Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:33 AM

88 posts, read 201,942 times

Advertisements

Are there any family friendly parks, ponds, etc in Allen? Do the neighborhoods have interconnecting sidewalks that actually go somewhere? I'm quite familiar with Richardson's Prairie Creek area with the park and all the connecting sidewalks. Any chance of anything close to that in Allen, or easy access to the parks/ponds if the sidewalks don't go that far? Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 09:44 AM

92 posts, read 169,978 times
All Collin County towns have Parks, Nature Reserves, walking trails so you don't need to worry about that. Allen is no exception, you'll get all that but not all neighborhoods were created identically so it depends on where in Allen you buy.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:02 AM

I'm hearing some negative reviews on Lovejoy? I will need a good elementary and middle school...any suggestions on schools and neighborhoods? Is East Allen really that bad, especially the schools? Are there bullying/discipline problems in the schools? When I attended Plano schools, there were drug problems, suicides, etc, is this an issue in Allen? Is there any diversity in Allen? West Allen seems like it may be out of our price range of $250,000 - $325,0000. Are there more walking trails/parks on one side of the city than the other? Thanks for responding!!

Old 07-01-2013, 12:10 PM

11,855 posts, read 26,876,979 times
The drug problems and suicides in Plano ISD schools were back in the 1980s-early 1990s. (We are about the same age!) A lot has changed since then, and those issues no longer exist.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:29 PM

794 posts, read 1,670,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miz77 View Post
I'm hearing some negative reviews on Lovejoy? I will need a good elementary and middle school...any suggestions on schools and neighborhoods? Is East Allen really that bad, especially the schools? Are there bullying/discipline problems in the schools? When I attended Plano schools, there were drug problems, suicides, etc, is this an issue in Allen? Is there any diversity in Allen? West Allen seems like it may be out of our price range of $250,000 - $325,0000. Are there more walking trails/parks on one side of the city than the other? Thanks for responding!!
Plano schools had a bad episode decades ago with uber rich kids but that was nipped in the bud. Since decades PISD's discipline, sports, academics, extra curriculars and top of the chart performance are used as examples, it seems that you've been gone for long. Do some research, Allen schools are ok but your kid would be much better off in East Plano schools compared to East Allen. Love joy is trying but its a new and small district without enough experience, well oiled system or pool of academically gifted children to raise the bar to same standard as the top schools. You may also want to look into NE Richardson(PISD) in 75082.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:35 PM

What is the gifted program like in elementary and middle PISD like now a days? How it works where I am, there are no programs for kids who are gifted in math.....so if they can't draw well and fail their "creativity" test, they don't make it into the program. Also, I was reading posts about police in Allen being over zealous....any truth to that? So the snob/materialism factor is less in Plano now as well? I am thinking west Plano over east....and I heard there are now 3 Plano high schools, are any better than the other, not just on paper, but based on experiences?

Old 07-01-2013, 04:09 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times
Quote:
What is the gifted program like in elementary and middle PISD like now a days? How it works where I am, there are no programs for kids who are gifted in math.....so if they can't draw well and fail their "creativity" test, they don't make it into the program. Also, I was reading posts about police in Allen being over zealous....any truth to that? So the snob/materialism factor is less in Plano now as well? I am thinking west Plano over east....and I heard there are now 3 Plano high schools, are any better than the other, not just on paper, but based on experiences?
There are three Senior High Schools (grades 11-12) in Plano. The statistics seem to rank the schools as:
1. Plano West
2. Plano
3. Plano East

Lately, I've heard much less about Plano West seceding as a city and a school district from the rest of the less desirable Plano. They may have gone underground though.

Gifted Education / PACE : Plano ISD
http://www.timelesswayfoundation.org...Math_Rocks.pdf

Old 07-01-2013, 04:11 PM

So is Plano West the same Plano West that existed before they built the 3rd school?

Old 07-01-2013, 04:16 PM

8,057 posts, read 12,860,718 times
Quote:
Are there any family friendly parks, ponds, etc in Allen? Do the neighborhoods have interconnecting sidewalks that actually go somewhere? I'm quite familiar with Richardson's Prairie Creek area with the park and all the connecting sidewalks. Any chance of anything close to that in Allen, or easy access to the parks/ponds if the sidewalks don't go that far? Thanks again!!
One of the greatest greenspaces in all of the DFW metro area (IMHO) is the Oak Point Nature reserve in East Plano. It is right at the Plano/Allen border so easy access from Allen. I live in McKinney and it is one of our favorite places to go take the dog on a walk.

Old 07-01-2013, 04:18 PM

2,353 posts, read 3,862,338 times
Plano West IS the third senior high school.

There are six high schools (9-10 grades):
Plano West fed from Jasper & Shelton.
Plano fed from Clark & Vines.
Plano East fed from McMillen & Williams.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Dallas