. It's not worth the extra fees you will end up paying. My treatment as an adult was 6,500 and there was no way I was paying a penny more.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:02 AM

22 posts, read 37,001 times
Thanks, everyone! My son's orthodontist decided that he will be ready to have the braces off and get the retainer before we head down...I almost had a stroke after spending all of that $. I think I will hold off getting my daughter braces until we are sure we are staying in the area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: