Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2013, 01:29 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times

Advertisements

Yes Sir and Yes Ma'am for sure...also we call teachers by "Mr" or "Miz" before their last name (not by their first name) even if they are 20 years younger....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2013, 01:38 PM

931 posts, read 2,134,109 times
Yes

Old 06-24-2013, 01:58 PM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cold As War View Post
I'm surprised by the results.......... Good responses so far
Yer not frum around these parts, are ya?

Old 06-24-2013, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewooder View Post
Yes Sir and Yes Ma'am for sure...also we call teachers by "Mr" or "Miz" before their last name (not by their first name) even if they are 20 years younger....
I really don't like the usage of "Mr" or "Miz" with just the first name.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:02 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,147,800 times
That seems to be a Deep South thing ..also they usually say "Miss" Caroline or whatever even if the lady is married.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:07 PM

Quote:
That seems to be a Deep South thing ..also they usually say "Miss" Caroline or whatever even if the lady is married.
I've even gotten it from telemarketers, but from their thick accents, I don't think they were from around here, either.

Old 06-24-2013, 02:26 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,860,168 times
Quote:
It is very casual to call a person by their first name, especially someone older than you, unless directed to do so upon a close relationship/friendship. It is downright rude for children to call grownups by their first name without a title of some sort; Aunt, Uncle, Mister, Miss.

Old 06-24-2013, 08:13 PM

297 posts, read 512,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaintex View Post
We used both holler and hollar in GA/AL. We have plenty of hollows, so I heard down in the holler quite frequently especially by my grandfather who would say "I'm fixin to plow the field down in the holler." Some people also like to say "I'll hollar at you later", meaning I will talk to you later.

I'm glad Ma'am, Sir, and Y'all are used here. It warms my heart to hear my children say yes ma'am with a southern accent. It sounds so much more respectful than just yes or yeah. It is funny how different "southern" accents and phrases are as you move west. When we moved from GA to AL as a child, the kids made fun of me because I fully pronounced the word towel, and it didn't sound like towl. I also had no clue what a "poke" was as we called it a sack. I had family (or as a lot of southerners say, kin folk) from rural NC that said youns instead of y'all, we thought that was funny.

Now, my children (particulary my daughter who learned to talk in Alabama) have been told they talk funny since we moved here. I am also finding it difficult to refrain from hollaring Roll Tide every time I hear/see something about Johnny Football, but that is another topic.

Well I'll be,
ROLL TIDE!

Native Texan married to a Bama Boy with a kiddo heading to THE U of A. ROLL TIDE ROLL
Grew up hearing y'all, ma'am, sir, please, thank you (or thank ya), thank ya kindly, pardon me
Taught the girls to do the same. Use those pleasantries.

Someone mentioned puny, heard and used that forever.

If ya see us wearing any crimson and white sporting the "A" give us a holler, ROLL TIDE!

Old 06-26-2013, 03:51 AM

364 posts, read 618,854 times
I use to live in Dallas about 17 years ago. I was in middle school Back then. I remember when I heard these words for the first time, it was new. I honestly find these words as a turn off for an area to live in. I don't think Dallas is right For me, doesn't mesh well. Thanks for the responses.

Old 06-26-2013, 04:16 AM

6,848 posts, read 11,797,799 times
Quote:
I honestly find these words as a turn off for an area to live in.
You really find those simple words of respect a turn-off? Seriously?
Quote:
I don't think Dallas is right For me, doesn't mesh well.
Definitely a good decision then, Sir.

Quote:
Thanks for the responses.
You're most welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
View detailed profiles of: