Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2013, 12:28 AM

17 posts, read 62,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoGirl View Post
I write more later when I get the chance, but in the meantime you can search my posts by clicking my username. Lots of Mckinney-related posts there, as we moved for Plano (where we resided for almost 6 years) to Mckinney (where we've been for the past almost 4 years). Hopefully they'll hit some pros and cons that I've experienced in both places for you

I will definitely take a look. That's really helpful! Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 06:47 AM

2,348 posts, read 4,818,172 times
Lots of good information from PG in this one in particular, just to save you some search time. She and Mckinneyowner generally have very accurate views on Mckinney and have lived other places in the metroplex so they can give you wider range of opinion.

This post was helpful to me, so thought I would pass it along. And BTW, there is little "wrong" with McKinney, like any location anywhere you move (in the US anyway) you would want to make sure it's a good match for your priorities. If you don't commute to Dallas, and don't plan to then there are plenty of places to work nearby with reasonable commutes. Just think schools and commute, and location. McKinney is by far the prettiest place I have seen in the MP. If that means anything.

My biggest issue with McKinney has been I can't find a Catholic school within a commutable distance to the town, and the fact it's far from built-out.

//www.city-data.com/forum/dalla...re-trails.html

Last edited by skids929; 07-01-2013 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 06:59 AM

2,674 posts, read 4,393,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MckinneyOwnr View Post
I live in McKinney and love it. However, I work from home most days, and when I'm not, I only have to commute to Plano. If you work near downtown Dallas, I personally wouldn't want to make that trek every day. It's doable, but not ideal. Non rush hour travel time is 30 min, it's 30 miles from my house to Lemmon Ave/uptown area.

There are several parks, a thriving downtown area with lots of things to do/see, and traffic is much better than say Frisco or Plano. There's simply less people living in McKinney.

One of the downsides is that there is not much retail/restaurants compared to Plano or Frisco. However, most things like that are just a short drive away, so it's not that big a deal, but I know we've wished from time to time that we had more restaurants immediately close to us. They're coming though, McKinney is in the middle of a lot of construction. Lots of new houses going up, a Sprouts, and lots of new things by Stonebridge Ranch.

You get more bang for the buck in McKinney than you will find in some surrounding suburbs. A house in Plano of similar size to one in McKinney but older were going for about $25k more in the $250-$300k range when we were looking in 2010, but it's much closer now. McKinney prices have increased dramatically in the last year, especially new construction.

I'm happy with the school system in McKinney at the elementary and middle school levels, we have a daughter on the way and live just a block from an exemplary rated elementary. High school ratings have not been as good, but that is a long ways off for our child, so we have plenty of time to reevaluate and move later if needed.

Overall, McKinney was a great fit for my wife and I, even though she now has a killer commute to Westlake. We don't regret our decision at all. Hope this helps.
No such thing as more 'bang for your buck'. Everything has a trade-off. Distance, school quality, home size, amenities.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:28 AM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
I lived in McKinney for three years - no kids, and it was nice except it was BFE. Nothing fun to do, so a 40 mile roundtrip to get to fun. My gas bill was about equal to my rent most months, and my regular work commute was just to Richardson or south Plano. Also Friday commute back to McKinney stunk with all the bumpkins and business travellers from Oklahoma on 75N. I would often work late on Friday so I didn't have to sit in that. Man that was terrible for my sanity!

Since I've moved, I think I've been back to McKinney once, for jury duty.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:35 AM

92 posts, read 169,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyDay View Post
No such thing as more 'bang for your buck'. Everything has a trade-off. Distance, school quality, home size, amenities.
I agree completely. People who pay more for less in Plano and Park Cities know this very well that they are paying for location, commute, schools, established neighborhoods, resale and convenience of having everything at their finger tips. However, its about priorities so others don't mind moving to outskirts of the state as long as they get a new house and its perfectly fine. One can't have everything on a limited budget. As far as resale goes, apple to apple similar homes have better resale in Plano vs McKinney.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:38 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,576 times
Quote:
True!

Old 07-01-2013, 01:21 PM

6,255 posts, read 17,097,598 times
Quote:
I see. Take two homes in McKinney. Both the same size. Both in neighborhoods that offer the same amenities. Both within the same square mile, same schools. One is priced at $100 a sq ft, the other at $90 a sq ft. Same builder.

Which one do you think is the better value?

Not everything is a trade off. Some homes and areas are priced better than others even AFTER you've accounted for all the things you mention, and that's why a term like "bang for your buck" exists.

Same concept applies to cars as well... which is the example I gave you 1.5 years ago when you said there's no such thing as bang for your buck then too.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:25 PM

I think there is a contextual element to the statement 'bang for your buck' greyday is missing..It is "your" buck after all.

Although, in an a pure economic context I tend to agree with the "there is no free lunch" mantra, the reality is, real estate purchases often boil down to personal priorties and how they align with the buyers financial capability. Not just an economic view, in the end we're all just human.

Last edited by skids929; 07-01-2013 at 01:35 PM..

Old 07-01-2013, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOverdog View Post
I lived in McKinney for three years - no kids, and it was nice except it was BFE. Nothing fun to do, so a 40 mile roundtrip to get to fun. My gas bill was about equal to my rent most months, and my regular work commute was just to Richardson or south Plano. Also Friday commute back to McKinney stunk with all the bumpkins and business travellers from Oklahoma on 75N. I would often work late on Friday so I didn't have to sit in that. Man that was terrible for my sanity!

Since I've moved, I think I've been back to McKinney once, for jury duty.

Really this post just makes you look like you're your own worst enemy with life decisions!!

Let's move the epicenter of kids and Soccer moms, with no kids!! Of course it was going to feel boring. Hello!

We all know McKinney has a fantastic downtown and plenty to do..Maybe no Led Zeppelin cover band concerts on the weekends is all.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:17 PM

5,264 posts, read 6,404,424 times
Quote:
Really this post just makes you look like you're your own worst enemy with life decisions!!
Maybe I am, but I was living there because it was cheap, and the gas and rent were less than rent alone when I moved back to N Dallas. Also McKinney looked nice and hilly from the outside on a visit, and the rent house was brand new, and I thought i liked driving, so the commuting idea seemed ok.

McKinney isn't all bad. I had a giant empty rolling prarie behind my house with a secret creek, so that was alright. I was a pretty boring person when I moved there too, but met some more exciting people shortly after moving there.

Also I'm not old enough to think highly of Led Zepplin, but that's for another thread.

Also I personally think it's a really bad idea for any of the DFW suburbs to build entire cities only meant for people in one stage of their life, and that doesn't bode well for their future, but that's also for another thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas