Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-01-2013, 12:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,163 times

Advertisements

I am a single, white, straight female in my mid-thirties with no kids. I am moving to dallas soon and need reassurance on the best area to reside (apartment). I don't have a job yet, but don't mind a temporary long commute (I have done up to 2.5 hours in bad weather) since I can move after a year or so lease after I become more acquainted with the area. I would like to live in an area within a 30 min drive to social activities and less than 20 min drive to trails or outdoor activities for exercise. I don't want to live in a noisy area loaded with college students or loud drunk people (is that how uptown and "the village" is?). I can afford higher rent, but will prefer to pay $1200 or less if I could for a decent safe place. I was thinking Addison? Plano? or Richardson? Possibly Irving? because I was thinking uptown area might be too "young". I have been reading apartment ratings and they are scaring me. Are there any other neighborhoods that are within that price range/distance to activity and that are quiet and safe that I haven't mentioned (need at least 700 square feet with washer and dryer so that limits some places)? Most of the posts I have read refer to 20 somethings or other specifics. Thanks!

Last edited by needinfo2013; 07-01-2013 at 01:00 AM.. Reason: to add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 01:48 AM

2,414 posts, read 3,487,046 times
I would recommend Dallas proper. It's the biggest job center, and close to everything else on your wish list. Check out the Knox/Henderson area it sounds like a great fit for you. The Knox side has a lot of restaurants and shops, and there are some great apartments near the Katy Trail. Henderson has more bars and a lot of new apartments further down. Look between Henderson and bennett st. That will also put you close to Greenvile avenue with lots more bars/restaurants. Check out White Rock Lake and the Santa Fe Trail.

I think the drunk college party thing gets a little over-hyped in Uptown, but it depends on where you are. None of the apartments I've been in seemed that way, but I've never lived in Uptown. I live nearby in Oak Lawn which would fit your budget better. I get occasional noise from neighbors, but I prefer it to the loud kids I had as neighbors in far north Dallas.

Old 07-01-2013, 01:50 AM

4,490 posts, read 4,983,147 times
Look into living in historic downtown plano.

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Texas...-II-Apartments

Or

http://www.apartmentfinder.com/Texas...mar-Apartments

Last edited by Gilah G.; 07-01-2013 at 01:58 AM..

Old 07-01-2013, 05:28 AM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
There are some semi-newer apartments in the Vista Ridge Mall area of Lewisville that would be a great location for you.
You can get from there to anywhere in the Dallas / Plano / Irving / Richardson areas easily.
Problem would be if you were to find a job in Ft Worth or South Arlington.

Old 07-01-2013, 05:31 AM

2,169 posts, read 5,171,745 times
Knox-Henderson is a good choice, as mentioned above, and you're near the Katy Trail for exercise.

You also might try Las Colinas in Irving. Lots of young professionals and apartment communities and it's relatively quiet, safe, and well-maintained. While there isn't a ton to do in Las Colinas itself, it's within a half-hour drive of Uptown and other points of interest in the city. Also, since you don't have a job yet, that would put you a bit more in the central part of the Metroplex in case you get a job that's not in Dallas proper. Here's a link on Las Colinas: THE HILLS ARE ALIVE!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:45 AM

6,952 posts, read 22,688,447 times
I also vote Las Colinas for the central location and proximity to much of everything w/i 20-30 minutes. Very safe part of Irving, with a private police force in addition to the city police. Nice walking trails at the Campion Trails. Lots of young professionals. It is a pretty sedate environment and -- tho it has tons of restaurants with happy hours galore -- Uptown has the bar scene with walkability. Also there are 3 DART stations right in the area for rail travel.

Las Colinas Association

Old 07-01-2013, 05:36 PM

13,194 posts, read 28,298,950 times
I would focus IN Dallas- either Uptown, Turtle Creek/ Oak Lawn, or Knox-Henderson. It is not just for 20-something's; there are plenty of 30-40+ year old's there too!

If you're concerned about a building being full of partiers, try to visit on a weekend afternoon in warmer months. The pool scene should help you gauge the party-meter of the building

The high rises along Turtle Creek will be the quietest buildings & pools, except for 3225 Turtle Creek.

Old 07-01-2013, 06:10 PM

2,206 posts, read 4,748,197 times
I'd also look around Legacy or Austin Ranch.

The Shops at Legacy

Austin Ranch

Old 07-01-2013, 09:25 PM

2 posts, read 2,163 times
Thanks for all the suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas